PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Bex1
30-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi
I have a little girl coming tomorrow and her mum phoned tonight to say she is chesty and after visit to Doctor she has inhaler as they think she has asthma. Her mum is coming earlier tomorrow to talk to me about it and show me the inhaler and how to use it...do I need to get some training and if so do I just contat my local surgery! She said she will need it as and when I think she is sounding chesty!

Thanks

FizzysFriends
30-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I think you see the Asthma nurse at the girls drs? So she will know the girl and when she needs the inhaler.

sarah707
30-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I am not 100% certain but I think you need to be professionally trained in using the inhaler for that child before you are allowed to take her back.

I would advise you to check with Ofsted in the morning :D

Bex1
30-03-2009, 07:43 PM
ok, so can I not accept her tomorrow or do I get the mum to sign something to cover me for tomorrow???? she is coming at 8.30 tomorrow for her first day and her mum phoned tonight to say she had a cold which was making her chesty!

sarah707
30-03-2009, 07:47 PM
ok, so can I not accept her tomorrow or do I get the mum to sign something to cover me for tomorrow???? she is coming at 8.30 tomorrow for her first day and her mum phoned tonight to say she had a cold which was making her chesty!

I am sorry, it's only an 'I think'...

It's just that from reading the Eyfs I think that training must be in place before the child comes...

It's really hard advising the right thing sometimes. :(

Bex1
30-03-2009, 07:51 PM
i appreciate your reply :) apparently she only went to GP's this afternoon because her mum said she was sounding chesty and they think its asthma so she was given inhaler! Her mum mentioned it in conversation tonight when she phoned to talk about her little one being clingy etc!

Oh no, what to do.....my first day minding and this crops up! never straight forward with me :panic: :panic: :panic:

FizzysFriends
30-03-2009, 07:54 PM
My DD has an inhaler for when shes chesty, she doesn't have asthma though.

Can you delay mom an hour, that way you will have time to call ofsted so will know?

Bex1
30-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I think she is chesty because of the cold! I think I will speak with mum in the morning when she gets here and ask her exactly what situation is and then take it from there and I will say I need to speak with Ofsted if she has been diagnosed with asthma but if only this afternoon because she has a cold then she probably wont have asthma nurse yet!

:(

Pipsqueak
30-03-2009, 07:57 PM
From what we have been told on our inclusive thingy (sorry have brain failure tonight) - its ok for the parent to write out the full procedure and to talk you through it along with being shown.
You would need specific training if it was an invasive procedure - ie administering injection/epi pen etc.

Again this is only what I have been told - as Sarah advises I would check with Ofsted.

Ripeberry
30-03-2009, 07:59 PM
It's difficult as you don't know the child yet. But some doctors just prescribe inhalers willy nilly. My eldest was given an inhaler when she had a cold and a spacer and she never needed it again.
Parents would only get basic training and the spacer is there to make it easier for the parent/carer and child.
Sounding chesty is not the same as in danger of having a full blow attack where you would need to know exactly how to do it.

Ripeberry
30-03-2009, 08:02 PM
And your first aid course would cover you for using an epipen and inhalers, we had training on both, doesn't everyone? Just make sure you get a signed prior permission form from the parent to administer her prescribed inhaler :)

PixiePetal
30-03-2009, 08:03 PM
From what we have been told on our inclusive thingy (sorry have brain failure tonight) - its ok for the parent to write out the full procedure and to talk you through it along with being shown.
You would need specific training if it was an invasive procedure - ie administering injection/epi pen etc.

Again this is only what I have been told - as Sarah advises I would check with Ofsted.

I hope this is right. My newest mindee (nearly 3) has an inhaler - only when needed, not every day. I had mum show me, even though I was nanny to a severe asthmatic girl years ago. She notes times in daily diary and number of puffs, I sign and add to medicine book for signing later.

