PDA

View Full Version : Mindees playing out

louloudi
01-04-2009, 01:38 PM
As the summer approachs the children are often in the garden after school. I live in a street with loads of children who obviously go to school with mindees. I often take them to the park so they can play with their friends 1hr at most really as I have a lo too who is toilet training.
The problem I have is that the mindees always want to play out with their friends or asking if they can play in. Do any of you allow this? would my insurance etc cover me? I have said no as I feel I have enough children to mind I don't want the whole street in!!! They often stand at the fence and talk to each other.. then I feel bad as I only allow them to interact over a barrier. It'll probably get worse when the weathers better.
Do any of you allow your mindees to play out? how do you overcome these issues?
p.s when mindees play inthe garden I just leave the door open as some are in and some are out. Is this ok practice as I certainmy can't be in two places at once and I can only see half my garden through my window???

I'll shut up now...but opinions appreciated:D

FussyElmo
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I dont let my mindees play out nor do let their friends play in...else you soon end up the area babysitter.

Not sure of the rules on letting them outside but could see it being a minefield if there was an accident.

tammerisk
01-04-2009, 02:41 PM
you are not aloud to let mindees out to play on thier own you have to supervise them all the time if out and do risk assesment for it!!!
sorry

i would go to the park amd let them play or let them in your house so long as i don't put you over your numbers for reg and insurence i.e if they are over eight
as you are responsable for them in your house if the parent not there

Tatia
01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Get a travel potty for your lo who is potty training. A tenner (or possibly cheaper) from Mothercare and they are a godsend, they really are. They fold up flat so it's no trouble to transport.:thumbsup:

But to answer your real question, no, I wouldn't let them play out nor would I allow other children to come in. And if mindees are outside, you should be, too.:)

ChocolateChip
01-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I had this dilemma last year, although the parents were happy for 1 to play out with my son, the insurance won't cover you or them if they are not in your direct supervision (sight or sound).
So this year it will not happen, I will have to go out with them.
I think you are ok letting them in the garden as long as you can see/hear what's going on, but I would be wary of letting others in to play for several reasons:
a) you must stay in your numbers whether they are 'payers' or not
b) people will often take advantage and as others have said you will end up with certain ones all the time
c) i have found that if you have a 'freebie' around, some parents get funny about why they are paying you when others present are not
d) other children may not be familiar with 'your rules' and cause problems

So personally mine only go out with me, and I don't have anyone else in as it just causes too many problems, I just blame it all on the insurance if anyone asks! :D

huggableshelly
01-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I dont let mine play out nor do i allow friends in unless its prearranged by myself and a parent and I have the space to do so.

tinkerbelle
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
i let mine out to play with parents signature however i do go on the front garden and i can see and hear them at all times i also have kids in as we live in a cul-de-sac so my 3 go to the same school as kids on street they are my kids friends as well only when my numbers allow though
i do know of a minder who allows her mindees to roam the streets one of them ended up at my house 2 years ago to play with my mindee :angry: i soon stopped that when i realised she was supposed to be minding him i wasnt watching him whilst she was being paid to no way

patconn2
01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I think it depends on your environment and your inspector. We live in a village in a cul-de-sac where everyone has kids and they all go to the village school. Previous inspectors have been fine so long as kids are on the street or in the park at the end and parents have signed permission slips agreeing to limited responsibility. The terror who inspected me this time never asked so I have left things as they are!

jeanybeany
01-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Interesting reading!

I mind my sons friend who is 10 and I am facing this dilemma now as my son wants to go out with his friends (also mindees friends) to the park. I feel awful as I can't let one go without the other, but donot want my son to miss out and be stuck in all summer. Mindee's parents are fine with him going out and have signed a form but as yet I have not let them. I can't really go with them (street cred and that) and also because another child I mind has tendencies to run off and don't really want to risk this when I am out as I feel it's too risky when I have lo's to watch as well. So I will be reading the replies with interest! :) :) :) :)

tammerisk
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
my development worker said before last sept it was ok but with the new registers and frame work it is not aloud

louloudi
01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
my development worker said before last sept it was ok but with the new registers and frame work it is not aloud

sorry to sound thick but by new registers do you mean the legalities of letting children out of your sight?

louloudi
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
And if mindees are outside, you should be, too.:)

I am outside of they are but some want to play in and other want to be in the garden how do you facilitate this then??
I just tend to leave the door open and check on each group???

TheBTeam
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
As far as i know the mindees of any age have to be in your sight or hearing and it would not therefore be allowed to let them go off to the park on their own or play streets away, i would be very careful even if one or two ofsted inspectors let this go, it is for your safety and you wouldn't want to find your insurance invalid.

one of my mindees wanted to go to the park just behind our house last summer, they tried to convince me that i could see them if i looked out of my sons bedroom window, or stood on my conservatory sofa peering out of the window or if they were really loud and gobby i could hear them!!! I didn't let them go:laughing: :laughing:

busylizzie
01-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I personally dont allow any child of any age to play out without me being there.I do have mindees friends to play but only if it doesnt conflict with my numbers.I know its diffulcult as they get older ,I look after a 10 yr old whose friends are all playing out but she accepts thats just the way it is and I do allow them to play occasionally in my garden with us if I have space and they behave.

nokidshere
02-04-2009, 01:07 AM
I allow my mindees to play unsupervised outside my house in a cul de sac with parental permission slips from the age of 7. They have to stay in sight of the house and they are not allowed to play out alone.

There are no legal reasons (that I am aware of) that preclude this happening. You cannot keep children boxed in all the time, whether that be in the house, the garden or a park. Also they need unsupervised outdoor play as much as they need it indoors to learn and develop.

As for allowing other children in to play, I don't mind that as long as it doesn't take me over my numbers.