Pipsqueak
31-03-2009, 08:05 PM
silly:censored: have removed it they are not worth the time of day

Cammie Doodle
31-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Think I would stay off Netmums and stay on this Forum :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
31-03-2009, 08:32 PM
You are probably right June but I get so :censored: ... annoyed lol that we get trashed like this. This is what damages our profession - narrow minded eedjits.

Blackhorse
31-03-2009, 08:40 PM
just wondering myself about this..

is that not what the insurance is really for?
I am only pre-reg and don't know the in's and out's of all the insurance bits yet.
Am I right in saying that the liability insurance is in case anything happens to a mindee and my home and content insurance (upgraded to include cm is for damages to my property/belongings by mindees???)

If I was a parent I think in this case I would be reluctant to pay too?

miffy
31-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I agree with June!

There certainly seems to be a lot of animosity towards childminders on that site.

I don't think the mum should have paid for the TV though!

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
31-03-2009, 08:45 PM
It is what insurance is there for ,not as you will want to claim very often preminums going up and all that. I have it in my contacts that wilful damage is to be paid for by the parent never enforced it but point it out to all parents.

Think netmums are very anti childminder and some the stuff is getting out of hand...but in this case the cm had done herself no favours by admiting she didnt see him do it.

And as for the comment they shouldnt leave things in the room they didnt want broken - can we get planning permission for storage outside to hold the tv, video, dvd, computer, consoles, cooker, washing machine, etc etc etc.

Pipsqueak
31-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I am in agreement that the mum shouldn't have to pay up - it wasn't done wilfully or maliciously.

Blackhorse
31-03-2009, 08:51 PM
why do you think that there is such an animosity against childminders on the page?? I don't get it actually...

unless someone made a bad experience with one, why would you slag (sp?) us off - and even then they should not generalise...

what I can understand a wee bit is when they are saying not to jump to every cm's defence as this can probably be seen as cliquy (sp?) - and just for the sake of it

Pipsqueak
31-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I understand that BH totally and when I do post about cm's over there its not always in defence. I would always say about - as i do here, to report someone or take it further if necessary.
What i will defend and argue my point is that presumptions should be made about the care given - as it always is over there.

Sorry - didn't mean to bring the "argument" over to here. Ignore me - think I am in 1 of them moods tonight after loosing yet another few hours a uni with a useless blody tutor who doesn't have a clue about what I do:rolleyes:

rickysmiths
31-03-2009, 09:15 PM
just wondering myself about this..

is that not what the insurance is really for?
I am only pre-reg and don't know the in's and out's of all the insurance bits yet.
Am I right in saying that the liability insurance is in case anything happens to a mindee and my home and content insurance (upgraded to include cm is for damages to my property/belongings by mindees???)

If I was a parent I think in this case I would be reluctant to pay too?

It is qiute hard to find an insurance company that will insure a cm for accidental damage as a result of mindees. Also most of us would have at least a £100 excess so irritating damage like this would not be woth claiming for anyway.

I can have a drunken orgy with my friends (some hope:laughing: :laughing: ) have all my cut crystal glasses smashed and claim, if a mindee broke one I would not be covered!! (just to confirm I do not let my mindees drink from cut crystal:laughing: )

If anyone is covered it would be interesting to know with whom.

Blackhorse
31-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I have been recommended by SCMA to use homeminder as they cover accidental damage by mindees....

just off to check that is really true:

ok this is what it says in their leaflet:
buildings cover up to 200000
contents cover up to 42000 incl the children's items & 7500 for business equipment
accidental damage cover incl windows, bathroom and kitchen fitments, contents and damage caused by the children or away from home
childminder professional cover - incl cover for jury service and business equipment
interest free DD

they have a webpage too: www.home-minder.co.uk

haven't spoken to them yet so don't know how expensive they are and what excess they have....

Chatterbox Childcare
31-03-2009, 09:28 PM
As we have decided to do childminding in our own homes we accept that toys get broken and I think it is the same for the tv. If the childminder in question was watching the child and actually saw him switching it on and off why didn't she stop the mindee?

I suspect that nothing was seen and the child got the blame?

My controls are way out of reach.

huggableshelly
31-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I was lucky with my tv lol

the on off button got stuck after a mindee turned the tv off but was an older mindee and I asked him to do it for me.

anyway it kinda fizzled a bit so i turned it back on again and it was a gonner

luckily the tv was under warrantee so just had it replaced .. wasnt the mindees fault and it was covered.

