PDA

View Full Version : When is a child class as a 5 year old?

Ludream
23-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I know this has probably been discussed thouroughly loads of times, but my little boy is due to start school full-time after Easter but won't be 5 until the end of August. When do I class him as a 5 year old? I have heard different opinions and need to know so that I know if I can take on new children or not?

Thanks for the help (in anticipation!):panic:

Polka Dots
23-03-2009, 12:23 PM
When a 4 year old attends school full time they're classed within the 5-8 age range freeing up an early years place. My daughter starts school full time in september and will turn 5 the following may. This is what the ofsted inspector put on my reg cert;

when caring for four or five-year-old children who are in full time education, may increase the number in the early years age group by the number of children in full time education, providing the maximum number is not exceeded (Early Years Register)

hth :)

sarah707
23-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes that's right!

You cannot mind another child without the certificate in place though so you need to give Ofsted a ring and get them to update it for you :D

amirose
23-03-2009, 12:42 PM
As above :thumbsup:

You must be pleased to hear that too :clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
23-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Good advice and what a result then with another under 5 space for you. Hope they change the certificate quickly as they seem to be taking forever at the moment

loocyloo
23-03-2009, 01:16 PM
fulltime school is classed as 10 sessions a week - so basically 9-3 each day !

you can then also class this child as an over 5 in the holidays.

x

TheBTeam
23-03-2009, 02:40 PM
the only thing that still seems a little unclear is what they mean by 10 sessions, but this be in a reception class, ie for rising 5's, or as some people have seemed to be advised for a child that attends nursery and preschool on the same day. I have a child who does this on the same premises who stays to their nursery/preschool lunch club, i personally didn't think he was classed as 5 for ratio purposes but have read on here that some people think it is okay?

sarah707
23-03-2009, 06:11 PM
The Ofsted wording is that the child must be at full time school... 10 sessions a week...

I have always taken that to mean reception class.

If you want something different or aren't sure I suggest an email to Ofsted - enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk with all the details :D