PDA

View Full Version : walking with older children

Helen79
27-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I have only ever looked after mindees who are young enough to be in the pushchair so have no experience of this.

If you look after older children 5+ do they have to walk next to you or can they walk on ahead?
I mean like 5m, not going on ahead where I can't see them

My dd (4) walks on ahead or is on her scooter while I push the pushchair, she never goes round corners & always stops at the roads. She's always a safe distance so she can still hear me. We live in a quiet area with no busy roads. Don't know if this acceptable for mindees too?

Chatterbox Childcare
27-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I think if you walk the first time and you can clearly see that they are okay on the road then it is fine. Mine take scooter, bikes but with guidance and boundaries, i.e. go to the end of this road or the green door. I always say to them "if you cannot see me then I cannot see you so turn around and come back". They rarely go too far and the other children tell them off.

jellytot
27-03-2009, 10:36 AM
mine also walk a little ahead of me, except for those days where they all want to walk next to me and all want to talk at the same time, oh how I love those days :rolleyes:

angeldelight
27-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I think it depends on how sensible the child is

How old they are

And how well you know them

My older one walks ahead with his friend and knows he can not go far and he must stay in sight of me and is not allowed to cross any roads with out me

Angel xx

nannysue
27-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Walking with little ones they hold onto the buggy or my hand, older ones either with me, or can WALK ( definatly no running, i cringe when i see children running along past drive ways, they would not stand a chance if a car was pulling out:panic: ) but only a few paces ahead, they know not to turn a corner and always stand back from the kerb.

mrsbumbles
27-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I have a walking rope, all the children hold a loop,they walk in two,s, the oldest at the front to lead the way (10 yr olds) and littlest at the back (3 yr olds) and i hold on to the back loop :)

(felt like father xmas with my reindeer at xmas lol)

I walk 8 to and from school like this and get plenty of funny looks and loads of comments, it is the only way i feel i have total control of all of them :)

Helen79
27-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks, I thought it be just down to my common sense & knowing how sensible the child was.

Lady Haha
27-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Before I got my eight seater, I was walking six to and from school. They all had to wear hi-viz tabards and all had to stay in front of me, but not too far. I have one who I'm still trying to 'train up' on stopping at driveways to see if a car is pulling out. And we only have to walk from the car up to the school now. They all know that I must be able to see them, so no going round corners til I get there etc. And they must stay in a group!

Polka Dots
27-03-2009, 01:06 PM
My own children like to skip on ahead sometimes, our rule is no further than the next lamp post and they seem to like this idea.

FizzysFriends
27-03-2009, 01:06 PM
It depends on where you are too, there is one road here where it doesn't matter how sensible the children are I wouldn't let them away from me as the cars go so fast and will sometimes bump up the kerb to get around othere cars.

huggableshelly
27-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I use high viz tabbards in the winter months allowing older mindees to walk ahead, younger mindees walk infront but behind the older mindees, youngest age 4 hols my hand ... his choice and it suits me fine.

I would prefer a bigger car as some days i walk 8 but insurance nd tax is too costly and not worth the upgrade. I just need to stop being lazy lol

FizzysFriends
27-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I use high-vis jackets all year because it makes them easy to pick out, especially on the way to school where the pavement is crammed with people and the kids look similar in their uniform.

manjay
27-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I always have 2 in the double pushchair, 2 holding straps either side and the over 5s walk just ahead. They generally only walk a few paces ahead and it is usually me telling them to go further in front as I am running them over with the pram:D

louloudi
27-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a carry on nearly every day!! Where do I go wrong!!
My own is 10 and is fine, on the odd occasion I have a 8, 7, 5yr old that are really good and listen to instruction. Then I have 2 siblings one 5 and the other 2 and a half who hates to walk. I refuse to carry him now as its 3mins walk to school and I've a bad shoulder, so he was in tears and the one crying because my son was walking infront and he wanted to be in front ahhh!
I sometimes wonder what other think:eek: probably I'm awful minder with children in tears or that poor ****** lol

estrelas
27-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I always have 2 in the double pushchair, 2 holding straps either side and the over 5s walk just ahead. They generally only walk a few paces ahead and it is usually me telling them to go further in front as I am running them over with the pram

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i'm scared walking with three!! i suppose my confidence will come in time :)

mushpea
27-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I ususaly have a 17month old in the pram a 2yrold either walking or on the buggy board depnding on his mood! but always on a wrist strap, a 3 yrold walking but holding the pram then a nearly 6yrold, 8yrold and 10yrold walking infront too. I have the rule that they walk beside me or infront of me but not behind me as i need to be able to see them and its hard when two are in front and one is dragging behind. I give them all points to run/walk to then they wait for me to catch up then off they go again, its so part of the routine that i don't even need to tell them now, usualy things liek the blue gate or lamp posts, it also sort of jollys the journey along, i was petrifed the first time i went out with them but you soon get to know them and whether they will listen to you or not when you tell them to stop.

loocyloo
27-03-2009, 04:35 PM
all the children wear hi-viz, regardless of the weather! ( we walk, regardless of the weather! )

little ones in a buggy, young walkers on reins, also holding on to straps attached to buggy, all children walking in front of me. we walk along a busy road, so no running. once we get to a safer part, the children can run to each lamp post, and MUST wait for me, if they don't wait, they don't get the opportunity to run again until the next day!

works well for us! :D