PDA

View Full Version : Fire resistant doors and walls!?!

jackiepaper
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
:) Hi there all! I'm a real newbie just about to start up the registration process, but I am in a state of collapse after reading the Fire Precaution in Domestic Childminding Premesis booklet re. fire resistant construction of doors (self closing) and walls... it makes sense of course, but blimey - we'll need to re-mortgage to achieve that lot.
Our house is 150 years old, with 1960's hollow doors plus the kitchen and bathroom doors have a glass pane in them, the internal partition walls are mostly plasterboard, but some are hardboard. I wanted to change the doors eventually - but put new walls up....:panic: And all this work needs to be done by a competent person who can give us a certificate, so no DIY either to cut costs either :panic: ... Are we doomed before we even start :( ?

Any advice/input would be greatly appreaciated :o

Thanks in advance

:) jackie xxxx

sarah707
02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
If you are concerned, you need to ring the Fire Brigade for a free home safety assessment.

They will come out and talk you through what they think you need to do.

Don't panic until you've done that!! :D

Pedagog
02-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Stop panicking, as Sarah says phone local fire station and ask for a free fire home assessment (don't mention you are a childminder when booking).

rickysmiths
02-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I had the Firemen come out. The children thought it was great fun, their very own fire engine on the drive! They let the children on the fire engine and pulled the hoses off it was great! One of the Firemen was even a Registered Childminder!!!!:clapping:

They fitted new 10year battery Smoke alarms FREE, nothing wrong with the ones I had but they thought I would like the ones with the 10year batteries.

They looked at my evacuation plan and advised me what to do if the children were in the house and there was a problem.

Can't wait for the naxt visit in 3 years.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

jackiepaper
02-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the reassurance advice! That is good to know that what we have may be okay. Sorry I panicked..:blush:

rickysmiths - that sounds like real fun hehe :jump for joy: , great they were helpful rather than doom and gloomy!

I think I am just worried about our house, we bought it 7 years ago and it needed a heck of a lot of work doing to it. We have put a new roof on and refurbed upstairs, but we have things to do to spruice up the downstairs and garden - but it needs doing even if we weren't thinking about childminding. The house is warm, cosy and clean and the rooms are painted nice, but we just can't afford to do all we want to do - like say new kitchen and bathroom and stripping all internal walls and replacing the old doors. I am worried we'll get turned down because it might not be up to scratch..

FussyElmo
02-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Dont think you will be turned down your house would have to be a danger zone.

My house is very much like yours plenty of stuff needs to be done but never got the money to do so.

If you think something is dangerous RA it and this will show you are thinking about it.

We all get a panic on now and again:)

jackiepaper
03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
:) Thanks FuzzyElmo! The Care Commission and the lady from SCMA are coming for initial visits in 2 weeks - so fingers crossed!!