I'm not responding on that thread in netmums too much effort

rickysmiths
31-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I have been recommended by SCMA to use homeminder as they cover accidental damage by mindees....

just off to check that is really true:

ok this is what it says in their leaflet:
buildings cover up to 200000
contents cover up to 42000 incl the children's items & 7500 for business equipment
accidental damage cover incl windows, bathroom and kitchen fitments, contents and damage caused by the children or away from home
childminder professional cover - incl cover for jury service and business equipment
interest free DD

they have a webpage too: www.home-minder.co.uk

haven't spoken to them yet so don't know how expensive they are and what excess they have....

Thanks for that Blackhorse. I used Motorminder for a year and they were a nightmare. :panic: The experience I had, frankly I wouldn't think they could organise a p.... up in a brewery :blush: I wouldn't consider their Home cover either. Sorry.

huggableshelly
31-03-2009, 09:41 PM
wow I carried on reading that got rather nasty but didnt need to be!

all she needed to know was should she pay up or not yet turned into another bloodbath

sighs some women need to get a life!

PixiePetal
31-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Now I have gone and added my bit :mad:

We are not employed by any parents :angry: Unless they want to sort my tax etc :D

Chatterbox Childcare
31-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I only read a few - cannot be bothered to waste my time

Schnakes
31-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I wonder what the hell the mod deleted, considering what she left!!! :eek:

I personally think that some little children can be little monkeys - doesnt matter how many times you tell them not to, they always will. I had one child who was extremely destructive (very angry about her parents divorce). We would sit together and chose new toys, go into town and buy them, I would go into the kitchen to get dinner on and find new toy in pieces on the floor.

Doesnt mean I wasnt a caring childminder or wasnt "watching" her (I dont think a four year old child needs my eyes on her 24/7)...she was just a very angry little girl. And she DID break things.

In fact, I think I could reasonably argue that children can develop attachment disorders from being scruitinised (sp??) so much. (Not that that has anything to do with the OP!!!)

Sx

mandy moo
01-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I wonder what the hell the mod deleted, considering what she left!!! :eek:

I personally think that some little children can be little monkeys - doesnt matter how many times you tell them not to, they always will. I had one child who was extremely destructive (very angry about her parents divorce). We would sit together and chose new toys, go into town and buy them, I would go into the kitchen to get dinner on and find new toy in pieces on the floor.

Doesnt mean I wasnt a caring childminder or wasnt "watching" her (I dont think a four year old child needs my eyes on her 24/7)...she was just a very angry little girl. And she DID break things.

In fact, I think I could reasonably argue that children can develop attachment disorders from being scruitinised (sp??) so much. (Not that that has anything to do with the OP!!!)

Sx
Yep Had that experiance just recently with one of my mindees:(
Also a child at the school I used to work at, he was 8 at the time, turned 2 tables over in the class room, in a temper, now these tables are the old type class room table, really heavy, metal legs and wooden, pastic covered tops, not the easiest of things to turn over even for an adult.
I even witnessed a child bashing a tennis racket on the floor in the play ground, prior to a pe lesson (child was 11?)

Schnakes
01-04-2009, 12:54 PM
The same child I mentioned about literally ripped my stair gate out of the wall because she lost her temper with it cos it wouldnt open. That is proper brute strength! I would have to try very hard to manage that!

Sx

Donkey
01-04-2009, 01:29 PM
what post??????????

I always miss the good ones!

P.s I am with morton michel for buidlings and contents with accidental damage for mindee damage too...

the only thing that really concerned me is our tv. DF would have a fit if it got broke so I needed to make sure it was covered, its a flat screen samsung that we won at a competition at work,

another thing to check on your insurance if your minding is if you get broken into if the insurance company stipulates that there must be signs of forced entry. In other words if your keys get nicked and you get broken into, they wont pay out!

Bananabrain
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I missed it too,but reading subsequent posts have got the general idea .

so a mindee has broken a tv and the parent has been asked to pay?

Spooky,because I was just gonna ask you guys opinion on my scenario:

Have a nearly 2 yr old mindee that is giving me serious stress! To cut a long story short,mum,me and health visitor have a 'behaviour plan' in place.

Until this week,I thought I was making real progress with this child,but he now seems to be going backwards.Again to shorten, he has broken my raincover and ripped my doorbell off the wall{mum was holding him}

Is it acceptable to bill parents? My local minders are saying that he is soooo destructive I should bill and give notice.

michellethegooner
01-05-2009, 10:32 AM
where is the post I want to read :( lol

Bananabrain
01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Me too!! I want to know what I missed