PDA

View Full Version : separate towels

Lincsminder
05-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Do you have seperate towels for each child in your care to dry their hands on? If so how do you keep them in a small downstairs loo? A friend had her inspection today ( I have showed her this forum but don't think she has joined yet) and the inspector said she needed a hand drying towel for each child, she has 6 under 5s on her books at the moment and I think 5 of them are under 2, so dont actully take themselves off to the loo to wash their own hands. And if you do have different towels how do you get the children to use them, I am sure they would still just grab the nearest one to them.

sarah707
05-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a big pile of face flannels - the really cheap ones from Poundstretcher... about 30 of the things...

I have trained the children - take one, use it, put it in the basket under the sink...

It didn't take them long to get the hang of it and apart from the odd child who takes 2, they're all really good.

Ofsted were really pleased with this... I also have a paper towel dispenser, but I keep forgetting to order them! :D

tulip0803
05-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I gave each child a different coloured towel and embroidered their names on them. I bought a small hook rack attached a loop to each towel to hang from. With much vigilence and reminding the children soon knew which was their towel.:)

Schnakes
05-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I have seperate towels and face cloths for the children.. I just drill it into them which one they get to use...but play it the other way like..."this is your special towel...only you can use it...you musnt use anyone elses because this is YOUR special towel etc!!!

I have a rail underneath my basin that I hang the childrens towels on, and a towel on the bathroom rail for the family to use. I know that might not always be practical (or attractive!!!) but cant think...um...I was thinking maybe a washing line type thing but that could be a strangulation risk?? I dont know! Six is a lot at one time! :eek:

Sx

deeb66
05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
My towels and flannels are colour coded.

Each child has their own colour and I teach them their colour so that they know which one is theirs. e.g. 'A' has blue and 'G' has burgandy.

If she has a small downstairs loo she may be better in investing in a paper towel dispenser.

To be honest if I had a seperate loo I would use one....the only reson I use towels is that I only have one bathroom/toilet.

deeb66
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Loads of different ideas there.....we all posted around the same sort of time :D

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
having children take one flanel use it and then put it in another basket is a GREAT idea!! x

Twinkles
05-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I have a big pile of face flannels - the really cheap ones from Poundstretcher... about 30 of the things...

I have trained the children - take one, use it, put it in the basket under the sink...

It didn't take them long to get the hang of it and apart from the odd child who takes 2, they're all really good.

Ofsted were really pleased with this... I also have a paper towel dispenser, but I keep forgetting to order them! :D

I do the same as sarah. I got mine from ikea...I love ikea:jump for joy:
I think they're probably more environmentally friendly than the paper ones.

crazybones
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I had a hand dryer fitted for the older ones, which has been a godsend because with part-timers and my own 3, at one stage I had 9 towels all over the floor of downstairs loo, wet and dangerous. The 3 little ones have a different coloured towel each but only the 4 yr old understands that is his yet but the other 2 are learning.

Annie x

nannysue
05-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I use paper towels which the children put into a waste bin, my inspector was quite happy with this method. the cash & carry do a huge box which lasts for absolutly ages. Sue x

Tily Bud
05-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I use the blue disposable paper towels, I bought them off ebay for £15 for loads ! myself and another childminder went halves x

I also use a little tip i got off the forum - I keep the paper towels in a plastic food tub covered with lots of fishy stickers and keep this on the bathroom window sill x

Cheap and ofsted loved it xx

Rubybubbles
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I do the same as sarah. I got mine from ikea...I love ikea:jump for joy:
I think they're probably more environmentally friendly than the paper ones.