Mum collects very quick if needed. Sent him home when I thought he was borderline a couple of weeks ago. Mum said he looked ok but I did the right thing as can turn nasty very quick. He was in hospital the next day on a nebuliser and puffers for a week after. Think I spotted him going downhill before parents.:blush:

nannymcflea
30-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I have one that uses an inhaler daily, i have the NCMA forms and use this. Mum has shown me how to use it. Everyone has signed to say I can give it. After recent OFSTED she looked at it and never said a word...infact complimented me on my paper work...so it must have been ok!

The thing with the blue inhalers is that you can't hurt them with it, it's not like giving an epipen, it's very straight forward...get mum to get one to leave at yours if it's long term.

claire bear 72
30-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I have asthma and quite a few children with asthma 2.........the thing is it gets really bad when u have a cold & I agree doctors are very quick these days to diagnose it!!! When u have a child with asthma u will no............honestly u will no when things are bad and they need inhaler.....children as young as 2 begin to regognise symptoms and can sign for inhaler...........the sooner the better in our area.........my son had baby asthma and was able to sign and so were quite a few of the other children I cared for at the time...........its shocking to see an asthma attack first hand...........but according to OFSTED you dont need training I have asked at every inspection and all they say is do u feel competent looking after a child with asthma?........Hope this helps a little!!! lol sorry feel v strongly :blush:

John
30-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I have just started a child with asthma and she doesn’t need it every day only when she needs to use the inhaler. Mum as writen out a Permission form to say i can give the inhaler and have been showed to use it. I have the NCMA emergency book and will stat putting the times and date in the book if i use it on the child. So will i have to still go to get proper training to use the inhaler?

John.

John
30-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I have asthma and quite a few children with asthma 2.........the thing is it gets really bad when u have a cold & I agree doctors are very quick these days to diagnose it!!! When u have a child with asthma u will no............honestly u will no when things are bad and they need inhaler.....children as young as 2 begin to regognise symptoms and can sign for inhaler...........the sooner the better in our area.........my son had baby asthma and was able to sign and so were quite a few of the other children I cared for at the time...........its shocking to see an asthma attack first hand...........but according to OFSTED you dont need training I have asked at every inspection and all they say is do u feel competent looking after a child with asthma?........Hope this helps a little!!! lol sorry feel v strongly :blush:

I've just read your post propperly and if your right you have put my mind at rest.

John.

angeldelight
30-03-2009, 10:22 PM

We have also been told this

But I do not think it hurts to check with Ofsted - and ask them to put it in writing also

Angel xx

huggableshelly
31-03-2009, 06:00 AM
I would check with Ofsted too

just a thought but how far does mum work from you? is it possible for her to pop back and do the inhaler? this would cover you in all aspects as you will not be administering and gives you time to contact Ofsted and seek out a training session too.

It was covered in my first aid course too but only as a demonstration ... I would gain further training if it were me.

PixiePetal
31-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I have asked my parent today to write me a letter stating that she has shown me how to use the inhaler on the son, seen me doing it and gives her permission. It is all documented in medicine book when given, and in diary on mornings telling me what times to do. He has his preventer at home am and pm, the reliever with me only when needed.

John
31-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Well today i give Ofsted a phone call about the child having Asthma, as long as you had been given a guided lesson from the parent how to give the child the medication and a permission form, and note eveytime you give the child the med, fill in forms (NCMA AIMF) your coverd. When i phoned she said i'll put all the information i told her in my file, saying you are covered and aware of the child's needs.

John.

PixiePetal
31-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Well today i give Ofsted a phone call about the child having Asthma, as long as you had been given a guided lesson from the parent how to give the child the medication and a permission form, and note eveytime you give the child the med, fill in forms (NCMA AIMF) your coverd. When i phoned she said i'll put all the information i told her in my file, saying you are covered and aware of the child's needs.

John.

Thanks, that means I am ok!! :phew:

John
31-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Looks like it:) thats why i phoned them today as i couldn't get any sleep last night thinking about it. So hopefully i'll have a good sleep tonight if i don't ponder over something else.

John.