PDA

View Full Version : Drop off & collection

son77
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM
When parents drop the kids off in the morning do you let the parents in or do everything at the door?

Then when parents come to collect do you have the child ready, shoes & coat on etc? & again do you let them in?

In the mornings I have a mom who lingers around a bit (in my lounge) but I have got this down a bit now but saying 'say bye to mummy, she's got to go to work now' then head for the door! but evenings she can be here for 10 mins or so. I don't get the child ready before mum comes because I thought that might be a bit too cheeky? When 5.30pm comes I want to switch off & sort my own family out.

fionamal
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I tend to let mums in but they are normally in a rush so its a drop off, kiss, cuddle and goodbye.

At collection time I generally have the kids shoes on and their jackets ready to go on when the door goes.

tulip0803
06-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I used to have several that wanted to stay and chat so I started to charge them up until they left the house on overtime rates if it was over their contracted hours. Most stopped.:)

Julia

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
:D <big sigh> only 10 minutes - do you realise how lucky you are? Mine stops about 1 to 1half hours!!! Actually we've managed to get it down to half an hour most nights....

I have tried EVERY tack in the book...

sarah707
06-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I am lucky I have a back porch - most don't get beyond there, though I have one set that walk in... but I never encourage them to sit down and stop for the evening...

I've got better things to do... like be on here when the kids are with their dad! :laughing:

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 04:19 PM
oh vik thats a horrible!!! I couldnt imagine mums and dads staying for hours, i would go out my mind!!!!

I have a set of parents that want them dressed and coated and shoed ready to walk outta that door! and another one who came in for 5mins to see what he was doing! but I generally have all their stuff ready for them so they are good to go as I dont want no lingering!!! xx

jmoff
06-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh dear, luckily mine dont do it...maybe I dont make them feel welcome :laughing:

But what I do say to the parents that its best to keep it short and sweet. I think parents usually don't know how to say bye, whether to hang around or just leave.

ALso, I have a daily diary that they get every evening and all info is in it...

And, no I don't have the children all ready for the parents just in case they were late.

Jana x

Lincsminder
06-02-2008, 06:08 PM
When they come in the morning I normally say to the child "come on lets get your shoes off, now say good buy to mummy because she is going" I then open the door. At pick up I have childs shoes/ coats ready so when there is a knock on the door I pick up childs belongings and put them straight on child speaking with parent about childs days. I then stand up say goodbuy and open the door. The parents know if they want to speak with me all they have to do is ask and I will make time for them otherwise I usher them out so I can get on.

manjay
06-02-2008, 06:11 PM
My parents don't get through the front door. I have everything ready in the porch and the children get their coats on when the parents arrive. Do I feel bad? no not at all! The front door is covered so they don't get wet if it is raining and once that doorbell goes I can't wait to say goodbye to the little lovlies!!

amanda xx

mamapink
06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
hi
Thanks for asking that question
i am not yet reg.but was wondering that as well

bye
pink:o
xx

polobear1970
06-02-2008, 06:26 PM
hi all,

drop off isn't too bad because mum is going to work, and as for pick up, i've told mine that i go to college, but not what days, s they know i can't stop and chat, if they needed to speak to me they would do it n the morning

lisa

Twinkles
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Mine tend to stay and chat for 10-15 mins in the evening. I'm happy with this as we can talk about child how they're doing etc ( wouldn't discuss naughty behaviour in front of child though ) some evenings I'm edging them towards the door - thinking about my dinner!

deeb66
06-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I am afraid I am a bit hard about this.

I don't mind a couple of minutes chat but if they want to speak to me then they need to make an appointment and not turn up dead on contract time and expect to stand there for half an hour chatting....I am sure they wouldn't appreciate it if I charged then extra time?

I had one such parent that used to do this everyday and I got fed up in the end so changed tactic.

The same in the mornings....I really haven't got time to play host to them....I have too much to do.

I meet the parent at the door in the morning and once the child has said goodbye very firmly shut the door!

At collection time I have shoes and coats on ready (I do ask the parents to text me if they are going to be late so that the kids are not sitting in their coats for too long!). I do not invite the parents in and usually say my goodbyes within 5 mins or so.

I make it very plain to all parents that I am happy for them to come and see me for a chat but it has to pre-arranged and usually within the contract time!

Lou
06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I have one mum who picks up at about 5.30pm, she always stays for a bit of a chat maybe 10 mins or so, now i dont have a problem with it really esp since she pays me until 6pm, but my children tend to play up when she is here esp my 4 yr old, as they know i am distracted and also dont want to scream at them in front of her.

So now i have to give them big warnings before she arrives!!!!

sarah32
06-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I have a problem with the parent at the moment, I mind her son and hes the only one at moment so when she drops him off she sits down and chats for 10 minutes. I have to like said say, say bye to mummy and edge her to the door and then when she collects him she again chats for about 10 mins.

This ok at moment but as of next week I have 2 more kiddies and I cxant cxhat while looking after them so I thinks shes in for a shock.

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 08:25 PM
hehe! well we all like to chat, but not on in our own time huh!! I have had to say to the littlie I am gunna keep you cos mummy doesnt want to go home, so your all mine!!! mum got the hint and said right we better be off!!! x x

Tily Bud
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
i dont have this problem in the mornings as most parents are on the way to work or i collect the child on the way to school BUT i do have this problem in the evenings !

i have tried every trick in the book and it works for a bit then they tend to stay longer and longer chatting about everything from the weather to their sex lives :eek: with their ex husband ( no joke ) !

I am going to have to get a lot stronger as some nights it is really hard to feed all the children im meant to with other parents standing leaning on the breakfast bar expecting a chat while i put the tea out :(

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
hhmm this is a toughie! I have not had lots of children at the same time so never needed to put tea out at the same time as putting tea out etc! I wish there was an actual answer that worked and we could say the magic word and off they trot home!!! xx

son77
06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all your replies ladies.

Nice to know i'm not on my own.

Not much that can be done about it I suppose. Aslong as she stays no longer than 10 mins!