PDA

View Full Version : my god how divvy am i !!!!

sammy
30-03-2009, 09:07 PM
now this is really embarrasing but i thought it would make you laugh...

I was watching a very educational programme earlier for about 10 mins and afterwards felt very silly!!

Basically they were doing a test : buying eggs from a farm/caged hens and free range and incubating them for 21 days to see if any chicks popped out

One did!!!!!

It was the farm egg, apparently some boy got an egg from a shop years ago and hatched it.

Now heres the embarrasing part: out of my whole 30 years of being alive i seriously thought eggs that chicks were hatched out of were different to the eggs we eat. I thought that maybe the chickens laid the chicks at special times of the month/year to turn into baby chicks!!

and i thought i knew it all!!! i cannot believe i didnt know that i was amazed when i watched this programme but now feel slightly un educated!!!

Twinkles
30-03-2009, 09:11 PM
That's a risk with free range/farm eggs , they could be fertilized :panic:

gegele
30-03-2009, 09:12 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

only if a daddy chicken has met the mummy chicken will there be a chick. no daddy, then it's just a "white" egg, like the one you do every month. so the experiment will never work with caged hens as they're all mummies!:D

ORKSIE
OOOOOw Dont!!!
Thats Yukky!! LOL:eeeek:

Demonjill
LOL

I was always led to believe that most eggs had the ability to be a chick if the conditions were right.:D

There were hens where i used to work and if they laid eggs they would sit on some and push away others ( the non chick ones) :laughing: :laughing:

sammy
30-03-2009, 09:18 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

only if a daddy chicken has met the mummy chicken will there be a chick. no daddy, then it's just a "white" egg, like the one you do every month. so the experiment will never work with caged hens as they're all mummies!:D

so if the mummy and daddy get together inside the egg would look like the eggs we eat then? sorry just have to really simplify things here. And then to turn them into chicks you just warm em up (incubate)?? lol

ORKSIE
30-03-2009, 09:22 PM
OMG LOL I'm off, not eatin eggs no more:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
30-03-2009, 09:28 PM
so if the mummy and daddy get together inside the egg would look like the eggs we eat then? sorry just have to really simplify things here. And then to turn them into chicks you just warm em up (incubate)?? lol

Well that's all very well but how do they turn them into chocolate for Easter ...huh! ?

LittleMissSparkles
30-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm a bit dim too then as I thought they scanned htem all to see if there was a chick in them first !!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

claires
30-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I think I am going to have to show my hubby this thread cos I used to think the same as you Sammy and he thinks it's hilarious. I think I'm a bit dumber though cos i thought there were 2 kinds of hens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush: :blush: :blush:
1 that laid eggs that chicks hatch from and 1 that lays the eggs we eat.
:blush: :blush:

huggableshelly
30-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Well that's all very well but how do they turn them into chocolate for Easter ...huh! ?

they dont .. the magic bunny does that and you so dont wanna know how!

Pipsqueak
30-03-2009, 09:41 PM

duh - they get sent to the fairys to made into choccie - EVERYONE knows that!

huggableshelly
30-03-2009, 09:44 PM
duh - they get sent to the fairys to made into choccie - EVERYONE knows that!

no no no pip its the magic easter bunny!

Willowdancer
30-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Aargh - gone off eggs again now! I didn't eat them for years after reading a report in the paper about somebody who'd cracked into their boiled egg and found a dead chick inside and was terrified of it happening to me.

:eeeek:

huggableshelly
31-03-2009, 05:41 AM
eww that would put me off too but choc eggs dont count lol

Pipsqueak
31-03-2009, 07:39 AM
no no no pip its the magic easter bunny!

uhuh - sorry Huggy, its defo the fairys who come to collect them, magik them and then distribute to the Easter Bunny.
apparently the bunny wanted to cut out the middle man (this is going back a few years now) but the Fairy Union put their foot down so the Fairys didn't loose their jobs. Those who did loose their jobs turned a bit sour and became bad fairies - you know the ones who come and mess up your house just out of sheer glee, the ones who nick the socks from the wash leaving you mysteriously with only one.

Its the same as the Tooth Fairies.... apparently there were parents out there who weren't happy with the pay increases the Fairies were making. Union stepped in again...... some fairies turned bad joined forces with the ones above.

Are you getting the picture now???? I tell ya its such a myth that the Bunny does all the work;)

gegele
31-03-2009, 07:48 AM
they dont .. the magic bunny does that and you so dont wanna know how!

oh thank you, now i have picture in my head !!!!!!!!!!!

Bushpig
31-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Aargh - gone off eggs again now! I didn't eat them for years after reading a report in the paper about somebody who'd cracked into their boiled egg and found a dead chick inside and was terrified of it happening to me.