I love ikea too:D

Rubybubbles
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I always run out of towels, some good ideas there thankyou

manjay
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
I too use cheapy value flannels from tesco. It works fab except for one mindee who forgets to put them in the basket and puts them in the bin instead!!

amanda xx

LittleMissSparkles
05-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I have towels in the loo but will get some flannels as think thats fab idea Sarah xxx

berkschick
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I use paper towels too

Cammie Doodle
05-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I use flannels from Ikea all have coloured tabs to hang them up. I think its a pack of 10 or 12 and you get 2 of each colour. My kids love the fact they have their own colour coded towel , they caught on very quickly. In fact it started a debate on who was having what colour, the older one helping the younger ones choose. Thinking about it I should of written up an observation on that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: For Ofsted

berkschick
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I like the colour coded idea :)

I only have 1 mindee for 6 hours a week that uses the toilet so the paper towels suit me better at the moment but if I get more I would re-consider!

button68
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM

I do this too :D I bought a load of plain white "Smart Price" ones from Asda :thumbsup:

katickles
05-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I got a really colourful coat hook, got loads of small carrier bags (not that they can fit the heads in :laughing: ) Then inside i have a face cloth & hand towel (Tescos). I explained at my inspection that as children start, we will decorate their own little bag & then they will know who's is whos.

The lady that did my inspection seemed pleased with it.

:)

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I have the ikea coloured tabs teatowels too!! just reminded me to get some more !! I love Ikea too!! or Ikaya as my niece says hehe! At the moment I have them in their own baskets but I was wondering how I go about the dirty ones and clean ones, but I am gunna invest in 2 baskets on the draining board and have yellow for clean and red for dirty! think this is a good idea?!! x

Angela234
05-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I use kitchen roll and fixed up a kitchen roll holder kids can help themselves and put them in the bin Ofsted was happy with this. I like the idea of a pile of flannels but i would go through loads in a day and drying them could be a nightmare

Angela

Pipsqueak
05-02-2008, 09:44 PM
All your kids wash their hands????:eek:
:laughing:
Oh sorry, I am wrong thats just my kids who are allergic to water (apart from my youngest who is quite into flooding the bathroom at the moment bless him).

Yes I have seperate towels and flannels, on their own hangers/hooks

Rubybubbles
05-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh sorry, I am wrong thats just my kids who are allergic to water (apart from my youngest who is quite into flooding the bathroom at the moment bless him).

HAHA I still have to remind my ds nearly 6!! Don't forget, and he puts on this moaning voice to wash my hands, uhhh lifes so hard:laughing:

Twinkles
05-02-2008, 10:35 PM

Oh Yes, they know their childminder and her spot checks on hands ( if it doesn't smell of soap it isn't clean ) neurotic about germs ?...me?

ajs
05-02-2008, 10:49 PM
i have an ikea 5 hook hanger really small although i haven't organised the flannels yet but i have decided that i will put a passport sized photo above each hook and hope that encourages the kids not to use anyone but their own

in my last inspection she asked how i prevent cross contamination
i explained that we used anti bac soap and i washed the towel every night (cough cough) she seemed pleased with that

jo hawkins
05-02-2008, 11:24 PM
i said that but the children i look after are 8, 9 18, 19 n 20 months. theya re all still in nappies so i dont see why i need different towels for them when i have to do it for them

Jo

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 06:22 AM
wow go you for having all of those littlies! very brave!! hehe x x

chubbymummy
06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
in my last inspection she asked how i prevent cross contamination
i explained that we used anti bac soap and i washed the towel every night (cough cough) she seemed pleased with that

i said that too but inspector said that they all needed separate towels so i bought a load of cheap flannels to use in different colours for each child

Banana
06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Yes,

i use seperate towels for all the children. They all have a named hook with thier towel hanging on it

x

Mollymop
06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I am going to buy a paper towel dispensor for after going to the loo.
And if the kiddies need to be washed due to messy play, etc, I am going to fit shelves with a towel on each and a name on the tag.

bestmum2have
06-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I go through 600 flannels a day, use one and then straight in the wash.
Its alot of washing but it works well with under 3s.

merry
06-02-2008, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=bestmum2have;46869]I go through 600 flannels a day.
QUOTE]

600 a day!!!!!! How on earth do you manage that?

manjay
06-02-2008, 07:05 PM
i said that but the children i look after are 8, 9 18, 19 n 20 months. theya re all still in nappies so i dont see why i need different towels for them when i have to do it for them

Jo

My 20 mth old ds always washes his hands after a nappy change. He sees me do and wants to copy. A good habit to get him into I reckon

amanda xx

buildingblocks
06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
If you had i ndividual towels for each child I would say either differnet coloured towels or hooks with childs pic above them. I personally use Ikea white flannels they use one for washing, one for drying, into the flannel bin and then into a boil wash much easier as I would never remember which coloured towel was which

Pauline
06-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I use paper towels too, just cheapest kitchen rolls 6 rolls for about a £1, tear off a small pile and keep topping it up from the roll throughout the day, children then put the towels in a lidded, push pedal bin. Ofsted thought it was great.

