PDA

View Full Version : Help for my foundation degree please

dolphinannie
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi ladies and gents

I am currently in my second year of my foundation degree in early years and one of my assignments is about kep persons in different settings. I work in a school and have spoken to a day nursery but do no know any childminders so though i would try my luck here. :)

If you could possible spare 5 mins or so answering a few questions and giving as much detail as possible it would be a huge help.

If you have a new spin on the questions i have asked then please offer them up as i am always looking for new ideas.
Thanks for your time in advance and its greatly appreciated.

1 . What do you understand the key person (KP) system to be?

2. Do you have a KP system in place in your setting?

3. Does the child have a settling in period before starting in your setting?

4. Do parents have the oppertunity to share information with the KP about thier child before the child starts?

5. how does the KP monitor and record a child's progress? Does this information help with planning?

6. If you are a solitary child minder, do you have support in place to discuss difficult issues and feelings?

7. How do you deal with illnesses/holidays in yourself and other staff you may have? What happens to the children in these circumstances? How do children react to time away form their KP, have they had the oppertunity to form bonds with others who may care for them in illnesses and holidays?

Thank you sooo much, i know its a lot of questions really.
Annie x x

sarah707
02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
I'll have a look when I am finished tonight.. not ignoring you, just busy today! :D

Roseolivia
02-04-2009, 08:27 AM
1. I understand the key person to be the one who has certain children and it's that person's responsibility to do all the planning, obs etc for those children.
2. As i work on my own i am my mindees key person.
3. I prefer children to have settling in periods before they start. They may come for a couple of hours a week (up to 4 weeks before start date) and when they have started properly i have a 4 week settling in period where i or parents can cancel the contract without notice.
4.Before a child starts i invite parents round for a chat and also give them a child record form and a child info sheet (can record routines, food, likes etc).
5. I write a daily diary of what the child has done and link it to the EYFS, i take photos and link them to the EYFS and also the same with observations.
6. I have support from other childminders as in my area they are all friendly and helpful, i have this forum and also the child development worker.
7. If i am ill i cancel the mindees from coming and it's up to the parents to sort out an alternative, although if it's a long sickness i would try to offer an alternative back up minder. This has never happened with me so my mindees have never had to be in someone elses care.

Hope this all helps. I'm doing the F.Degree through the OU but am only on E123.

louloudi
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi annie, also doing foundation degree and I know how difficult it can be to get your research done so I don't mind helping out :)

KP is someone who is responsible for a particular child, they liase with parents and build a relationship with the child.

Yes there me and only me

Yes, It tend to differ though depending on the child and their background.

4. Do parents have the oppertunity to share information with the KP about thier child before the child starts?
Yes I have a shed load of paperwork to go through before a child starts so I tend to share alot of info here. I also use a form to give to parents, questions about their childs individual needs, likes etc for them to fill out.

5. how does the KP monitor and record a child's progress? Does this information help with planning?
observations notes get recorded in a childs' 'learning journey' this info informs planning in accordance to EYFS, interests are followed and dicated planning.

6. If you are a solitary child minder, do you have support in place to discuss difficult issues and feelings?
We have an early years team at the LA. network co-ordinator were I discussed issues with other childminders. Also this forum

7. How do you deal with illnesses/holidays in yourself and other staff you may have? What happens to the children in these circumstances? How do children react to time away form their KP, have they had the oppertunity to form bonds with others who may care for them in illnesses and holidays?

I have a policy that informs the parents of procedures. If I'm ill or the children are they can't attend. The parent has to seek alternative arrangements. I do have a note of other childminders if I am ill. I've never had any problems with children returing after holiday periods etc

Hope this helps

madasahatter
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
1 . What do you understand the key person (KP) system to be?The person who has the main responsibility for the child's welfare and observations/planning etc

2. Do you have a KP system in place in your setting?I am a childminder working on my own so I am their key person

3. Does the child have a settling in period before starting in your setting?yes, this is dependent on time available for the family. It may be one visit or preferably a series of visits

