PDA

View Full Version : What do you do about doctors appointments?

louised
24-03-2009, 10:23 AM
What do you do with mindees when you have a doctors appointment? I desperately need to see my doctor and her only available appointments this week are during the day, it really has to be my own doctor I see and I need to see her ASAP as i am always putting off going as i'm so busy. If I get parental permission can I leave them with my hubby who is one of my emergency carers?

Toothfairy
24-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I try to go when I don't have Mindees but this isnt always possible. If I need to go when working, I ask Parental permission and take them with me, going to the doctors is a part of everyday living. I keep them in the double buggy while in the surgery and give them a book or toy to keep them occupied so that I can concentrate on myself.

Ive never had a parent make a fuss over taking them with me.

louised
24-03-2009, 11:13 AM
It's not appropriate to take them with me as the reason I need to see the doctor is quite personal.

Mouse
24-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't think you'd be able to leave them at home with your husband, as it's not an emergency. At a push, could he go with you & wait with them while you see the Dr? Or what about leaving them with another minder for a short while? Obviously that would need all the usual permissions etc.

I have taken mindees with me when I had a smear done. I told parents why I was going & got permission. I took them through to the room with me, left them in the buggy with books & toys and turned the buggy backwards so they wouldn't see what was going on!

louised
24-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Both the mindees I have are 3 so don't go in a buggy anymore i can just imagine them if i took them with me peering round the curtain every minute. I don't see a problem with leaving them with my hubby as the surgery is 2 mins away so i'd be no more than 10 mins. I have previously left them in an emergency with him and it was for longer than 10 mins.

Mrs M
24-03-2009, 12:34 PM
You can't leave them with hubby if it's not an emergency no matter how close he is. Why not just book some time off for your appt? I have midwife appt in April and am just having afternoon off as even though it's fine for me to take mindees with me, I want that time for me.

LOOPYLISA
24-03-2009, 12:36 PM
I would defanatly book the time off, you say its a doc apt so its obviously important for you, you can.t always take them with you and im sure the parents should understand that x

huggableshelly
24-03-2009, 12:41 PM
The Dr's surgery helped me out when I needed a personal appointment. i had the children in the room with me but a nurse was there to keep them safe and prevent any curtain issues.

ask your surgery if they can assist by offering a nurse or someone from reception to sit in with you.

Remember the children will be out of sight but you can hear them.

louised
24-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I've made the appointment now for tomorrow, I don't want to take the mindees so hopefully the parents will understand and come and pick them up early, i'll get onto them now so they can make arrangements.

LOOPYLISA
24-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I've made the appointment now for tomorrow, I don't want to take the mindees so hopefully the parents will understand and come and pick them up early, i'll get onto them now so they can make arrangements.

I don.t blame you, good luck x :thumbsup:

Andrea08
24-03-2009, 01:08 PM
this s what we mean by minding gone mad ,,, what would we do if it was our own children if they too old to go with you then if parents are ok for 10/15 mins leave with hubby for lord s*** if we cana trust our family with mindees for just 10 mins then we in the wrong job.

we worrie too much about ofsted this and that we are doing a good job and work over 10 hrs a day so when do we get to do things we need to? we dont have an hr off for lunch and x2 20 min breaks!!

take the kids or leave with hubby if parents thought he was available and you made them come pick up early hey might be more upset? ask the parents,, its just why some of my friends gave up the job because of sill 10 min red tape ..

wendywu
24-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I take my mindees with me i think it helps them not to be concerned when they have to have ears and eyes checked at the doctors. They love watching me being prodded and having my blood pressure taken.:eek:

For my smear i get an evening appointment at the family planning

Bushpig
24-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't take kids to a smear test - my kids are too inquisitive and don't leave my side when we have gone to the docs before, plus it just wouldn't sit right for me tbh - far too personal... and yes, we have all gone before to the docs, for BP, getting prescriptions etc. Parents know and are fine with it.

Mrs M
24-03-2009, 04:26 PM
this s what we mean by minding gone mad ,,, what would we do if it was our own children if they too old to go with you then if parents are ok for 10/15 mins leave with hubby for lord s*** if we cana trust our family with mindees for just 10 mins then we in the wrong job.

we worrie too much about ofsted this and that we are doing a good job and work over 10 hrs a day so when do we get to do things we need to? we dont have an hr off for lunch and x2 20 min breaks!!

take the kids or leave with hubby if parents thought he was available and you made them come pick up early hey might be more upset? ask the parents,, its just why some of my friends gave up the job because of sill 10 min red tape ..

I think we're doing an amazing job looking after other people's children and there are many sacrifices we must make. We have to think about the safety of the children and I would never leave someone elses child in the care of anybody else (including my lovely hubby) just in case something happened whilst I was away. We are in a position of trust for which we have all trained hard to be in. Most things can be done at weekends, during the evening or in rare cases we have to take time off.

wendywu
24-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I have taken mine to the dentist as well and they love the vets.:)

Spangles
24-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Hope your appointment goes well and you don't have to take the mindees along.

x

mushpea
24-03-2009, 08:50 PM
just had this with my mindees and my sons appointments, he is being assesed for dysphraxia, adhd and other things and is possibly going to have speech therapy aswell (he's 8), he also visits the docs reguarly with astma and excema, I spoke to mum and explained this and she had no problem with me taking the kids along with me.
Have to take them with me in the hols to have an injection but its only one mindee who is 2 yrs old and will stand with my daughter looking the other way, i think as long as you make the parents aware of whats happening then give them the choice of wether they are happy for you to take the kids with you then theres no problem if there happy for you to take them.
if i had to take time off everytime my son had an appointment then i would hardly every work!!

Alibali
24-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I'd take hubbie and kids with you and leave them in the waiting room. That way they are out of your sight for as short a time as possible, and as long as the parents are happy with it I don't see it as a problem.

claireLouise
24-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I have permission from parents to leave their child with my husband while at the doctors. It's a sensible alternative to them needing time off work.:)

Claire

Mouse
24-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I was lead to believe that even if you have parental permission, you should not leave the minded children with an unregistered person (other than in an emergency).

We had a discussion about it at a meeting once & were told that just because we have parental permission, it doesn't make it OK. I don't think insurance would cover you & Ofsted would not approve.

wendywu
24-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I cannot see the problem with taking them with you. I used to take my own two with me when they were little, its part of family life.

And for more personal matters family planning clinics do evening appointments.:blush:

angeldelight
24-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I never take children with me I always book when I finish work or I have to book time off

I cant see a problem with it though I just like to go alone

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
24-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I never take children with me I always book when I finish work or I have to book time off

I cant see a problem with it though I just like to go alone

Angel xx

I agree :thumbsup:

buildingblocks
24-03-2009, 10:30 PM
This is why I got hubby registered. Seriously though before he was registered I had written permission from the parents to leave them in the waiting room which was the next room to where I was. SO it was literally a matter of a couple of minutes depending on what I was going for if I coulnd't make an appointment for when I wasn't working.