PDA

View Full Version : Started DHC then told I don't need to do it.

mandysmonkeys
23-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I completed unit 1 last year pre reg and was told soon all childminders would need this qualification. I did tell the tutor I have the NNEB Cache diploma in Nursery Nursing certificate and she said you will still need the dhc I thought thats ok I don't mind more training.

Well I go to the session and new tutor tells me that this course will be vertually the same as nneb but not as detailed as it just concentrates on the points most relevent to childminding.

Sure enough first session was complete da ja vu from my training 8 years ago. I am going to do it as local council have funded it for me and I eould have to pay them back £950 if I don't, but feel I should have looked in to this more and done a level 4 or foundation degree online insted as I am going to be spending quite a bit of my free time doing assignments and home etc for this course :-( feel a bit down about this really.

sarah707
23-03-2009, 06:22 PM
If you already have a level 3 qualification then there's little point in you doing the DHC to be honest.

It is a good course but all you end up with is a childminding level 3, not one that is portable to other jobs like the NVQ3 Early Years, Childcare and Education.

I would speak to your training centre and explain that the tutor says you are over qualified and recommends you change courses and see what they suggest regarding the funding :D

mandysmonkeys
25-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks Sarah, I'm going to talk to my DO next week in person, hopefully they will be able to pass the training over to someone else as I have only done one session.

The Juggler
18-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Sarah, I'm going to talk to my DO next week in person, hopefully they will be able to pass the training over to someone else as I have only done one session.

I agree. Definately would try transferring as you're only a week in. Sure the college will transfer you if you stay with them and LA should be happy to move your funding.

I would see if you can get straight on the Foundation Degree if that's what you want to do later. I went on it with my CCP (the old DHC) and lots of NNEB's on my course.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Allie
23-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Sorry you didn't get good advise before you started

Allie