PDA

View Full Version : Would you expect a cooked meal at 4pm?

Willowdancer
01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I have my new mindees (who start with me next week) coming to tea after school tomorrow so they can meet our three children etc.

I haven't decided what to make yet - do you think they would be expecting a hot meal? Can't make up my mind between that or a tea party sort of thing!

WWYD?

miffy
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I would just use this as a play opportunity and wouldn't be providing food at all, other than a drink and a snack.

Then discuss with parents what type of meal, if any they want providing from next week.

Hope the visit goes well :)

Miffy xx

mandy moo
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
This may sound silly but, What would you normally do?

Mouse
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Same as Miffy. At that time I'd just offer a snack & drink. At a push I'd do a cold party-type tea, but I definitely wouldn't cook that early.

Willowdancer
01-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Well, if it was just my own children then I wouldn't be offering them anything at all as 4pm isnt that far off their usual dinner time.

I have to do my PTA committee duty and knock up some cakes for our cake bake we have after school on Friday afternoon, so I could make extras for when the new girls are here tomorrow and have fruit etc available if they want it.

Mouse
01-04-2009, 01:48 PM
That sounds like a good idea. You might find they're so excited & busy that they don't want to eat anyway.

tulip0803
01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I would just do fruit & drink at that time. They will probably want to play

avril
01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree a drink and snack then lots of time to look around and play settle in a bit better than sitting at a table. :thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
How long will they be with you?
My normal routine is to have an after school snack of fruit, drink and a biscuit or small cake, etc, around 3.40 not too much as we have cooked tea at 5pm.
So if they are expecting tea I would say go with your idea of a party tea until you know more about what foods they like/ can have.

breezy
01-04-2009, 03:46 PM
some of your cakes sound like a good idea

estrelas
01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
i'd have little snacks too.

on the first day with mine we had a picnic on the floor :blush:

Twinkles
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Hmmm I think you ought to send me some of the cakes to test first , just to make sure they're ok :thumbsup:

Willowdancer
02-04-2009, 05:45 AM
On their way to you Twinkles - hope they don't get too mushed up coming down the wires! :D

Thanks everybody - will do cakes (home-made of course to make me look like an outstanding childminder even if I haven't got a grading yet :thumbsup: ), some other snacky bits and drinks.

Fingers crossed they all get on as I'm in at the deep end next week - full time during the holidays! :panic:

miffy
02-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Fingers crossed they all get on as I'm in at the deep end next week - full time during the holidays! :panic:

Fingers crossed for you :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

mandy moo
02-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Hope all goes o.k:)
Let us know..

Willowdancer
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Yay, it went really well :cheerleader:

I did sarnies, cold pizza, and crisps. I failed on the cakes front though as I ran out of time to do them so bought nice ones from the bakery in town instead.

Everyone got on really well and nobody hurt themselves so I think the Easter holidays will be good :) :)

And I'm very embarrassed to report that even though we've lived in this house for 6 years I had no idea there was a huge field with a park in it just up the road so the girls managed to show me something I didn't know :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
If you do a cooked me now at 4pm they are going to expect it in the future and I would struggle (no wouldn't) do it.

Personally I would have an activity out to show what would be avilable as an example