PDA

View Full Version : I am a bad childminding :(

Bex1
25-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok so last week I was due to start minding a 15 month old but my DD went down with gastrointeritus, which was so bad we were admitted to hospital twice and she has only just got back to her normal self and eating well yesterday so that is 7 days she has been poorly for (she is 19 months). I therefore had to cancel the minding last week! So this week what has happened yes I have gone down with it and although vomitting stopped in last 12 hours, I am still feeling dodgy, sick and very very weak so I have had to cancel again! I cant believe this has happened and I feel so so so so so so so so terrible for letting the poor mum down again!

The Doc's last week said I had to avoid contact with people for 48 hours after last bout of sickness so I am going by their words and also, importantly, adhering to my sickness policy! I did explain to the mum how bad my baby girl was and that I would hate and never forgive myself if her little boy caught it because, the Doc's reckon, as its a nasty airbourne virus, my DD probably caught it from toddler group she attended in the morning - she went down with it in the afternoon!

I feel like the worst person in the world :( :( :(

Pipsqueak
25-03-2009, 03:26 PM
These things happen and cannot be avoided - this does NOT make you a bad person or bad childminder. You would be a naughty childminder for minding when you are ill.

the only thing you can do is what you have done - apologise to the parents and explain. you have done this once, no need to do it again.

it might be worth trying to get yourself a back up minder who you could perhaps farm the children out too when you cannot mind yourself?

Don't beat yourself up over it - somethings just happen.

Bex1
25-03-2009, 03:30 PM
thank you, you've cheered a poorly childminder up a bit :blush: I am lucky in that she has her parents to fall back on so did say to me this morning when I spoke to her that she could ask them to have her son! I just think this is a bad way to get off the mark with childminding. Me and my DD have never been this poorly before and it goes and happens when I am starting childminding...why didnt it happen a month ago!!!!!!

How do I get a back up childminder? The only childminder I know lives 15 miles away :blush:

Pipsqueak
25-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Murphys Law hun:rolleyes:

could have been worse - could have puked over her - now that would have been bad. :D sounds like an understanding parent though

Are there any minders nearer to you? You will soon get to be friends with others and you can arrange that way. Or speak to your CDO who may be able to point you in the right direction.
I have two back up minders - they take the children for me if I am on hols/sick - depending on their spaces - they do a temp contract, take the kids on at the rates I have set etc

Demonjill
25-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Aww thats no good when you are ill but we all are at some point only human after all. Sounds like mum is understanding about it all though.:)

katickles
25-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like the mum has taken it well which is nice.

Don't beat yourself up about it, mum would be really not happy if her lo was to have cought it from you. You have done the right thing, not a bad minder at all.

Hope you & your lo are better soon x x

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/29/2914/291450.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Alibali
25-03-2009, 06:28 PM
What bad timing:( I'm sure Mum'll understand. Hope you get well soon

huggableshelly
25-03-2009, 06:57 PM
no you are not, a badchildminder would continue to have children and spread the germs further.

Get well soon xxx