PDA

View Full Version : Asking parents to take their shoes off

louised
01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
I know this has been done before but I really need advice on how to ask or to tell parents to take their shoes off when in my house. Mindees already take theirs off as I asked 6 months ago and everyone but the parents took notice. I have just had all of the downstairs floors re-laminated due to a flood we had a couple of months ago and I do not want any shoes coming into contact with them. I seem to do much more cleaning than before I started minding due to the higher volume of traffic in and out of my house and it's just not hygienic when children spend so much time on the floor. Would it be better to send out a newsletter or tell them face to face, it's not fair on my own family who always take off their shoes if mindees parents don't take off theirs. I personally always take my shoes off when I go into someones house

mushpea
01-04-2009, 10:50 AM
at the moment we have the rule that you can have shoes on in the lounge but not on the mat as we have laminate down so its easy to clean, we are getting carpet over easter though so i will drum it in to the children to take their shoes off before going on the carpet and hope that the parents take notice too, if they don't then they won't be getting past my hallway, most of the time they don't come in anyway so its not a problem, somtimes though they want to chat about stuff. I suppose them comming in with shoes on the odd ocasion isn't going to wear out the carpet but it is the principle of the matter and not the cleaning, maybe you just get the kids ready and have them waiting in the hall or stand in the living romm door way so they cant get throug and tell the kids its time to get coats on to go

huggableshelly
01-04-2009, 11:25 AM
my parents stand in the hallway with shoes on and remove for the lounge or if we are outside they go through the kitchen.

i've never had to insist they just do it as its a house rule.

angeldelight
01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
No one comes into my house with shoes on

I would tell them face to face but if you find it difficult then you could always do it in a newsletter - or just do not invite them in ha ha

Angel xx

huggableshelly
01-04-2009, 11:34 AM
or stick a note on the door too

hmm dont invite them in nice one Angel then parents wont ever notice the locked closet where their children are stored

anneriddington
01-04-2009, 11:38 AM
:rolleyes: I reminded all my parents of the no shoes in the lounge rule in my newsletter this week. Really aimed at one parents who is a repeat offender.

The very next day she came in kept her shoes on came into lounge then said "oh my shoes are clean, at least it shows I read your newsletter" :angry:

What's the good of reading a newsletter if you dont adhere to it

I did say to here could she wait in the hall (laminate floor) whilst I get her LO

louised
01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I do have a runner in the hallway which most parents stay on while we chat and they collect or drop off their children but 1 parent in particular has a wander into the lounge and sits down for 5-10 mins, doesn't really say much I think he is just stalling as when he leaves my house he has to cope on his own. He also tells his son to bring his shoes into the lounge to put on when they have been taught to put them on in the hallway before leaving the house. I don't mind if they want to come in but shoes have got to come off, hopefully he won't want to take his shoes off and he'll leave quicker. Don't know what he's gonna do come September if he has to pick his son up from pre-school, they'll never get him out.

mandy moo
01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
or stick a note on the door too

hmm dont invite them in nice one Angel then parents wont ever notice the locked closet where their children are stored

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Alibali
01-04-2009, 06:20 PM
I have a poster on my notice board in the hall to remind EVERYONE to remove shoes before entering the playroom, even my inspector asked if she had to!

angeldelight
01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
I have a poster on my notice board in the hall to remind EVERYONE to remove shoes before entering the playroom, even my inspector asked if she had to!

Thanks for sharing that , its a good idea for those who do not like to tell the parents

Angel xx

Gizmo
01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
my dds ex-cm had a poster on the inside door that all the kids had made

shopshelleyd
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I reminded all my parents in my last newsletter to take off shoes and I know they all read it. One parent is really good and to be honest it is harder for her because she has to try and put shoes on whilst trying to carry out a baby and changing bag, but others still just come in and wander round!! So disrespectful. We have cream carpets as well! Makes me laugh when they say their shoes are clean when they have just walked come in from outside ... how can they be!!! my drive and the roads outside are not clean!! :angry:

louised
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Well i told the parent in question tonight at collection time, he thought I was joking! I told him I was serious and he said he wasn't coming in then, just stood on the mat while mindee put his shoes on. It meant that instead of him hanging around for 10 mins he was gone in less than 2, quickest pick up he's done in 2 years!

her8y
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I sent a letter home with each of my mindees asking parents to remove their shoes. Had one parent who walked doggy do do into my house!!! Played it along the lines of its not nice when our play area is contaminated and with babies crawling and putting their hands in their mouths etc.

No one objected and everyone now removes their shoes

Polly2
02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I saw a great poster the other day it said something along the lines of:

" There are babies on the floor
So please leave your shoes at the door "

I thought it was well put!

angeldelight
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Well i told the parent in question tonight at collection time, he thought I was joking! I told him I was serious and he said he wasn't coming in then, just stood on the mat while mindee put his shoes on. It meant that instead of him hanging around for 10 mins he was gone in less than 2, quickest pick up he's done in 2 years!

Well I think that is really rude of him to be honest
It is your home and he should respect your wishes
What a cheeky so and so

Sounds like it worked out well for you though so its back fired on him , 2 min at collection time sounds heaven to me

Angel xx

RedDragon
02-04-2009, 09:34 AM
It's my house and it's one of my pet hates having shoes on in the house.

I love it when the parents tip toe into the living room as if that makes a difference to them wearing OUTDOOR FOOTWARE in my home.

The other thing I insist on but still have problems with is parents putting the children's shoes on - I say bottom step but once the shoes are on often the parents allow the child to walk up a few of my stairs :angry:

If it's an issue tell them it's one of your bug bears and PLEASE could they take their shoes off. Then the next time say "Oh, you know what I'm like - it's one of the things I need to insist on"

Our houses are overtaken a lot of the time by our work and that's one of the reasons we have rules and policies.

Keep insisting - use the broken record system (repeat yourself over and over and over) until they get the message.

Better to confront the parents/children than be seething (like I would) for hours later.

If a parent brought poo into my house on their shoe you would hear me from East Mids to where you were living :censored: