PDA

View Full Version : Did you complete your SEF?

miss muffit
26-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi just wondering... how many completed their SEF form and gave to inspector before their inspection

please vote :D

Mouse
26-03-2009, 08:51 AM
I completed mine, even though I had very little notice. She said it was very useful.

ajs
26-03-2009, 09:03 AM
haven't done mine yet but know i am due an inspection any day
so i know i should but just cba

loocyloo
26-03-2009, 09:06 AM
i did, but there was a problem with the way the inspectors were able to access the submitted SEFs, and she couldn't read mine before my inspection!

she asked if i had a hard copy, i said no, and that it would take too long to put PC on, find and print it!

she graded me, but said she wanted to read my SEF before confirming!

worth doing!

xxx

angeldelight
26-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I did mine and it was a nightmare

I advise anyone who needs to do it soon to get started

It is long and takes you longer than you expect - you also repeat yourself so many times and try to sit thinking of different ways to answer

It took me ages to get on the Ofsted site with my password etc then I had to call them

Then I had done it in word and the site would not let me copy and paste
I once again called Ofsted and they said that option had been disabled
There was another way to do it and that did not work for me either so I ended up having to type it all up again

Oh and I also answered 2 questions and they did not even save on the site although I had asked it to do so

So a good idea to have a copy of it yourself anyway

My advice is DO IT NOW

Angel xxx

Pudding Girl
26-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I agree with Angel.

If your forms are anything like ours ( about 25 ppoints to answer in full with some repetition and having to go into LOTS of detail) then it takes time. I had 4 weeks notice to do mine and could have done with longer.

As soon as it's up there online now I will do a little each week and hopefully do a better job on it as there are many things I could have referred to but forgot about

Willowdancer
26-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Not yet but I will - got my code in the post yesterday but haven't had a chance to log in yet.

Can you save it as you go and do a bit at a time or do you have to sit for hours on end and hope your computer doesn't crash in the middle of it etc?

sparkibobs
26-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd done bits of it on my paper copy when I was inspected 9/09/2008 and they were happy with this, as it had only just come into play. I've been online and started to fill it in now
x

happytotschildminding
26-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I have completed mine, even though I'm not due an inspection (or are we all "back in the pot"?), and I wouldn't like to think I had to do it in a rush as its very time consuming. Will continue updating it as and when.
Carol

youarewhatyoueat
26-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I have completed mine, even though I'm not due an inspection (or are we all "back in the pot"?), and I wouldn't like to think I had to do it in a rush as its very time consuming. Will continue updating it as and when.
Carol

I was one of the last to be inspected under the old standards and my inspector warned me that I could expect to be inspected again BEFORE the 3 years was up!!!!

Been meaning to start my sef along with just starting my nvq3 this week and wondering when i'm going to get all this work done,I was up to 3.30 this morning.Going on training all day saturday,got 4 kids of my own,I mind 2 1 year olds and am just starting learning journals for them.What am I doing!!!!!

Ripeberry
26-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Please can someone tell me if i can do my SEF before i have any mindees. Or can it ONLY be done when you have some? I just want to do the first two parts about my setting and safety, but although they've given me a security token i won't let me in as i've told them i'm not minding at the moment.
So frustrating! :mad:

angeldelight
26-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Not yet but I will - got my code in the post yesterday but haven't had a chance to log in yet.

Can you save it as you go and do a bit at a time or do you have to sit for hours on end and hope your computer doesn't crash in the middle of it etc?

I found it best to complete one question then save it before going on to the next

But I always logged out and went back to check it was still there

I lost 2 questions previous that it did not save so best to check it does

Angel xx

Chatterbox Childcare
26-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I found it best to complete one question then save it before going on to the next

Angel xx

I did all mine in word and then I could play around with it, then I copied and pasted into the SEF.

sue
26-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I did all mine in word and then I could play around with it, then I copied and pasted into the SEF.

thats what l have done not yet tranfered to SEF, they were happy with the hard copy l printed when l was inspected earlier this month

LisaH
26-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I've nearly finished mine, it's taking flaming ages!! Not actually due an inspection till next year but you never know do you:)

Rubybubbles
26-03-2009, 09:21 PM
nope hahaha

I had my inspection in Nov, she was here for ages though, but didn't downgrade me for not doing it. I got goods and outstandings;) overrall good

I really should do it:rolleyes:

balloon
26-03-2009, 09:36 PM
No!

I told the inspector I hadn't done it yet when she phoned and told me she was coming. I said I'd try and get it done and she told me not to bother as long as she could see I was evaluating myself/my work in some way. I do this naturally but even so decided to do the SEF. I did 11 pages of drivel and then it wouldn't print so she didn't get to read it anyway, lol.

I didn't get downgraded either cos its not compulsory for childminders YET...(inspectors words not mine).

angeldelight
26-03-2009, 11:56 PM

Yes Debbie

If you read above I orginally did the same

But the option would not work for me and I called ofsted and they had disabled it so you could not copy and paste at that time

Angel xx

angeldelight
26-03-2009, 11:57 PM
I've nearly finished mine, it's taking flaming ages!! Not actually due an inspection till next year but you never know do you:)

yes it does take ages I agree

xx

Willowdancer
26-03-2009, 11:58 PM

Angel xx

Thanks Angel - I'll do that then :)

Mollymop
27-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Yes I did. I hadn't completed it when my inspector phoned - so she asked me to try and finish it and submit it before she came (about 5 days later)

SO I got it all done and submitted it.

