PDA

View Full Version : rhododendron

Blackhorse
21-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I have a rhododendron in the garden.
I know it is poisonous so I take it it will have to go in order for me to get my garden registered?

ajs
21-03-2009, 10:21 PM
i have a rhododendron in my garden
i have risk assessed and my policy states i do not leave the children unattended and i've never had a problem with it

Princess Sara
22-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Think of the pros and cos. Ok, it's poisionus, but what is the likelyhood of a child pulling the leaves off and eating them? And what about all the bee's and butterflies that they'll see because of the flowers it brings every year? And the insects, and if it's quite big like some I've seen, the shade it provides. And how many leaves would you have to eat to get a poorly belly? They are lovely and I would do everything I could to keep it.

rickysmiths
22-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Just risk assess it. You will be in the garden with the children anyway so there shoud be no problem. All you can do is be aware if you plant anything new.

I plant Sweet Peas every year, the grow quickly, they look pretty, they smell wonerful. They grow up the wall along the side of my patio and the children know they don't go near them. They way is also obstructed by the table and chairs.

Blackhorse
22-03-2009, 11:01 AM
great news as I love the rhododendron with it's lovely flowers each year.

I will risk assess it then and as the kids are supervised all the time anyway it should be ok.
It's just sometimes hard to know what you should do and if risk assessing is enough...

great to have this forum to find out all these things :clapping: :clapping: