PDA

View Full Version : Hand Foot and Mouth!!!

patconn2
01-04-2009, 07:56 AM
It's one thing after another at the moment :rolleyes:
Mindee 20 mths sent home yesterday with high temp. Mum phoned last night and told me he had been in contact with hand foot and mouth. incubation period is 3-6 days, so we are waiting for further symptoms to appear, hopefully not. Poor thing is usually such a happy boy.
It is also carried for up to 4 weeks afterwards so I hope he doesn't have it. It isn't recommended to exclude for this long, but I have 4 under 2 in total so I am about to become obssessive regarding which toys I get out. Ones that go in the dishwasher or washing machine I think.

huggableshelly
01-04-2009, 10:19 AM
yep I would stick with the washable toys for now or disposable stuff like playdoh and craft.

i hope the mindee feels better soon

venus89
01-04-2009, 10:32 AM
My daughter had this when she was about 16 months - I seem to remember it wasn't too bad once the spots were out (not that she had it too badly, if I recall) - highly contagious, though, so the dishwasher idea is good.

mandy moo
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
So how likley is it that you have or the rest of your family or mindees have caught it then.
And Where did she pick it up from, did mum tell you?

FussyElmo
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
One of our local pre schools had it and they had to scrub everything. Apparantley it is extermley contagious in the under 5's but not over so we were told.

There is no saying that your lo has it might just be an off day.

patconn2
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
It is likely that anyone in contact with mindee in the last few days could already have contracted it, if indeed that is what he has. Mindee was playing at his mums friend's last week and friend's lo came down with it. It is contageous before symptoms show and is airborne if coughed/sneezed which he did lots of the past couple of days. Mum only told me when I phoned her to give him calpol. Have warned all parents of children who have had contact with him to watch for high temp etc and that I'll keep them updated. Not a lot else I can do really till we know for definite.