PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy climbing frame - advice needed please!

Miriam
24-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi

I have an old slightly rusty climbing frame in my garden, which my children love. It is on a barked and grassed area, but NEXT TO a concrete path, so theoretically if a child fell off they could land on the concrete path (OPPS!). My own children are 6 and 8 years and they LOVE it! But I don't think there is any way it is going to pass an ofsted inspection - firstly because it is quite old and rusty and the screws that hold it together are on the outside (built like that and cannot be changed), so although I could repaint it and get the rust off I would still have problems of screws, and secondly because of where it is - and there really isnt anywhere else in the garden to move it too.

So what should I do? Is it ok to leave it until my pre-reg visit and see what the inspector says and what she/he suggests, and just say that I have my own concerns about it, or should I remove it before hand. Me and hubby are quite keen to get rid of it but problem is that my 8 year old loves to play on it and when we mentioned that ofsted may not be so keen, she was really upset!

Thanks for any advice.

Miriam

huggableshelly
24-03-2009, 01:40 PM
if is feesable to freecycle and replace with a safer one?

safety wise you can buy large outdoor safety mats to put on the concrete, it wont fully protect the children but will help with a softer landing.

I've no idea if you can get a rust treatment and then repaint but my opinion is you have concerns about it so pre-reg will too.

Miriam
24-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I really think it would be best to get rid of it now, as I don't want to seem under prepared for Ofsted, but my hubby thinks I should just wait and see what they say?

We also have a large trampoline with a safety net surrounding it which is safe, and I will have a large play equipment policy in place, but I have heard the Ofsted arent keen on those either, and I just don't want them to say that the garden is unsafe? So should I just get rid of the climbing frame at the risk of upsetting my children (who will get over the trauma! - I just feel a bit mean!)

huggableshelly
24-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I would get rid of it on the understanding that a new one will replace it.

if you cant get rid of it then look at how you will prevent minded children from using it until you can replace it .... i'm not an expert and i cant see it so cant tell you what to do for definate.

I have a trampoline with permission forms for usage though not been inspected since having it, hopefully someone else can advise you there.

my daughter age 8 wanted a swing for the garden we compromised and bought a swing boat that allows reins to be attatched and I can sit on it too with a younger mindee.

your other option is to have your pre-reg tell the inspector that you plan to update it if you are accepted as a cm as you are aware of the dangers .. going with your hubbys ideas

i just know if it was me (i'm wasteful with money) i would have it gone before the inspection.

FussyElmo
24-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi I was inspected with my trampoline in the garden - my inspector said it was fine as long as I got parental permission and I had done risk assessments etc not having more than one child on etc - she did said if I hadnt got the safety enclosure round then it may have been more of an issue. Hope this helps.

huggableshelly
24-03-2009, 04:01 PM
cool ty tina

i think i might need to change mine as i allow 2 little ones on at a time but i'm on there with them

after schoolies are one at a time.

Lick'le Oakes
24-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi I was inspected with my trampoline in the garden - my inspector said it was fine as long as I got parental permission and I had done risk assessments etc not having more than one child on etc - she did said if I hadnt got the safety enclosure round then it may have been more of an issue. Hope this helps.

This was the same for me as well. Also i have a climbing frame and double swings but the Ofsted lady said again needed permission, policy etc.

As for it being old i would personnally wait for your pre reg as they come to give you advice and as long as you risk assess it and show your concerns they will be pleased with that and either tell you to get rid or not. You can explain your children like it and when you are earning you will look into getting a newer model.

Miriam
24-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the advice

My husband thinks that we should keep it and see what they say, so that is what we will probably do. Just was a bit worried that the inspector might think I was crazy even to suggest it is suitable for children (it is definitely not suitable for under 5's! so at the very least she is probably going to say I need to fence it off). :(