PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed ASAP please re peanut butter and 10 month old

venus89
27-03-2009, 08:27 AM
My 10 month old (nearly) mindee has rolled up this morning witha jar of peanut butter in his lunch bag. there are no instructions.

When my kids were young then you didn't give nuts to babies full stop. My husband tells me that things have changed now. What is the guidance?

I'm assuming that he's had it before, hopefully several times, but don't know for a fact. mum won't be contactable.

Pipsqueak
27-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I thought the advice was no nutty things for under 2's (or is it 1's) and no actual nuts for under 5's. I could be wrong though

I would give parents a call and ask them what they want you do with it and as you understand it you shouldn't be giving nutty products under a certain age group and you need their permission (by text should be fine and sign a bit of paper later). Alternatively you can provide lunch at £xxxx cost.

Pudding Girl
27-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I think it's under 2s, will see if I can find something online for you hang on...

Pudding Girl
27-03-2009, 08:40 AM
From the FSA website:

Peanut allergy
Peanut allergy seems to be increasing among children, although it is not yet known why. Children from families with a history of allergy are most at risk. If your baby's immediate family has any allergies, asthma or eczema (if they are what is known as 'atopic') the following may help reduce the risk of your baby developing this life-threatening allergy:

* you might want to avoid eating peanuts or peanut products while you are breastfeeding
* wait until your child is at least three years old before you give any peanuts, or foods containing peanuts, peanut (groundnut) oil or peanut butter
* read ingredients lists carefully and, if youre in doubt, avoid the products

This is the only reference to peanut butter.

TBH if my little one brought peanut butter I wouldn't give it to them, allergic reactions don't happen the first time they have a food, it's the 2nd or subsequent. I wouldn't be prepared to risk it.

Can you ring parents?

venus89
27-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Thank you all - I didn't think it was a good idea to give it to him. i can try ringing Mum but I don't think I'll get through to her. I'll print off the thing which says don't and put it in her contact book to explain why I haven't given it to him.

Thank you so much for the swift replies xxx

angeldelight
27-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Def do not give it the child

wait until your child is at least three years old before you give any peanuts, or foods containing peanuts, peanut (groundnut) oil or peanut butter

That is the advice from the food standards agency

You need to scroll right down the page for the nut allergy section

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/baby/weaning/

Hope that helps

Angel xx

angeldelight
27-03-2009, 08:58 AM
From the FSA website:

This is the only reference to peanut butter.

TBH if my little one brought peanut butter I wouldn't give it to them, allergic reactions don't happen the first time they have a food, it's the 2nd or subsequent. I wouldn't be prepared to risk it.

Can you ring parents?

Sorry George I missed your information and repeated it haha

Angel xx

sarah707
27-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Ds has an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts.

They are banned from my house.

right decision not to give to a little one. Too many risks involved.

The allergy / reaction can come on after eating them once, twice, three times and even more :(

ajs
27-03-2009, 09:09 AM
funny you should post this, this morning
i am eating peanut butter on toast and changed the knife i was using rather then risk the 2 yr old coming into contact with any left on the knife.
i would not risk it for a child so young what so ever.

venus89
27-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Just what I needed Angel, thanks xx

rickysmiths
27-03-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a policy that I don't offer mindees of any age peanut butter or any nuts of any description just to safeguard them all.

I wouldn't give any to this child and I would print off some info for the parents and have a chat tonight.

Saranotts
27-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Definitely not a good idea, not just because of the risk of allergy but also because peanut butter clags (technical term) together and causes a choking a hazard to the under 3's.

Sara

Helen79
27-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't give it either.
dd (4) has never had anything with nuts in, if i have chocolate that I don't want to share I tell her it's got nuts in so she's not allowed it ;) :laughing: (she's usually just had her own chocolate & is trying to get mine too, I'm not totally mean :) )

I was actually going to post about peanut allergy today, I've had an enquiry for a 7year old with a peanut allergy, what do I have to do to keep my home safe for him?

Obviously not have any nut products around when he's here but do I have to keep my home totally nut free?

cher25
27-03-2009, 10:07 AM
1 of my friends children became allergic to nuts a couple of years ago, she is 14 now. So it can happen at anytime at all.
The other thing is that even have a packet of nuts open around a child who is allergic can give them a reaction. My friend is asian and i know they use a fair bit of peanut products at some of their weddings, the child hadn't had anything to eat and hadn't been in contact with nuts at all, but had a major reaction which resulted in being taken to hospital just because their was nuts present in something.

RachelE
27-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I was actually going to post about peanut allergy today, I've had an enquiry for a 7year old with a peanut allergy, what do I have to do to keep my home safe for him?

A peanut allergy does not mean that a child is allergic to nuts.
My son is allergic to peanuts, but we now allow him to eat pistchios on special occasions.
Peanuts are actually Legumes and are closely linked with other food you might not assume - for example my son had a pea intolerance - they are part of the same food group.
So, I'd say that your home doesnt have to be totally nut free, unless of course he is allergic to nuts aswell.

As for the peanut butter, I agree with all of the above - it was very scary when we realised ds had a peanut allergy after eating a peanut butter sandwich.

Helen79
27-03-2009, 01:48 PM
A peanut allergy does not mean that a child is allergic to nuts.
My son is allergic to peanuts, but we now allow him to eat pistchios on special occasions.
Peanuts are actually Legumes and are closely linked with other food you might not assume - for example my son had a pea intolerance - they are part of the same food group.
So, I'd say that your home doesnt have to be totally nut free, unless of course he is allergic to nuts aswell.

Thanks for the info.
I've spoken to the allergy team this morning who said I will have to refresh my epipen training as it's been longer than a year since I did the training.
Will speak to the parent's to find out what they do at home & what he can & can't eat. I provide all the food so it's easier to control than if all the children were bringing their own food.

buildingblocks
30-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like everyone gave you useful advice.

What were you supposed to do give them the peanut butter from the jar you would have thought she would have least have put hte bread in for a sandwich