PDA

View Full Version : unregistered Care

louloudi
27-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Having read the last few threads regarding that mad woman on netmum:eek:

What do people think of unregistered minders? I personally think its cheating folk like us who pay our way and abide by the rules.

Yet there is a woman in my village (Small village) who has years of experience(large family and loads of grankids) and she minds several children as a private agreement, I think mainly just the odd hour after school. The parents are happy to do this and one quoted 'I've been down the registered route and that didn't work' What that is supposed to mean I don't know?

So do you ever think that in some situations its ok to mind unregistered?

Chatterbox Childcare
27-03-2009, 10:13 PM
If she isn't getting paid and it is less than 2 hours a day my understanding is that she doesn't have to be registered.

If she comes outside of this, she needs to register.

What happens in the holidays?

Gizmo
27-03-2009, 10:23 PM
i am in pre reg and have had a few phone calls, a couple of the mums when i have explained the situation have said it doesnt matter (do they not care who they send there kids to)

Twinkles
27-03-2009, 10:32 PM
It does make me cross when you think of all the work we have to do to get and remain registered. Why should some people be exempt ?

I wonder what OFSTED actually do if they catch someone who is not registered ?

Pudding Girl
27-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I am completely against it. Makes a mockery of us who do all the things required of us at time and cost to ourselves more often than not. I would report anyone I knew was doing it illegally regardless of who they were and I do mean that.

Eileen322
27-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Where I live, people pay more for their cleaners than for childcare!:mad: I can't understand why some parents cannot see that their children are the most precious things in their lives, surely you want the best for them!:( Thats one of the reasons I left nannying!

I have on occasions left my little one with a friend, but I dont pay her and visa versa. Since becoming a childminder it has made me more wary of leaving my children, even with babysitters and will prefably use my registered childminding friends(the perks of the job:thumbsup: )

I have friends in different boroughs, where unregistered childminders are a problem, these people charge £1.50ph, how can you compete with that!:angry: My friend reported this person to Ofsted, they came round, told this woman not to do it, blah blah, the next day..........the woman continued regardless!!!

Ripeberry
27-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I've had our local unregistered carer laugh at me for going through the process of registering just because i don't have anyone yet! :mad: Then her "client" comes up to me and says she would never use a registered minder as they are part of the government :eek: .
What a load of wallies! I get registered because i want to cover myself and to make sure that i am and continue to be the best at my job!
(un-registered childminder can't even control her own kids let alone anyone elses, told me she's scared of her sons :panic: ) they would never pass the CRBs.
Just bidding my time :)

louloudi
27-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Is it true that if you report such people Ofsted don't really have the power to prosecute? they just send out a letter to ask if you are minding!

People will just say 'Who me? No', and trying to prove it...well I suppose its difficult..... it makes a mockery of the system:angry: .

Ripeberry
27-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah! and a bad mark against us for anything can ruin our business! They really need more powers instead of jumping from a great height onto the childminders who try their best to keep to the rules and care for the children!

Eileen322
27-03-2009, 11:18 PM
but have you noticed how when it does go wrong, especially if its in the press, the media will also refer to these 'babysitters' as Childminders!:angry: Its as if they dont know the difference of registered and unregistered carers, it really makes my blood boil!:angry: :angry:

brillminder
27-03-2009, 11:54 PM
when you offer quality it make you cross :angry:

sue
28-03-2009, 09:59 PM
think there should be more in the media about being against the law if unregistered that way think more parents would understand the LAW. it makes me hopping mad to think that they can get away with it:angry: :angry: :angry:

elliemay
28-03-2009, 10:54 PM
If the babysitter is a teacher and she is babysitting for more than 2 hours in her own home then Ofsted would probably just ask her to register they cant deregister her though can they l:angry: My friend uses a foreign student to care for her children,she cooks,she cleans and looks after the kids for board and lodgings[in my friends home] i think this is totally unfair.

Shar
29-03-2009, 08:42 AM
There are about 3 mum's that I know of at my school looking after babies and not registered. One of them has the baby from 6.30am-7.30pm and gets paid £75 per week!!! I know that not one of them would pass a CRB or have the intelligence to be able to become registered. You have to blame the parents at the end of the day, it's fine till something goes wrong.

huggableshelly
29-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Unfortunatly it happens all over the place.

we are the lucky ones doing thisng correctly (or atleast trying too) and we have backup through insurance.

Willowdancer
29-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Well I have to say I am shocked. I have just had a conversation with a "friend who should know better" on MSN where she was talking about having organised unregistered care for the holidays.