:eeeek:

UGH!!! I didnt eat the microwave instant rice after someone found a rat in theirs either... :eek:

huggableshelly
31-03-2009, 07:59 AM
oh thank you, now i have picture in my head !!!!!!!!!!!

you are most welcome glad to be of service LOL

huggableshelly
31-03-2009, 08:03 AM
uhuh - sorry Huggy, its defo the fairys who come to collect them, magik them and then distribute to the Easter Bunny.
apparently the bunny wanted to cut out the middle man (this is going back a few years now) but the Fairy Union put their foot down so the Fairys didn't loose their jobs. Those who did loose their jobs turned a bit sour and became bad fairies - you know the ones who come and mess up your house just out of sheer glee, the ones who nick the socks from the wash leaving you mysteriously with only one.

Its the same as the Tooth Fairies.... apparently there were parents out there who weren't happy with the pay increases the Fairies were making. Union stepped in again...... some fairies turned bad joined forces with the ones above.

Are you getting the picture now???? I tell ya its such a myth that the Bunny does all the work;)

wow now I know why the bad fairies mess my house up faster
the dust fairy is working twice as hard too
and the tangle fairy well dont get me started on that one, every single time I need to charge up the dslites the tangle fairy has done her job which causes me so much sadness to see the charger wires in a bad state.

ok time to make sure no more bad fairies come I cant afford another increase for the tooth fairy either, they last one cost 50p and thats more than enough only my DD remembers getting a two pound coin for her first lol

Lady Haha
31-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Just to add more gore to the thread! I remember when I was about 7 or 8, being at a friends house and her mum was making dinner and cracked an egg into the frying pan and there was a 'half made' chick in there, all gooey and bitty!!! Yuk!

Good to know the educational side though, cos I was never that sure how it all went either! I'm still not sure how daddy fertilizes the egg in the first place! Do they 'do it' like other animals?

And to think we're educating the next generation:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
31-03-2009, 08:42 AM
wow now I know why the bad fairies mess my house up faster
the dust fairy is working twice as hard too
and the tangle fairy well dont get me started on that one, every single time I need to charge up the dslites the tangle fairy has done her job which causes me so much sadness to see the charger wires in a bad state.

ok time to make sure no more bad fairies come I cant afford another increase for the tooth fairy either, they last one cost 50p and thats more than enough only my DD remembers getting a two pound coin for her first lol

point proven!!!!

see..... listen to the Pip, she knows lol. (I spend enough time in lala land as it is:D )

sammy
31-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Just to add more gore to the thread! I remember when I was about 7 or 8, being at a friends house and her mum was making dinner and cracked an egg into the frying pan and there was a 'half made' chick in there, all gooey and bitty!!! Yuk!

Good to know the educational side though, cos I was never that sure how it all went either! I'm still not sure how daddy fertilizes the egg in the first place! Do they 'do it' like other animals?

oooohhhh that is awful! at least i know im not on my own - i told my husband last night how i thought they were hatched etc, he honestly looked at me as if i had totally lost it!!! - lol he then said you do know that the chicks crack out of the eggs - i replied yes of course - he then said thankgod!!! ****** cheek im not that thick!

sammy
31-03-2009, 09:32 AM
point proven!!!!

see..... listen to the Pip, she knows lol. (I spend enough time in lala land as it is:D )

oh and why we are on the subject of tooth fairies - i put a £2 coin under my sons pillow only then did "daddy" put a fiver under - so now he tells all his friends that he got £7 from the tooth fairy - they look well put out poor friends!! why do men have to mess everything up.

angeldelight
31-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Yuk

Angel xx

venus89
31-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Ah..... I always thought he eggs COULD be hatched but just got taken away from the hens so they didn't (because they'd get cold.....)

Mine also got £2 for the first tooth and £1 for each subsequent one... They only remember the £2 too......

sue
31-03-2009, 07:38 PM
now this is really embarrasing but i thought it would make you laugh...

I was watching a very educational programme earlier for about 10 mins and afterwards felt very silly!!

Basically they were doing a test : buying eggs from a farm/caged hens and free range and incubating them for 21 days to see if any chicks popped out

One did!!!!!

It was the farm egg, apparently some boy got an egg from a shop years ago and hatched it.

Now heres the embarrasing part: out of my whole 30 years of being alive i seriously thought eggs that chicks were hatched out of were different to the eggs we eat. I thought that maybe the chickens laid the chicks at special times of the month/year to turn into baby chicks!!

and i thought i knew it all!!! i cannot believe i didnt know that i was amazed when i watched this programme but now feel slightly un educated!!!

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:sorry but this did make me laugh l have been brought up with chickens, geese, ducks etc and we have had countless chicks etc and eggs to eat. We learn something new every day:D