PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

Doll123
26-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey all was wondering if you have ever had work experience students from secondary schools. one of my friends daughters is due to take her work experience soon and wants to come and do it with me.
Do i need to inform ofsted or just make sure she's not left alone with the children?

Love Katie xx

buildingblocks
30-03-2009, 06:09 AM
I used to have students haven't recently as childrens hours do not match the students needs. I had one excellent and 2 rubbish ones.

I checked they had a CRB (our college make sure they have them) and noted doen the number of CRB check, couldn't be left alone but I had parental permission for them to change nappies etc under supervision if parents objected there was space for them to object to anything they didn't want student involved in.

Ona personal note I think it is a good thing to do as when I did my NNEB I wanted to be a nanny and so the experience of being in a home prepared me for this but now they can only go to settings that have been police cleared so rules out going to family friends etc unless they are childminders.

I informed Ofsted as I felt it was good practise and covered me if they turned up and queried it (mind you I inform Ofsted of everything just in case lol)

cheeky monkeys
30-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Hey all was wondering if you have ever had work experience students from secondary schools. one of my friends daughters is due to take her work experience soon and wants to come and do it with me.
Do i need to inform ofsted or just make sure she's not left alone with the children?

Love Katie xx

My neighbours daughter wanted to do this with me. However the school wouldn't allow her to. Reasons being under 16 and working in a private home and thats before health and safety and risk assessments.

Check with the school first...College students are a different matter

huggableshelly
30-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I had a student with me, her parents came to meet me and I had to get employers liability insurance cover too.

the school came to see me as well as the work experience co-ordinator, parents dropped her off and picked her up again.

I had to fill out a form stating she will not be left alone with the children, she could help prepare food but not to use the sharp knives (health and safety) but I only had her doing drinks bottles not any other food.

She came to the toddler groups and school runs too well basically shadowed me just make sure you give the student an hours lunch away from the children this is a school rule, my student didn't take her break the first day so I called her parents to arrange an early pick up, then she sued my spare room for the rest of the wk for time out.

I called ofsted, they just noted it on my file thingy but no CRB was needed as she was a fulltime school child.

Donkey
30-03-2009, 08:50 AM
most kids who do work experience are 14/15/16

just wondering why she couldnt use knives??? surely they do cooking at school from 11 and my 11 year old mindee uses knives to cook with at my house...

she has made toad in the hole (I do all the oven stuff) and mushroom risotto as well as lots of baking...

*confused*

huggableshelly
30-03-2009, 09:49 AM
its a health and safety rule of the school so I abided by the rules in place.

I do wonder how a student would get on if they worked in a kitchen/cafe work place. never thought of that before but I guess they would gain more supervision.

Hebs
30-03-2009, 11:39 AM
my daughter wants to do hers with me and i said she wasn't allowed, maybe she will :thumbsup: