PDA

View Full Version : Am I being over the top here?

Lady Haha
02-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Some kids had a frisbee in the playground at school drop off today. It's a really small playground and is packed at drop off and pick up time with children, mums, dads, cms:) , and toddlers in buggies etc.

Well, anyway, some to the kids were throwing a frisbee about and it nearly hit me three times, only missed cos I saw it coming and moved! I normally watch the five kids that are with me playing so that I know where they all are, but today I couldn't relax as needed to know where that frisbee was! I was so worried it could of hit a child or even worse, a toddler or baby in a buggy.

After the kids had all gone in, I complained to the school office about it and they made a note, but not sure what they will do.

I'm just wondering if I'm being abit over the top by complaining? And as I made my feelings quite clear in the playground by shouting 'whose frisbee is that???', everyone will know it was me that complained:blush: Now I'm scared I'll get one of those nasty parents making a false complaint to ofsted about me!

angeldelight
02-04-2009, 08:51 AM
I do not think you are being over the top at all - they hurt if you get hit by one

I think they are ok in a big field or on the beach but even then I do not really like them to be honest

They are not allowed them at our school

Let us know what they say

Angel xx

miffy
02-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with Angel - it was obviously a dangerous thing to do in a small space.

Don't worry too much

Miffy xx

LOOPYLISA
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
I think you are right, our school wouldn't allow it :thumbsup:

RedDragon
02-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm always one of the parents who if I see things going on in the playground I sort it out. You get the year 6 (aged 10) trying to climb the big tree or throwing their lunch boxes up the tree, or generally messing about.

Loads of parents just walk past but I (and a few usually fellow CM's) can't just leave it. I tend to say either "Come on lads, time to go into class now" or "There's a teacher watching you through that window there" (there isn't).

If we leave things then they think they can do more and more. I would have said something.
I do worry that because it's ME that has said something my youngest child may get picked on by the children I have told off but I try to get other parents involved so I am not fighting the battle on my own.

Well done for standing up - you have a responsibility to keep the children safe - and of course you don't want to get hit by a flying object yourself.

If you are concerned at all about any come back write it all down in your incident book - date/time/what happened etc

haribo
02-04-2009, 09:18 AM
thats exactly what id have done and what stupid parents let their kids throw a frisbee in a packed playground ?? and yes i think childminders are quite likely to speak up more as we have a responsibility to keep our charges safe, im always pointing out stupid behaviour whilst parents look the other way or carry on chatting :rolleyes:

Lady Haha
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone! The adrenaline has subsided a bit now lol!

Good idea to mark it in the incident book though, I would never have thought of that! Can't hurt can it!

Bushpig
02-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I am like you, a doer. I cannot just stand by and let things happen like this - especially when there are kids involved. Good on you!:thumbsup:

bubbly
02-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I think you did exactly the right thing :clapping:

How stupid throwing a frisbee on a crowded school playground!

I would've complained too.

LittleMissSparkles
02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
I would have complained too to the school office, our playground isnt suppost to have any toys or scooters brought into it but once they get to the gate they can do what they like iyswim, there are so many children taht have them fold up scooter things they try zoom in between you and on ccasion have knocked my kids over trying to squeeze through and I have not been impressed with their manners and tell them they need to slow down and say excuse me not barge through... usually goes in one ear and out the next to be honest though x

Hebs
02-04-2009, 11:26 AM
i agree i would have complained

they arn't allowed in our school either :thumbsup:

RedDragon
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Once I saw a child hit another child really nastily.
The "hitter" was from a very tough family (even the Grandma had been to prison):eek:
I typed a letter saying what I had seen and that I was sickened etc.
I wrote it as if I was a dad with a little girl when in fact I'm a mum with older boy.

I put the letter in an envelope marked it Private and Confidential and slipped it on Reception desk.

My stomach was in knots for days afterwards but I coudn't just let it lie and felt this was the best way to tell someone without putting myself in any danger.

helenlc
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
They do not allow kids at our school to ride bikes or scooters in the playground - in my opinion, a frisbee can cause just as much harm, escpecially to little ones. I would have said something too.

gegele
02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
well they wouldn't want to throw things around me or my kids on a bad morning!!! ah ah ah ah ah ah :laughing: i think talking to the kids might help, surely some must still have a bit of respect in their genetics somewhere....