PDA

View Full Version : Do you know the makaton sign for teacher?

singlewiththree
29-03-2009, 07:01 AM
We are reading brown bear, brown bear what do you see and I know the signs of all he animals just dont know the sign for teacher. Also, does anyone know of a website that can show me the colours signs, I'm learning from my 2 year old :blush: who adores something special and she can sometimes get a bit muddled and if I ask her to repeat it she says "you sign, red" and does the actions :laughing: I just want to keep up with it as she is so good at it.

balloon
29-03-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't know the sign for teacher sorry, but did you know you can get something special on dvd from the makaton site? May make learning it easier?

Shar
29-03-2009, 08:29 AM
The sign for teacher is :

Index hands( palms in, pointing up) at each side of mouth, move forward/out in two movements.

Hope this helps. XX:thumbsup:

singlewiththree
29-03-2009, 02:04 PM
The sign for teacher is :

Index hands( palms in, pointing up) at each side of mouth, move forward/out in two movements.

Hope this helps. XX:thumbsup:

Ahh thats what she was doing she put her finger to her mouth and moved it outwards twice.

I have one of the something special DVD's but they are £20 each so we tend to use catch up TV but I'm ashamed to say when she sits and watches it I have a cuppa and go on here or do some paperwork as she is glued to it. I tried to enrol her into sing and sign classes but she is too old at 2 1/2 however she loves it. We have a sing and sign DVD as well and go to the free sessions at the library.

breezy
29-03-2009, 04:14 PM
These sites can always help

http://www.makaton.org/

http://www.signtogether.co.uk/

Chell
30-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Breezy, Sign Together is down. My DH broke it trying to do a forum upgrade and has never had a chance to fix it.

I wasn't sure if the Makaton sign was the same as BSL but from the post above it is.

The Something Special DVDs aren't £20 everywhere, mine are £17.99. Some sites do sell them for £19.99 and I've seen them go for £33 on eBay. :eek:

breezy
30-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Breezy, Sign Together is down. My DH broke it trying to do a forum upgrade and has never had a chance to fix it.

I wasn't sure if the Makaton sign was the same as BSL but from the post above it is.

The Something Special DVDs aren't £20 everywhere, mine are £17.99. Some sites do sell them for £19.99 and I've seen them go for £33 on eBay. :eek:

Oh, sorry to hear that, never mind theres always here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

breezy
30-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Oh, sorry to hear that, never mind theres always here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couldnt remember your site address either,sorry!

mummyof3
30-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm not alone!!! My 2yr ds signs when he talks it amazes me he is always right as well! He too is a huge Justin fan and will watch something special for hours and its the only time I get a break. ;)

Oh and we got our something special dvds for £17.99 from Chell :thumbsup:

Toothfairy
31-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm starting to use Makaton within my setting on my toddlers.
Do you give a copy of the signs you are using to your parents, so they know what the child is doing?

Cammie Doodle
31-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I did a signalong course with the girls from my village Nursery , I loved it and the kids enjoyed learning along with me :thumbsup:

Chell
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm starting to use Makaton within my setting on my toddlers.
Do you give a copy of the signs you are using to your parents, so they know what the child is doing?

I would, the idea of signing is to ease frustration as they have a method of pre-verbal communication. If their main carers don't know the signs then it will lead to frustration rather than over come it.