PDA

View Full Version : Call from Fire Officer (now i'm confused again)

Gizmo
31-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Got a call today from fire safety officer asking about the form I sent them, I had been told by CC not to buy a fire blanket just yet then the fire safety guy told me I must have one or he cant pass my house.
Is it also ok to hang door keys on a high hook, were I can reach but kids cant
Have already got mains operated smoke alarms so 1 part ok
He also said I have to start fire drills and log them

Need some info can any of you lovely people help :eek:

sarah707
31-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Not sure about Scotland...

In England you have to log your fire practices... log your smoke alarm tests... write an emergency evacuation procedure...

Yes you must have a fire blanket properly sited before registration too...

Hope someone Scottish comes along soon :D

Quackers
03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Joybells
Now you have me worried. I'm in Scotland as well. Sent my form to the fire brigade (and registration form to CC) on Monday and now they are coming on Saturday. I was advised by the SCMA not to buy the fire blanket or alarm until fire brigade had been - I understand you can reclaim costs from your grant then??
I put on my form that I needed advice from them so hope that will be OK.

Too late to do anything about it now so have to wait and see.

Quackers

Pedagog
03-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Joybells
Now you have me worried. I'm in Scotland as well. Sent my form to the fire brigade (and registration form to CC) on Monday and now they are coming on Saturday. I was advised by the SCMA not to buy the fire blanket or alarm until fire brigade had been - I understand you can reclaim costs from your grant then??
I put on my form that I needed advice from them so hope that will be OK.

Too late to do anything about it now so have to wait and see.

Quackers

Unfortunately you will find that all brigades interpret the rules in a slightly different way.

Blackhorse
03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
what I have been told in my induction training is that you shouldn't send the letter to the fire officer until you have got your fire blanket and everything else that is required on the list...you can seemingly wait until you have done most of the things to get registered before you send away the letter to the fire officer iyswim
you get the fire blanket if you buy the business resource pack from scma (for which you might get funding depending on which area you are in)
I didn't have fire alarms when I first sent in my application to the CC so I waited until I had them installed before I sent the letter away (I got them through funding as well so had to wait until all the paperwork for that was done)
you also need to have a floor plan of your house with emergency way out mapped out and a fire safety policy in which you state that you will test smoke alarms at least weekly and practice fire drills with the mindees regularly
don't know about the key...