PDA

View Full Version : First day with new mindee went well (apart from the dog sick!)

amirose
02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
For anyone who didn't see previous post my dog has been sick about 10 times since yesterday and she decided to start 15 minutes before the school run :rolleyes:

Anyway I think it went really well. She is 6 and alot more grown up than my other mindee whose 5 and also a girl. Shes very very chatty and a bit bossy but in a cute kind of way!

She ate all her dinner (cleaned the plate) which was lamb curry with rice and peas followed by rice pudding :thumbsup:

Shes here until 9.15pm and I have agreed with mum to get her ready for bed then lay her on the sofa at 8pm until mum arrives to collect. So I did this and obviously with it being her first day she didn't really settle. I turned of all the electric lights so we just had the light from the TV and kept that turned down low. She kept asking me (referring to the TV) why is that happening, what are they doing that for? etc and I kept saying its quiet time now time to rest. It was working as she started to settle but my other half Steve just could not help himself - they got into a full blown conversation about peppers :rolleyes: So I said a couple of times, calmy K its quiet time now and my my other half's going shes not tired :panic: And there's me trying to explain its her routine she will get used to it but its her first day but no he couldn't help himself.

Of course I told him right off when she left :laughing: I said if you can't ignore her give her one word answers and don't engage in conversation if you don't let her settle you are going to put up with her chatting and giggling until 9pm twice a week and that's going to drive you potty believe me! I also told him it was selfish to not let her settle as she has school in the morning. He did say sorry - also had to tell him off for swearing again :eek:

Anyway I'm sure if I'm consistent she will get used to the routine, I had a feeling she wouldn't settle tonight with it being her first day but I feel its important to set the routine from day one rather than try and change it in a weeks time. If my other half would just stop chatting to her then she would get bored and then fall asleep!

The best thing was after they left I got a text from K's mum saying "Thanks so much she really enjoyed herself and I appreciate the lift home" :D

haribo
02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
sounds like it went well and im sure she will soon get used to the routine of lying down quietly-its also nice that your other half is at least trying to help lol sounds like they got on well better that than him not being interested in the mindees, it must be a bit restrictive having to put her down so he sounds supportive- apart from being a chatterbox too haha :laughing:

huggableshelly
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
glad your day went well and hope your dog is feeling better.

amirose
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
sounds like it went well and im sure she will soon get used to the routine of lying down quietly-its also nice that your other half is at least trying to help lol sounds like they got on well better that than him not being interested in the mindees, it must be a bit restrictive having to put her down so he sounds supportive- apart from being a chatterbox too haha :laughing:

Your post made me smile :)
I hadn't really thought about it but your right it is nice he is making an an effort, they were making a "band" with the musical instruments together while I made dinner, K has has really taken a shine to him - he really is very good with the kids :thumbsup:
Maybe I will be a bit nicer to him when he gets home from work :laughing:

Demonjill
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Glad it went well for you. :clapping:
Hope your dog feels bit better now!!