I am so cross with her because I am more than 100% certain she knows about the legalities of doing so, and I'm cross with myself cos I couldn't bring myself to get into a ding dong over it so I just bit my tongue and steered the conversation away from the subject. :(

Blackhorse
29-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I find it strange that people don't care more about who is looking after their kids.....
When I started looking into childminding it was not a question in my mind that I would get properly registered...I wouln't be able to take anyones kids into my house without knowing that I am doing everything I can do protect the children as well as myself iyswim..
It really made me mad when I read the thread on netmums.

and I would not leave my child with anyone that wasn't registered either...

sue m
29-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Is that 'discussion' still going on on netmums??? I've been away since Friday so have missed it since then.

Schnakes
30-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Of course, I am totally TOTALLY against unregistered childcare too. One of my kids mums was going to take her out of my care and give her to a friend who she was going to pay. It really upset me because I thought: you just dont realise for one second how much hard work I put into this. You havent got a clue about child development - Im sure this woman doesnt either. How can you want to put her with someone like that? Well - I know the reason! Cos the friend wasnt going to charge her £600 a month to look after her!! (12 hours a day, for gods sake!). The only reason she changed her mind in the end was because I told her it was illegal and, as a solicitor, she didnt want to become involved in anything illegal!!! :eek: Never mind about how detrimental it would have ben to her child! :angry:

This mum hasnt got a ****** clue though - I think she is a very bad mother. She loves the child, but she is NOT a good mother. :angry:

When I was little we were sent to unregistered childminderss and I can tell you some proper horror stories about them too.

Sx

buildingblocks
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I feel strongly as it is people like this who will oftenget professional Childminders a bad name. The difference is we see it as a profession and many people still don't see it as that.

What saddens me more than anything is that people are willing to put their most tresasured posseion in the careof someone not registered. I know intheir minds they only see it as putting it with someone who they know and trust over a stranger but then when things go wrong they are the first to complain.

Unfortunately I think things are never going to change no matter how hard we try until other professionals see us on the same level as them.

carla
02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I AM still waiting to be regisited, ofsted woman doing my reg visit next weds. I have 2 families that have asked me to mind there kids, I have said i can't take any payment for it, but would do it for free til i get regisitered. Would hate for Ofsted to find out, don't wanna be closed down b4 i even start. I dont really wanna loose these people, so am doing it for free til regisitered, plus my son would love the company.

FussyElmo
02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Wouldnt bother reporting them to Ofsted dont think their is much they can do may be wrong on this.

If you want to go down the route of reporting someone do it via the benefits agency - they wii take it more seriously and WILL investigate.

We had this in our area a mum claiming and she was approaching our parents to undercut us none of our parents left luckily. However one of the mums worked for the job centre and took her details and reported her.

She was all over the newspaper for claiming benefits and working - she ended up moving away:)

wendywu
02-04-2009, 01:01 PM
At one of the toddler groups i go to there are two unregistered minders, they always have children and the parents must know that they are not registered.:panic:

rickysmiths
02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Wouldnt bother reporting them to Ofsted dont think their is much they can do may be wrong on this.

If you want to go down the route of reporting someone do it via the benefits agency - they wii take it more seriously and WILL investigate.

We had this in our area a mum claiming and she was approaching our parents to undercut us none of our parents left luckily. However one of the mums worked for the job centre and took her details and reported her.

She was all over the newspaper for claiming benefits and working - she ended up moving away:)

You can also report them to the Tax office, you can bet your life that they don't register as self employed or pay any tax on their illgotten gains!

FussyElmo
02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Send in the tax man - excellent is it stiil true even the Queen cant refuse entry to him?

louloudi
02-04-2009, 03:47 PM
ARGHH! after my original message I have just twigged that a women across the street from me has a child after school!!!!!!!

Now in my village its very difficult to tell whos family as everyone is related in someway and most have never worked a day in their lives!!!! So they tend to look after each others children, or they go to mums friends... I 'm not sure if they are getting paid for it but I bet if they do it on regular basis they are!!!!!It does annoy me slightly as I may have to give up minding in the future due to lack of business!!!!!
Am I fighting a losing battle. The reason I started minding was because I have struggled to find childcare for my own as I have no family that could help.
If I had some balls I would phone the social!!!:angry:

gegele
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
with all the time and money that it took me to be registered.....!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Ripeberry
02-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Yes, its very galling as i've spent at least £500 i think with all the improvements to the house and garden to make it perfect for kids and when our local unregistered carer laughed at me for not having anyone yet it was really hurtfull, especially as her garden is too dangerous for kids (full of scrap cars) and her husband has had previous so would never pass a CRB.
People just seem to care more about money than their own children :(