PDA

View Full Version : Paternity Leave Extended?

Schnakes
30-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi All,

Read this this morning and wondered what you thought...firstly about extending maternity leave to twelve months and secondly about extending paternity leave?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/mar/30/paternity-rights-paid-leave

I think its a good idea that the men can have more than they have at the moment...I dont agree that women should have 12 months paid leave...although of course, I would have disagreed entirely when I had my kids! Haha!!! :p

Sx

yummymummy
30-03-2009, 09:09 AM
When I first started babies came to me at 6 months and I found settling in much easier, now it is 9 months I have found that they don't seem to come before a year old and settling in it usually much harder. If mums now get a whole year paid, what age will it be before they come to you now???
But I had such a pathetic amount of maternity leave and the pay was appalling so like you I would be in full agreement if I was expecting now instead of many moons ago! :eek:
My mindees dads all very hands on so I think the extra paternity leave a good idea though.

Schnakes
30-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I dont know why they thought 9 months was a good idea...bang on time for seperation anxiety to kick in...are they mad???

Sx

yummymummy
30-03-2009, 09:26 AM
My sentiments exactly!

Alibali
30-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I had to go back to work when my first dd was 6 weeks, and then I only got paid leave for the next 2 for 3 months! I'd have loved some more paid time off.

Blackhorse
30-03-2009, 09:27 PM
well in austria parents can be off for 3 years...
You don't get paid for the full 3 years but your job will be open for you to return to.
It used to be 3 years that mums were allowed to be off, but the way they have changed it to now is that one parent can take 2 years and 6 months off and the other parent - usually the dad- 6 months (not at the same time though)
I know so many mums that don't want to put their kids into nurseries etc but have to go back to work... which I personally think is sad as they don't have a choice.
I believe that parents should have more options available to them if they want to....
but then if I think about some friends i have in china, they need to be back at work in less than 6 weeks (and that is full time..!! couln't imagine that at all!!)