PDA

View Full Version : oh no

littlethistle
26-03-2009, 12:59 PM
im having a wee wobbler :panic:

im starting to wonder if i should become a cm??

Ive wanted to do this for years and more so now i have my 2 boys. I dont doubt my ability to do the job but i am worrying about my lack of confidence and im too shy:blush:

Im nervous now about dealing with parents :eek: especially after reading a few posts about parents some of you have had to deal with :panic:

i`m totally amazed at some parents attitude towards cm`s :eek:

haribo
26-03-2009, 01:12 PM
dont worry ! if you are confident with children thats the main thing, dealing with parents becomes easier the more you do it . i am shy and when i started i was like a little mouse , but luckily ive had some great parents and ive only had a couple of tricky ones and i look back now and cant believe how much ive changed over the past 16 yrs . your confidence with parents will improve all the time,till you feel you can cope with almost anyone and anything :laughing: so if you have decided you want to be a c.minder go ahead and im sure you will be a good one . my main worries now are keeping up with the paperwork ..:eek:

huggableshelly
26-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I have one difficult parent out of the 11 I work with but she is almost trained up to the way things are done lol.

give it a go, you are a Mother with experience dont doubt yourself.

singlewiththree
26-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I felt like that too but now I'm doing it I'm not too bad. I do still worry about parents and what they think and am not very good with the money situation and tend to get walked on a fair bit as I try and be "friends" with the parents but now I'm leaning its not a friends relationship its a business one and they need to know that.

Shar
26-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Don't worry, don't be put off and go for it!! We all learn from experience and remember big problems are quite rare. Most people are nice, honest and just like us- human!!:thumbsup:

fionamal
26-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Dont let it put you off, there are loads of lovely parents out there who make it all worth while.

littlethistle
26-03-2009, 02:25 PM
thanks everyone :blush: i need to have more faith in myself eh.

hopefully once i get going the confidence will grow too. suppose id be nuts to quit before i give it a try.

I just hope potential parent will see past my shyness lol

as for paperwork.... i love paperwork :clapping:

Lady Haha
26-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I was like that too, when I first started childminding. I almost felt cheeky charging people and hated asking for money. My confidence has grown so much in the last two years. When my first parent came to visit initially, I was sooooo nervous, but now I've done it so many times, I almost forget to let them get a word in!

I hate confrontation and I take the easy way out by sending letters to parents if I have a problem like late payment etc. I always start the letters by saying that 'I am legally obliged to put the following in writing' so then it doesn't look like I am a coward:cool:

Roseolivia
26-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Don't worry, not all parents are bad. All of mine are great and one is a headteacher and is so laid back about her children. Just remember it's your business and home and if you don't get a good vibe about the family you don't have to take them on. Don't agree to anything straight away as then you'll feel bad if you get a better offer or decide against it.

Demonjill
26-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I am shy too and there are times when ive thought several times in my life " I cant do it" but i usually manage to surprise myself and then i get a fab sense of achievement however small.:clapping: Im hoping it will be the same with childminding. Im nervous too as i have only ever "done" horses so it will be all new ( well not quite cos i have my own 2 kids):D
Stick in there and you will be fine. Life never goes perfect but if it gets half way there your doing fine.:thumbsup:

mandy moo
26-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Don't worry, not all parents are bad. All of mine are great and one is a headteacher and is so laid back about her children. Just remember it's your business and home and if you don't get a good vibe about the family you don't have to take them on. Don't agree to anything straight away as then you'll feel bad if you get a better offer or decide against it.

Bloomin good advice from all, especially theone highlighted, which I know to my cost.
Go with your intuition Id say, coz its normally right.

i`m totally amazed at some parents attitude towards cm`s
Youve been on Netmums then:laughing: