PDA

View Full Version : Birds nest

funtoplay
22-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has birds nesting in thier garden. I have robins which are nesting in my daughters cycle helmet. They started twice building a nest in mione but I had to evict them. It is hung up on a nail by my back door about shoulder height. I decided they really wanted that site so I found my daughters old hat and hung it up to see what happened within a day they were busy building a nest. Over a week I kept checking it since I could get it down without disturbing the nest and over 3 days we had a egg each day. My little ones loved having a look each day to see how many eggs there were. The after the 3 days we went to look and a robin flew out so we decided to leave it alone. The robins come and go, don't seem worried by small children running past the nest all day. Se we are now waiting to see if we get to see the babies!!

Its so exciting. I think I am turning into a bit of a bird fan. we also have a red kite which flies over our house most days. I get so excited!! Hope it rubs off on my children,

Julia

estrelas
22-03-2009, 05:02 PM
wow thats fab, bet the kids love it too.

I'd love to watch that, quite jealous!¬

Pedagog
22-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Only chickens and ducks.

But I do have Squirrels nest.

Carol
22-03-2009, 05:06 PM
We had blue tits make a nest in our garden trellis by our patio window two years ago. We loved watching them and could see the babies too. In the autumn it was lovely too to see the nest these two little birds made. Enoy xx

Carol

sonia ann
22-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Last year we had Dunnocks nesting in a conifer in the back garden and Gt tits in a nest box in one of the trees. They didn't seem bothered by the children but would just go quiet when they were near. I was able to lift the little ones up to see the babies when they hatched...they loved it.Then one day they just disappeared, hopefully just flew the nest. :) This year I think we have robins nesting in the ivy along a brick wall but we are in the middle of having a conservatory built and i'm worried they may be disturbed.:panic:

madasahatter
22-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I'd love to have birds nesting in my garden. My son made a couple of bird boxes at school which are still in the cellar at we haven't got a ladder to enable us to fix them to the side of the house. We only have one tree, which is quite a tall laylandii type fir which birds often go in but I don't think they nest there. Standing underneath you can look through the branches and there never looks to be anything to see. Unfortunately a neighbour runs a cat rescue charity from her home so there are lots of cats around us, which I personally am not too keen on as I am not a cat lover at all (infact I hate the things, which I know some of you will find awful).
I do have a couple of nests in a box in my loft which I bring out in spring to show the children, one is a blackbirds nest and the other we think is a sparrows nest. They came from my SIL's garden when they trimmed a really overgrown hedge (late in the year when any young had fledged).

happytotschildminding
22-03-2009, 05:18 PM
We have starlings in the eves ofthe porch - hubby locked the gap earlier in the year but looks like they found another way in! they make an awful mess with the droppings!!
Carol

amirose
22-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Thats so cool and very educational too :D

Shar
22-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I have robins, great tits and magpies that are all nesting in our garden. Even the cat's dont bother them. We have lots of bird feeders in the garden so they made a good choice!! The children love looking at the birds and watching them feed. In the summer when the baby birds fledge it's so exciting watching them follow mum & dad. :thumbsup:

Demonjill
22-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Thats great being able to watch it all happening and educational for the kids too.

I have 2 cockatiels( in the house ) and they lay eggs all the time but no daddy bird so no babies LOL:o

uf353432
22-03-2009, 08:24 PM
We have starlings in the eves ofthe porch - hubby locked the gap earlier in the year but looks like they found another way in! they make an awful mess with the droppings!!
Carol

we have the same problem, year after year we have birds nesting in the soffets and eaves of our house, same spot. It lovely in a way - but the droppings are a problem, and I also noticed they have eaten the flowers off my recently planted pansies! gits!

sue
22-03-2009, 09:50 PM
we have wood pigeons in trees behind us last few years they were in our loft!!!!! made alot of mess so has hole fill in and now they are happy in the trees (so am I) nearly every evening they will sit on the fence, they are huge!!!!!!!!

angeldelight
22-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has birds nesting in thier garden. I have robins which are nesting in my daughters cycle helmet. They started twice building a nest in mione but I had to evict them. It is hung up on a nail by my back door about shoulder height. I decided they really wanted that site so I found my daughters old hat and hung it up to see what happened within a day they were busy building a nest. Over a week I kept checking it since I could get it down without disturbing the nest and over 3 days we had a egg each day. My little ones loved having a look each day to see how many eggs there were. The after the 3 days we went to look and a robin flew out so we decided to leave it alone. The robins come and go, don't seem worried by small children running past the nest all day. Se we are now waiting to see if we get to see the babies!!

Its so exciting. I think I am turning into a bit of a bird fan. we also have a red kite which flies over our house most days. I get so excited!! Hope it rubs off on my children,

Julia

Thats lovely

We have robins in our garden they come and sit by the window and watch tv with us - seriously ha

Angel xx

sammy
22-03-2009, 10:16 PM
there is a robin nest over the road and its in a tree facing our house (so i consider it my nest - lol) anyway my naughty cat goes over there, and last year he stole 2 of the babys and killed them!! they have now had their babys again and im praying he wont get them.

We also had a piece of wood fall off the corner off our roof and we had a nest up there, only once though!