4. Do parents have the oppertunity to share information with the KP about thier child before the child starts?yes every day I complete a daily diary and have brief discussions with parents

5. how does the KP monitor and record a child's progress? Does this information help with planning?I use written observations, photographs, pieces of work etc linking them to the eyfs to build up a 'learning journey'

6. If you are a solitary child minder, do you have support in place to discuss difficult issues and feelings?I am a member of a network and have a development officer to provide me with support. I also meet up weekly with other childminders, we share planning ideas and organise trips out together. The forum here is also a good source of support. As we generally don't know other forum members personally you can discuss issues whilst maintaining a good degree of confidentiality

If I am ill (only had 1 ill day in last 4 years) I contact parents as soon as possible to make alternative arrangements which usually involves the children's family members. Consequently it is not normally an issue because the children already have firm bonds with them.

Hope that helps

sarah707
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
You've had some good answers already!

I was also going to suggest you ask people on teaching forums as well, you might find some of the answers different.

Good luck with your degree :D

dolphinannie
02-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Thank you soooo much everyone, if ayone else wants to add then please feel free.
Sarah - i have spoken to a number of schools as this is where i am based and have a wider range of contacts, its amazing how each and every school differs.

Good luck to all others on FD, its hard but will be so worth it in the end :D xxx

The Juggler
09-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Having one main person as a point of contact for both parents and child with whom the child can form a secure attachment from which s/he can explore and learn.

Yes, me.

Yes, as the parents wish. I offer the parents as many visits with the child as they need (within reason). Then I offer 2 x 2 hour sessions free and if more are needed I provide them but they are paid for.

Yes, I seek information from the parents through informal discussion about their routines, habits and likes/dislikes and gain additional data through forms which the parents complete before their child starts.

I observe the children, evaluate the observations and plan next steps for each child. All of the evaluation and planning is linked to the observations.

I have good support network of peer childminders and peer students (on the Foundation Degree). THE NCMA offer practical and legal advice on issues . I keep an eye on the forum for advice also but I think there is a lack (in my area) of access to an early years advisor of development officer who has enough contact to offer constructive or readily available advice.

Because of these issues I rarely have time off sick. On the rare occasions I have had to take time off at short notice parents have taken leave. For holidays I give plenty of notice so parents can arrange for holiday themselves/family cover. Occasionally, a minded child has gone to another minder who they and their parent already know and have eaten and slept as normal which indicates their level of security with them.

I have covered for a child who knows me but where mum does not and also these occasions have gone smoothly.

Good luck. am currently completing my research too!

Deb
09-04-2009, 02:30 PM
. What do you understand the key person (KP) system to be? I am the key person, as I am the only person

2. Do you have a KP system in place in your setting? yes I guess so

3. Does the child have a settling in period before starting in your setting? yes if the parent requires it, or indeed the child. sometimes older children know me and the other children that attend so they dont always have a settling in period, but babies and younger preschoolers often do.

4. Do parents have the oppertunity to share information with the KP about thier child before the child starts?yes of course, parents are welcome to come and spend some time here and there are lots of things I need to know from them and other carers.

5. how does the KP monitor and record a child's progress? Does this information help with planning? i do regular observations and use these for forward planning.

6. If you are a solitary child minder, do you have support in place to discuss difficult issues and feelings?Yes, I use this forum, my network colleagues and other minding friends - it is important not to isolate yourself.

7. How do you deal with illnesses/holidays in yourself and other staff you may have? What happens to the children in these circumstances? How do children react to time away form their KP, have they had the oppertunity to form bonds with others who may care for them in illnesses and holidays?I work with another minder that the children know well, so IF I am ill and cant work (ha!) the parents have that option.

Happy to help, I am considering doing my foundation degree next, how are you finding the work load?

The Juggler
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi annie, also doing foundation degree and I know how difficult it can be to get your research done so I don't mind helping out :)

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but I am looking for childminders and practitioners who are doing level 4 and above at the moment. I am also in the middle of my research project for my foundation degree! Would you mind filling in a quick questionnaire for me also. I promise to return the favour if you need it.

Questionnaire attached.

Thanks