PDA

View Full Version : Big "Firsts" and observations

Sadie's Mum
25-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I know most childminders never have babies 'Firsts' happen when they are with them ;) ;)

But just wondered what you do now when obviously you need to make observations on these things! The reason I ask is a year old baby that we look after has just now taken her first couple of steps unaided between me and my husband. I don't really want to tell her Mum as I would hate to have missed something like that if it was my child but if we do an observation for it then obviously Mum will see the date in her learning journal and could pick up on it.

Should we wait until she has done it with Mum and then do an observation? What would you do?

huggableshelly
25-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I would note it down for yourself and inform mum that you think baby might be close to taking steps

hopefully tomorrow she will report back that baby took first steps at home.

huggableshelly
25-03-2009, 01:08 PM
oh and umm date the obs to be after mom has spotted it if you can, i know its fiddling a little but would be great for mum to think she saw it first.

Alibali
25-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Definately let Mum tell you first, then do your observation the next day. I don't think the dates have to be completely accurate for the sake of a day or two (or in the case of one of my mindees 3 weeks by the time mum found the first tooth that was 'nearly through'!)

Sadie's Mum
26-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone! You just confirmed exactly what I was thinking and what I was going to do but just wanted to check it was the right thing to do before I did it!!

Well her Mum didn't say anything this morning when she dropped her off so I'm guessing she didn't do it for Mum yesterday evening or this morning!