PDA

View Full Version : Where to keep door keys?

Willowdancer
22-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I am a bit confused - is it definitely a no-no to keep your door keys on a hook out of the reach of kids?

Just wondering as I was sitting here having another read through the info and examples on the fab Redcall memory stick I won in one of the competitions on here last year and in an example risk assessment it says:

"Keys required to be secured near external doors (hook above child reach)"

I don't really want to keep them on me as my keyring looks like we should be living in a high security prison with all the keys that are on it, but I don't really have anywhere in the porch that I can hide them either so I'm at a bit of a loss.

:huh:

Pedagog
22-03-2009, 02:57 PM
the Ofsted lady told me that on a hook near the door is acceptable, though obviously you must take into account the risk of them being within reach of burglars through the letter box.

From the fire safety point of view, they would normally prefer keys in locks (obviously not great from security and safety point of view), again on a hook is acceptable.

Do you have coat hooks in the hall, that would be acceptable.

Willowdancer
22-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Fab - in that case I will put in a hook in the porch that's away from the door and window, and out of the reach of the kids.

The other half put our coat hooks up and appears to have put them at his height (6'2"), rather than mine (5'-and-a-bit) so I have to really stretch up to reach them otherwise I'd definitely be able to keep the keys on one of those :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
22-03-2009, 03:33 PM
My front door has to be locked manually so the key is always in the door. I have an external door between the front door and my lounge and when the children are able to open this I bring the front door key and put it on a unit by the door.

sarah707
22-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Fire safety say a hook by the door but police and insurance usually disagree!!

If you are going to hang your keys near a door then please check with your insurance company first!

sonia ann
22-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I have a door chain that I use all the time .The little ones cant reach it and certainly wouldn't be able to undo it any way as it is fiddly

singlewiththree
22-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I keep mine on a hook by the door but they can't be seen through the door and are in an alcove bit so can't be got at through the letter box. Like Sarah said, its worth considering safety as well.

mummyroysof3
26-03-2009, 10:59 AM
i got round it by having a key cubourd near the front door but am unsure what to do for the back one at the moment, another key cuboard mabbe? lol

charlotte x