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 09:36 PM
pauline this is a great idea!!! I was thinking about something like this for the bathroom.....! I am inspired!! xx

Lincsminder
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
So in one way we are teaching the children about protecting the environment and recycling then we are saying its ok to dry hands on a paper towel which is then thrown away. I just don't get this, they have washed their hands and they are clean so why have so many throw away things to dry them on. Especially when the same children then go and share a drink, hold hands, put the same toy in mouth, touch the same door handle or give sloppy kisses. I have a pile of flannels for washing faces and hands after dinner but thats it. I thought we were supposed to be a home environment and putting up paper towel dispensers takes that away.

Tiisku
07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I have put up hooks above sink- those that you just stick to the wall- and am about to allocate a hook per child with their picture above. I also have a towel ring for a larger guest towel. I don't like paper towels either, I agree we are supposed to save those trees and use washable towels.. :D Will I get samrty points for this at my first inspection next month ??:p :p I am also creeping up by composting. And we have a bird house in the garden and bird/squirrel feeders. creep creep creep. :D

Rubybubbles
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
So in one way we are teaching the children about protecting the environment and recycling then we are saying its ok to dry hands on a paper towel which is then thrown away. I just don't get this, they have washed their hands and they are clean so why have so many throw away things to dry them on. Especially when the same children then go and share a drink, hold hands, put the same toy in mouth, touch the same door handle or give sloppy kisses. I have a pile of flannels for washing faces and hands after dinner but thats it. I thought we were supposed to be a home environment and putting up paper towel dispensers takes that away.

the if paper towel were just wet, could you not put them throught the recycling? Justa thought

Mollymop
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM

You can still recycle paper towels, I have a brown wheely bin for paper, food, etc.

I think paper towels are a lot less hassle than having to keep sorting and washing hand towels, I am lazy like that, you see:D

Plus don't forget you will create more carbon emissions using your washing machine to wash all the towels and dry them than it would to recycle paper towels or kitchen roll.

Me thinks paper towels are best for the environment:D :thumbsup:

buildingblocks
07-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Will I get samrty points for this at my first inspection next month ??:p :p I am also creeping up by composting. And we have a bird house in the garden and bird/squirrel feeders. creep creep creep. :D

As always depends on your inspector I guess. mine couldn't have cared less

miffy
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
I use the small flannels with different coloured tabs from Ikea - you do need a lot but it works

I take the ordinary towel out of my cloakroom when the mindees are here so they have to use the flannels

I keep kitchen paper as a back up in case we do run out of flannels

The mindees soon got used to the idea

Miffy xx

Sandie
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I use kitchen roll or paper towels and they go straight into the bin and when the bin gets emptied straight into the recycle bin. No washing no waste also try to buy recycled kitchen roll and paper towels but sometimes can be a bit expensive.

~Sandie~

Tiisku
07-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Good points about recycling. As my 3-year-ols son has learnt to quote Bob: Reduce, reuse, recycle ! :D

I think I will be a copycat and use paper towels( saving trees :D ) but will keep kitchen roll as a back-up. Oh I love this forum ! Anyone here acutally have time to look after the kids ?! ( Mine are winding their dad up downstaris at the mo) xxx

mamapink
07-02-2008, 11:18 PM
I use paper towels too, just cheapest kitchen rolls 6 rolls for about a £1, tear off a small pile and keep topping it up from the roll throughout the day, children then put the towels in a lidded, push pedal bin. Ofsted thought it was great.

what a good idea i do this when i start minding
pink:o

JO S
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I've got some little hooks from Ikea in my downstairs loo. each of the kids have got their own colour coded towel and face cloth which in on their own peg with their name and photo on it.

Jo. x