PDA

View Full Version : Free Head Lice Treatment

Heaven Scent
31-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Perhaps I should have put this in the free stuff section but I was afraid not enough of you would see it.

My DD has the dreaded creatures again and this morning when I went to the chemist I asked for Hedrin and she said I could have it free I had to fill out some forms one for her because of her age and one for me because I get free preciptions because of my underactive Thyroid. Every time you go for some you need to complete the form and I think its only on Hedrin.

Its definately worth bearing it in mind and let parents and others know about it as they may be less reluctant to treat their children if they can get it free

avril
31-03-2009, 07:56 PM
:angry: I paid nearly £13.00 for this last wk AND my little darling didn't even have nits it was soil and an odd fly I supose I just panicked as had been to a toddler group that wk and a little one had them :blush:

Typical boy into all sorts of things dirty!!!:laughing:

Annie_T
31-03-2009, 09:30 PM
oh i have go find out bout this ...what pharmacy was it you went to hun?

ChocolateChip
01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Sounds interesting, thanks!:)

Heaven Scent
10-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Annie T - I went to my local pharmacy which is not part of a group. The forms I completed were NHS forms and I asked for Headrin by mistake I actually wanted Lyclear and as soon as I said Headrin or is it Lyclear the girl said it was free. When I went back for the second treatment the girl on the counter was going to sell me a large bottle and I said I got it free last time and she said I had to see the pharmacist who just completed the form and gave me 2 small bottles - so it must only be small bottles of Headrin and you have to be eligabe for free precriptions - all children are!!

You can get others free if you ask your GP - When I couldn't get rid of them from my DD's hair the first time she had them I rang the doc and they just prepared a prescription for me which I picked up and took to the pharmacy - they tend to prescribe Derbec or at least did at that time - I did it because a friend told me about it - I'd never heard of Derbec at the time.

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 03:46 PM
:angry: I paid nearly £13.00 for this last wk AND my little darling didn't even have nits it was soil and an odd fly I supose I just panicked as had been to a toddler group that wk and a little one had them :blush:

Typical boy into all sorts of things dirty!!!:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: My kids only have to touch their heads and i'm in there with the nit comb:eek:

brillminder
10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
conditioner works well with a good comb - tea tree - home bargans had stuff other week looked good prices

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Yep Tee tree and conditioner sorts out the little blighters:D

claire bear 72
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
we dont get this in our area..... :( I recently asked about head lice treatment (a Cm girl had them and I was really paranoid :blush:) lol at local chemist and they never knew anything about it!!! hey ho we not got the dreaded things :clapping: never had them yet!!!!! thank god ;)

Annie_T
10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Annie T - I went to my local pharmacy which is not part of a group. The forms I completed were NHS forms and I asked for Headrin by mistake I actually wanted Lyclear and as soon as I said Headrin or is it Lyclear the girl said it was free. When I went back for the second treatment the girl on the counter was going to sell me a large bottle and I said I got it free last time and she said I had to see the pharmacist who just completed the form and gave me 2 small bottles - so it must only be small bottles of Headrin and you have to be eligabe for free precriptions - all children are!!

You can get others free if you ask your GP - When I couldn't get rid of them from my DD's hair the first time she had them I rang the doc and they just prepared a prescription for me which I picked up and took to the pharmacy - they tend to prescribe Derbec or at least did at that time - I did it because a friend told me about it - I'd never heard of Derbec at the time.

hmm i have go ask, i wont use derbac as they get amune to it same as most lotions but headrin they cant i know that but unsure of any of the others that quite new ... thanks hun x

Heaven Scent
28-04-2009, 04:14 PM
:update:

Ok DD who was clear of the rotters all over the easter break has them back again and I went to the chemist today for the lotion and was given 2Xlrg bottles of FULL MARKS (one for me and one for her - I get free prescriptions and I'm always cuddling her so need to do mine because can't risk mindees getting it).

Anyhow, the woman at the chemist said there are quite a few on the list and the scheme has been going about a year now and you can get different sized bottles of the different products eg Headrin is a small bottle and Full Marks is a large bottle - at least because I keep checking her hair I catch it early but I am sick of it - really I am!!!!!!! - its also not fair on her that she keeps having to have her hair fine combed daily because of someone else - once a week should be enough at worst.

Mouse
28-04-2009, 05:07 PM
My daughter has had nits a few times, but I don't use lotions. I use the conditioner & combing method.

I've found the best comb is the Nitty Gritty one. It costs about £10, but I have seen an article saying you can get that on prescription as well...wish I'd known :rolleyes:

jibberjitz
28-04-2009, 07:41 PM
wow thats good! Never had them here 'yet' but I dont expect to escape them forever :( ooh I have itchy head now!

Heaven Scent
28-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I have the nitty gritty comb and another double toothed one I got from boots and I use the lot - I'm sick to death of it to be honest.

LittleAcorns
28-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I have the nitty gritty comb and another double toothed one I got from boots and I use the lot - I'm sick to death of it to be honest.

do you know what really gets me, is that there are parents who dont check their kiddies hair, there is nothing the school can do other than send out "check your childs hair" letter, but to be honest we get 2-3 of these letters a week now and they do just get put in their book bags becase Im fed up to the back teeth!

there was one week where Amber came home 4 days in a row with "big, beefy, juicy, waving at me, shouting HI!!!" headlice on her head!

Ive been to the gp, who said that there is nothing that she could prescribe

One thing that has helped my older daughter not get them is, garlic tablets, but I cant get Amber to swallow them......more reasearch needed ....

If you find anything at all that you think may help please do share and I'll do the same x

Tracey1
30-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Hiya

A friend of mine had told me about the free treatment, you can also the treatment if you are claiming benefits of sorts.

Tracey

Hebs
30-04-2009, 03:30 PM
this system is called "CARE IN THE COMMUNITY"

it is for children under 16, and people on certain benefits

i get calpol on a regualr basis and we all know how much that stuff costs :panic: i also got head lice treatment free a few months ago but luckily haven't needed it yet

most if not all chemists do this if you ask about care in the community :thumbsup:

Louise_Oaktree
18-05-2009, 03:03 PM
this system is called "CARE IN THE COMMUNITY"

it is for children under 16, and people on certain benefits

i get calpol on a regualr basis and we all know how much that stuff costs :panic: i also got head lice treatment free a few months ago but luckily haven't needed it yet

most if not all chemists do this if you ask about care in the community :thumbsup:

In my area this scheme is called "Pharmacy First" and is to try and prevent the need for a GP appointment for "Minor Ailments". It has to be the Pharmacist who prescribes the treatment.

Heaven Scent
18-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Care in the community - it sounds like something you offer to people recovering from Mental Health issue - Well if I don't get to the stage where my DD no longer as these horrible creatures anymore I will suffer fro mental health issues.

mandy moo
19-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Yay I use nitty gritty too, wouldnt be with out it.
My boys have short hair (no2 all over) so I wet comb them, wicked mother:blush: