PDA

View Full Version : Star Chart started by parent

singlewiththree
26-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a parent of a 18mth old who is starting a star chart with him and his 9yr old sister. She wants me to continue it when he is with me. Personally I don't feel the need to do one with him, I think he is too young to grasp it and also he hasn't shown any behaviour to me that would warrant one. What would you do?

I don't have his sister only the 18mth old

huggableshelly
26-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Ask the parent what to reward and what she feels suitable behaviour is but also relay that he is a good child and you do not feel the need to use it in your home with suggesting she uses it at home for evenings and wkends, if she still feels the need for a chart in your home then you will need to respect her wishes.

possibly she is just trying to treat her children alike thinking one needs the chart so both can have one.

Spangles
26-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't have thought an 18 month old would have a clue what was going on with a reward chart?

I guess there's no harm doing it if the parent is really adamant, just seems a bit pointless though at that age in my opinion.

x

loocyloo
26-03-2009, 05:05 PM
18mths???:eek:

does he know what a star is? !!!!

i once had a mum of an 5yr old wnat me to continue the star chart she was doing when he was with me, and i said but he doesn't have thse issues with me ... she said no, so he would get lots of stars with you! i was firm and said i couldn't do it, as i wasn't doing it for anyone else!

madasahatter
26-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I also think it's not really appropriate for an 18 month old. Also the idea of continuing a star chart from home wouldn't appeal to me for any child. Each setting (be it home or your house) should be seperate otherwise more clued up older children can try and play one off against the other. I have always said that I don't care how naughty a child is at home they have a fresh start here every day and if they are naughty here I will deal with it, I don't expect the parent to deal out extra punishment at home (I feel that would undermine my ability to deal with any issues and potentially lose respect from the child).
The only times I've used star/sticker charts have been when toilet training and when trying to drill in handwashing routines.
Go with what you are comfortable with. If you don't normally use star charts then you can can use memory lapses as an excuse.

cher25
26-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I tried doing star charts for a 5 year old's behaviour and a 3 year old potty training. It worked for their ages. However the 5 year olds brother who was 14 month's at the time wanted the same. He knew which was his and alway's smiled when i put a star on for whatever new thing he did and he enjoyed showing it to his mam. But he didn't understand what it was really for. So it was pretty pointless apart from seeing the big grin on his face.

Demonjill
26-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Wouldnt do any harm. And it teaches the young ones to join in and learn to do things as a group :thumbsup: DD loved the shiny stars

angeldelight
26-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I have a parent of a 18mth old who is starting a star chart with him and his 9yr old sister. She wants me to continue it when he is with me. Personally I don't feel the need to do one with him, I think he is too young to grasp it and also he hasn't shown any behaviour to me that would warrant one. What would you do?

I don't have his sister only the 18mth old

I would just go along with what the parent wants to be honest

It is not going to make much more work for you whatever you think

Personally I think 18mths is young but hey ho anything for a bit of peace if it keeps parents happy

Angel xx