PDA

View Full Version : what type of being sick means I can't work?

beckyteddy
29-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry if thats a bit of a strange title but coudn't think how to word it!

My 2 year old son has been sick twice this morning but is absoutely fine, running around, playing etc. and he has no temperature or other symptoms of a bug. Just wondering if the 48 hour exclusion rule for "sickness bugs" and gastroentiritis would apply, as I don't actually think he has a bug and so is probably not contageous?

I'm pretty sure that he's got a poorly tummy because his gran took him to McDonalds at 6.30pm last night, gave him a huge McFlurry and then put him straight to bed! I think because he eats so heathily at home that his little tummy coudn't cope with all the sugar/fat and thats why he's been sick.

But what do I tell my mindees parents? Do I close for 48 hours or do I tell the parents the situation and let them decide if they want to bring their children tomorrow?

Any replies in the next hour would be gratefully recieved xx

FizzysFriends
29-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I opened when I had food allergy vommiting. I was 100% sure thats what it was though.

DudleyChildmind
29-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I would phone the parents and tell them exactly what you have said above and give them the choice as to whether they want their children to attend or not :)

I hope your little boy feels better soon.

Polly2
29-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I would also give parents the choice - I have done this in the past, then if they chose not to send them I wouldn't charge.

beckyteddy
29-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Just phoned the first parent to give them the choice about bringing her little boy tomorrow, and she told me that her son was sick on Friday night after he'd been with me and my son all day.

This makes me think it is a bug! Although as her son and my son have now both had it, do you think he would probably be ok to come to me tomorrow any way?

Pipsqueak
29-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Even if kids have the same tummy bug - and they are together they are going to pass germs to each other on a merrygoround cycle. Its best to keep to the 48 hr exclusion to knock it on the head if you think its a bug

nikim
29-03-2009, 06:22 PM
i personaly would tell them not to come for 48 hrs (or maybe 24 if you fell that is appropriate ), you may find yourself in an awkward situation ,when the shoe is on the other foot iyswim, i have had parents say the same thing to me for example " x was sick in the night but im sure it was the tuna sandwich that granny made him eat as he doesnt like tuna but he seems absolutly fine now " then taken the child only for him to be sick an hour after she left him with me :( , im sure your right about your son as you know him best but parents will try anything so they can still go to work, and may use your situation against you, if you have a clear exclusion policy ie after any type of sickness then parents are clear on whats expected , hope hes better soon xx

rickysmiths
29-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I tend to agree especially as a mindee has been sick as well, stick to the 48hr rule and get rid of the bug.

I had a mindee go home at luch time on thurs with Slap Cheek then another went home and was sick at home, had a call from mum this afternoon he has been very poorly all w/e and won't be with me until Wed. Third mindee had to go home early on Fri, Slap Cheek for this one as well.:panic: None of us has been ill yet!

It is hard when you have to close and loose money, I have had 5 days off sick between oct last and the middle of Jan, unheard of for me, I'm never off sick. It cost me over £600 but I had no choice. Hope your son is back on top form tomorrow.

beckyteddy
29-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Thats a good point about parents expectations if their own children are sick, I hadn't thought of it from that angle. I'll be strict (as I have been in the past) and mention the fact that I athough I obviously can't exclude my own child from my home, if he had been a minded child I would have had to turn him away.

I have made it clear to my mindees parents that whilst I believe my son is not poorly/contageous they have to make their own decision about any possible risks if they choose to bring their children to me tomorrow.

I've rung round all my parents and every single one has said they would like their child to come to me tomorrow regardless and were all really gratefull that I had been honest and up-front about my little one. My mother-in-law said I was too honest and shouldn't say anything but I couldn't possibly have done that, I'd have felt far too guilty and unproffessional.

(I think MIL is a bit out of touch with modern ways though, she asked me last week if I got time to do my ironing whilst the mindees play!)

singlewiththree
30-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Two weeks ago I rang my mindees mum to say my DD had a high temp for the last 2 days however inbetween calpol she is fine so she decided to bring her son. The following week (he only comes Thur) I got a phone call asking how long the high temp lasts as he had caught it and he was due for an operation on the Fri which had to get cancelled. I felt really guilty but I had given her a choice and she had chosen to bring him so it wasn't my fault. Its an open invitation to get ill if you know my children are ill and you still want to send them.