I have been told by numerous people including my DO that if you complete one it shortens your inspection. Yeah right! My inspection was still 3.5 hours long.

huggableshelly
27-03-2009, 07:36 AM
mines done and plan to go back to it in sept but looks like I'll be going back to it sooner as managed to improve quite a bit and done more training too.

I'm actually really pleased with myself right now, I've got alot more learning to do and still need to improve a few things but they are costly things so on my dream list for now.

miss muffit
27-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks like i had better open the envelope and get cracking :idea:

buildingblocks
30-03-2009, 04:28 PM
hubby and I are due to be inspected this summer (I think) so mine is on the list ofthings to do along with re reading Sarahs SEF book before I do it. Hubby may or may not do his but he isn't working as such a a minder so isn't troo worried about his grading. I awant to keep my Good

christine e
30-03-2009, 05:46 PM
haven't done mine yet but know i am due an inspection any day
so i know i should but just cba

Oh Mandy I would seriously suggest you get on with it if you are due an inspection soon.

Cx

nell57
30-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes I completed mine before my inspection in Jan. But she never commented on it once, except to say she had received it. She was here just over 2 & half hours but I didn't realise until after she'd gone she hadn't mentioned anything about what I'd wrote in it.

Megan
30-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Once Ofsted have imformed your that your inspection is pending then a block in put on your SEF and you cannot go onto the website and submit, therefore I would suggest that it should be ongoing and a hard copy kept.

angeldelight
30-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes I completed mine before my inspection in Jan. But she never commented on it once, except to say she had received it. She was here just over 2 & half hours but I didn't realise until after she'd gone she hadn't mentioned anything about what I'd wrote in it.

Maybe she was watching though to see if you backed up what you said you did ? With out you realising it ?

Angel xx

nell57
30-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Maybe she was watching though to see if you backed up what you said you did ? With out you realising it ?

Angel xx

Think you're right, 2 & half hours was a probably a quickish inspection as well, compared to some, so my sef may have helped shorten the time she was here, if that is the aim of them.;)

angeldelight
30-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Think you're right, 2 & half hours was a probably a quickish inspection as well, compared to some, so my sef may have helped shorten the time she was here, if that is the aim of them.;)

Hope mine is that quick but hubby said I will talk them to death haha

Angel xx

Eileen322
30-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes I completed mine online. I thought the system wasnt that good as I kept accidentally deleting the blooming thing:angry: It took me about 20hours to complete overall:eek: The inspector really liked it and although my inspection took 3.5hours, it helped that she didnt ask loads of question!:clapping: and could see i was implementing what I wrote! My advice is do it!

E x

nell57
30-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Hope mine is that quick but hubby said I will talk them to death haha

Angel xx

:laughing:

I think I probably kept her here longer by talking. The Los had both gone sleep and she was a bit of adult company for me to talk to, yes even though she was mrs ofsted:o So she may have been even quicker.

btw something even more funny, she ripped the wing mirror of her car as she was reversing out of my drive, so that kept her even longer:D

miss muffit
30-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Well i opened the envelope today :eek: and answered question 1 thought if i

do one every week, i might even be finished before my inspection

Thank you to all who voted :)

angeldelight
30-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Well i opened the envelope today :eek: and answered question 1 thought if i

do one every week, i might even be finished before my inspection

Thank you to all who voted :)

Well done

Angel xx

Ellen
30-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi
inspector asked if i could complete SEF i said i would try. I did a little on paper not alot. The inspector was happy she was only with me 2 hours but 30 mins she was talking about cross stitch. i got a good, didn't think that was bad for the first one.

Ellen x

huggableshelly
31-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi
inspector asked if i could complete SEF i said i would try. I did a little on paper not alot. The inspector was happy she was only with me 2 hours but 30 mins she was talking about cross stitch. i got a good, didn't think that was bad for the first one.

Ellen x

yay another cross stitch fan, I hope I get a nice inspector lol

hectors house
31-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I half did mine and put dots in the bits I hadn't finished so it would let me submit it - as I had so many problems filling it in -

must have taken at least 20 hours to do half of it as people have said already when I tried it wouldn't let me copy and paste from word, if I spent too long typing in one answer the page timed out without saving it.

I had great delight in completing the on-line questionnaire about the SEF when I submitted it - I graded it poor in every area.

I am not dyslexic (I just can't spell) but the font they used was hard to read at 10 pm - it was a pain not being able to see everything you had typed in a box - as the box had to be scrolled up and down and because you couldn't copy and paste from word you couldn't spell check it.

I have heard of people who have been marked down because they haven't completed it at all - although my inspector yesterday did say it wasn't yet compulsory.

Although I only had my inspection yesterday I think I will still add to it each month and try to keep up to date with paperwork better, keep the house tidy and not eat the kids easter eggs this year - yeah not going happen!