PDA

View Full Version : Cycling children to school

Daftbat
27-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else confused / concerned about the article in Who minds about the childminder who takes children to school on bicycles?

Whilst she is taking some precautions e.g using quiet roads, walking at some points and getting the children to stop at particular points i would not feel happy as a minder or a parent that one childminder is cycling with several children to and from school.

I think its just asking for trouble.

HomefromHome
27-03-2009, 04:54 PM
i'm gonna write in bout that article - she wasnt wearing a cycle helmet!!!!!!
what message does that send out - make the kids wear one but i dont - totally wrong and it makes me MAD!!!!!! dont get me started on cycle helmets/cyclists on paths etc etc:censored:

~Chelle~
27-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I noticed that she had no hemlet on!! When my own kids and I go out, first thing we do is put a helmet on and I have explained to them the reason why. A helmet saved my friends husband when he got knocked off his cycle, the doctor said if not for his helmet, which was badly damaged, he would have probably been brain damaged!

As for the childminder taking kids on their bikes and riding the bike herself, I do not agree with this at all. What if one fell off and needed her attention, what would happen to the one on the back of her bike??

I had one of those seats on the bike of my bike for my DS and they make the boke very heavy. She would'nt just be able to prop the bike up with the child still sitting in the seat.

Would love to see her risk assements on that one!!!!

louise
27-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I saw that i didn't like it either. orry i know accidents can happen in the car aswell but i wouldn't be happy with my child being on the bike.

Slightly of subject. There is a mum in my sons class who rides her bike on the road with out a helmet while her son who is 4 cycles or goes on his scotter. He zooms infront everyone as he keeps up. She cant watch him and road at same time. The only benfit is her getting home early!

Lou

huggableshelly
27-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I have considered cycling to school as I can go through a park but then have a min road to cross, I take 5 to school. I bring 7/8 home so decided against it due to others not having bikes and knowing I couldnt carry two on my bike ... not got the leg power for a kiddy trailer.

most of my over 8's have done cycle preficiency so really I would not have an issue cycling with them and crossing safely using the lights, the youngers ones make me uneasy hence me not going ahead with the idea.

She should have had a helmet on but maybe it was just missing for the photos!

singlewiththree
27-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I let the children cycle/scooter to school but on the pavement a head of me stopping at the lamposts and they all wear helmets! I couldn't imagine me being on a bike too!

John
27-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Hope some one will write to them as i have notice over the last cupple of years some photo's are a health and safety promlems in them.

I got a childcare mag once last year can't remember the name of it, but it showed a 3 year old with a half an apple in his hand and useing a butter Knife to cut it:panic: i know it was just a blunt butter Knife, but it's showing children to use your hand as a cuting board.

John

helenlc
27-03-2009, 08:56 PM
... not got the leg power for a kiddy trailer.

I am curious about other people's views on these trailers and using them with minded children. I walked home last week with my own 2 children on their bikes - it took me ages walking. I dont like the idea of the seats on the back of the bike, but wondered about putting my one 3 yr old mindee in one of these.

Wasnt sure where I would stand with risk assessment, insurance etc?

We stick to crossing the park and using quieter roads so wouldnt be going on a main or busy road.

louloudi
27-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Also saw the article!!!

Where do they find these people who seem to find such hazardous activities a breeze?

I can just imagine it now! Me shouting after them, one speeding off ahead, others allover the road!! Cars!!! pedestrians!!! Buses!!!:eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
27-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I walk or cycle to school with 6 children. I am on my pushbike with one toddler on the back or walking with 2 in the buggy and the rest on scooters.

The other children have all learnt to wait at a road for me and are always in sight.

I have no problems with this.

In the summer there are 3 adults to 24 children all out on scooters, bikes, buggies and we don't have any problems.

John
27-03-2009, 10:38 PM
You can tell me off as i'm going of topic here: as we are talking bikes, where do i stand it a older child of 11 wants to take his bike to school and ride it in my home? his mum asked me today would he be able too.

I'm not a driver myself but i use a bike to get from A to B and use a big taxi for school pick ups. But the older kids love bike riding i'm not to bad were i live as their are so many safe places to ride, the children love going on a bike track that leads to the coast a 3 miles ride. But all the children bike get tested before hand and all helmets are put on.

John

Chatterbox Childcare
27-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Am I reading this as the child wants to come to your home from school and not be collected?

If so, I don't have a problem with this and have an Independant Arrival Policy and letter for mum to sign saying that child is not your responsibility until they arrive at my home.

John
27-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Am I reading this as the child wants to come to your home from school and not be collected? yes
If so, I don't have a problem with this and have an Independant Arrival Policy and letter for mum to sign saying that child is not your responsibility until they arrive at my home.

Would like to hear if anyone else as to say about this, thank's Deb:)

huggableshelly
27-03-2009, 11:39 PM
the bike trailer - I looked at getting one the local bike store had one in stock for me to look at but i was told it was very heavy and not suitable for children over a certain weight. I decided it against it as feared a car would bump into the trailer and would have been to wide to use the pathway in the park.

If anyone were to look into this then yes risk assess ask parents views and decide if its really safe to do so. i chose against it you may see it differently.

John ..... i had an 11 year old leave school on his bike then arrive alone to my home. I#m a car driver, i used to meet him in school to have his bag off him even though he was capable of carrying it himself i made sure i saw him collect his bike and set off. By the time I got all the mindees in the car and set off home he had made his way through the open park and out the other side where i could then see him again. He only did this for 3 wks then the novelty worn off especially when it rained as I couldn't get his bike in my car. and also he had to cycle from my home back to his home so he had his bike for the morning .... parents were responsible for that not me.