PDA

View Full Version : Re: Inspections length of time taken

crazybones
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I have noticed people on here saying their inspector was at their home for 4+ hours and I just wonder what happens if you have to leave for school or nursery pickup/drop off. I am only back from am school run for 2 1/2 hours when I have a nursery drop off leaving at 12.15 and back by 12.45, then off again at 2.50 for school again. This leaves me a max of 3 hours at home at any one time. Do I just say "Get your coat love" (and your brolly, wellies etc)? Has this ever happend to anyone and what was the outcome? Thanks.

Annie x

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 07:58 PM
hehe get your coat love would be a good one! hehehe!!! I am unsure on how to respond as I havnt had my inspection yet!! xx

deeb66
05-02-2008, 07:59 PM
This has happened to me in the past.

When I left the inspector went and sat in her car and waited for me to come back and then carried on with inspection!

sarah707
05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Annie you have made me laugh!

I managed to have an inspection during the holidays :rolleyes: so I just had a house full of teenagers loitering around, asking for food and tripping her up!

I think like Dee says they'd go and sit in the car - they're not supposed to get in your way, so you should always be able to carry on with your normal routine. :D

mum2two
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
My first inspection lasted just 45 mins!! I had a whole folder of policies, etc, so she said there was nothing she really needed to ask me as it was all written down! She just observed whilst looking through my stuff. :thumbsup: I think the only thing she asked was where my First aid box was.

After 45 mins she said she was all done & could give me my feedback. I got 4 good's and an outstanding for safety. The only think that let me down was I wasn't really doing any work towards BTTM (only because I knew EYFS was coming in, so didn't see the point of starting with BTTM...) :blush:

So, just to say, you never know. Everyone had told me 3+ hours, and I was nowhere near!

Kelly x

LittleMissSparkles
05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Oh I hope that who ever comes to inspect me doesnt stay long.....

crazybones
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
45 mins sounds perfect to me. I might manage to hold off one of Williams tantrums that long. I just know one of my own will show me up. The 2 mindees are usually perfect if there is a visitor in the house but Will seems to have a terrible 2 switch. Think I will start on the rescue remedy now in preparation for be calm and unflappable. Thank you ladies for your replies.

Annie x

sarah707
05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I find Kalms a great help! :p

And don't worry about the tantrums! She will want to see how you are dealing with it, she won't be at all concerned about it happening :D

manjay
05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I find Kalms a great help! :p

:D

I didn't think you could give non prescribed medication to the children!! ;)

amanda xx

sarah707
05-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I didn't think you could give non prescribed medication to the children!! ;) amanda xx

Ah but she's talking about her own son... she can give him what she likes... ! :p

:laughing:

crazybones
05-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I didn't think you could give non prescribed medication to the children!! ;)

amanda xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Annie x

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
hehe rescue remedy is brill (for me of course!) I used it on my wedding day, not one nerve showed up!! hehe!! I am not sure I would only like them to be there for 45 mins! I might think that they were sooo disgusted they couldnt wait to leave! but at least it was over and done with, the inspector probably had to get the tea on the table.....!!! I am prepared for mine, or getting close to being prepared! I am glad they will just let you get on with your normal routine tho!! x x

Rubybubbles
05-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Mine lasted for about 1 1/2 then she came back the next day for 1 hour as she came whilst all the children were asleep and couldn't observe me with the kids, needless to say I had great plans for the next day:D

This was in Dec 05 though

ajs
05-02-2008, 10:10 PM
i had to do a nursery pick up and she said she'd seena ll she needed to after 50 minutes, which was fantastic but she had been the inspector who had inspected me the year previous when i'd had a complaint made so she knew what my setting was like and had looked through all my policies and procedures then

buildingblocks
06-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I have known inspectors go on the school run with minders (can't see mine liking that as it is 20 mins one way lol). Others have sat in car until minders get back.

interestingly enough this came up at the forum on Saturday. As accredited CM's inspections can take anything up to 5/6 hours as they are also inspected on education and they seem to think under the new inspections for EYFS that care inspections which on average are 2 hours will go to being 5 hours long

I can hardly wait

ajs
06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
i would suggest to her that she waits in her own car
i certainly wouldn't want her coming with me to school

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM
ooo bring on day inspections, like we havnt got enough to do huh?!!

avril
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
when rang to make the appointment I told her I was back from school drop off 9.15 and back out to nursery 12.15 God love her she managed to squash the inspection into that time what a lovely lady hey!?:clapping:

Avril :laughing:

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
aw that is nice, I hope I get someone lovely like that!! x x

Banana
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
My inspection lasted 1hour 45 minutes. I had everything ready and accesable for her to look at and she said this helped.

I think some inspectors enjoy taking their merry old time waiting for something to happen lol.... so they can mark you down - others I think are just lonely and enjoy a natter :D

Thats my reasoning behind it anyway - 4 hours... what on earth do they do. I know al lot of you have had inspections that last this long - they'd start getting on my nerves after a while hee hee - just tell them 'im bored now can you go' lol

xxx

lizzymoonshine
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh all this talk of inspections is making me nervous. I was physically shaking when the inspector turned up at my house! i couldn't open the door!

My inspection (back in 05) was 2 and a half hours, had to kick her out to go to school! she was very nice but did feel i was being interrogated!

One of the childminders i know has just had her inspection and she was there for five hours! i think i would cry!

:eek: