mamapink
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
hello

I need some advice i am just starting the registration process at the moment
and was told at the pre reg meeting that it it ok if you have pets

I notice a few people on here mind and have dogs
but i just wondered what are the rules reguarding it

i have two dogs 4 years and 6 months

i have a large garden and we back on too woods so are walked regulary and go to work with hubby to be for the day on most days.

i have two girls myself
so not leaving kids with alone with dogs
hand washing
keeping garden clean and free of mess etc
is what i do anyway

the dogs are also only allowed in certain areas of the house ( not upstairs or living room) as they are out most of the day they tend to sleep when here

so any advice on what else i need to get ready for my pre reg check
also it for when the time comes does it greatly effect chance of mindies from the parents point of view
When i mentioned to people that i want to become a childminder some have said but you can not if you have a dog
if fact a couple of people i spoke to who are childminders have been slightly negative about me doing it in general .
It has knocked my confidence a bit

thanks any advice is warmly welcomed

bye
pink:o
xx

Banana
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
You just need to have a risk assesment in place regarding the dogs. How you will keep any dog mess clear from children, feeding bowls away from them and keeping the garden clean etc etc...

As long as Ofsted can see you have taken into account any potential hazards and how you will deal with them it should be fine

good luck

x

Twinkles
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
You must also reassure the ofsted inspector that your dogs are reularly wormed and de-flea'd.

mamapink
05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
hi banana

thanks that was a quite reply i was not even sure i had posted it
correctly
that has cheered me up will start a template for a policy

bye
xx

Twinkles
05-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Also don't let the negative comments bother you. I have a dog , three cats ,two rats , a rabbit and some fish oh yeah and about sixty stick insects!!! I always tell the parents when they first enquire that I have a dog and they can then make the choice of whether to come and see me. Most parents like the fact that we have animals - in fact it was a deciding fator for one of them.

sarah32
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I have 2 very large dogs, they stay in the kitchen/conservatory. They do no come into the room that I use for minding but the kids can stroke them through the gate. They do not have access to the back garden, the front garden is theres.

None of my parents minded and are not bothered, in fact they like it that I have pets as they dont and dont want there kids to be afraid of dogs. I did look after 2 little ones that really didnt like dogs, just let them go at there own pace and soon they were saying hello to them and stroking them.

I have a pets policy in place.

I dont think you have anything to worry about, you may get the odd parent that are a bit worried but just explain where they are kept.

sarah

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I have a very sweet but noisier than all my mindees put together Budgie called McGrady (husband named it??!!:eek: ) He is a lovely little thing and very tame but doesnt ever come up to the cage bars and try say hello or anything, he just sits and chatters to his little mirror! so he is perfect as he never is nosey or anything with the children and if they want to say hello to him he just looks at them and is very good!

I just provided ofsted with details of when he gets cleaned and also said I would hoover round his cage so no bird seed would be picked up by the children, also then I did a policy with all these things in in case parents want to know the ins and outs of things x x

angeldelight
05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I also have a permission form to allow the children to help feed the animals

It is good for them and teaches them about the care needed etc

Always with supervision of course

Angel xx

mamapink
05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
hi
thanks for all your replies lots of great advice
bye

xx

katickles
05-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I think that having pets can be a good thing. You can help teach the children the importance of caring for them, feeding, water, brushing, walking etc etc.

I have two cats, a heinz 57 (Polly) & a pedigree (coco), one just sleeps all day while the other is slightly mad! I think as long as you inform potential parents then the decision is theirs. You can't let the fact that you have pets worry you, most people have some sort of pet anyway.

:)

berkschick
05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I have cats and to be totally honest it has put one parent off but I have got 3 mindees now and have seen other potential parents who dont have a problem with it.

You might get the odd parent who doesnt like it but then another will be around the corner who is fine about it.

Dont worry, you will be fine!

Mollymop
05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Of course you can childmind and have dogs.

My inspector who came round on Friday didn't mention my dog much, she just made a fuss of him.

She did make a reference to - if she went round someones and they had 2 big rottweilers roaming the house, she would query it.

That's all she said apart from - have you got a pet policy?

Rubybubbles
05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Of course you can childmind and have dogs.

My inspector who came round on Friday didn't mention my dog much, she just made a fuss of him.

She did make a reference to - if she went round someones and they had 2 big rottweilers roaming the house, she would query it.

That's all she said apart from - have you got a pet policy?

my inspection states has family dog, who is very placid, sleeps and snores alot:D , she never asked me about the garden or anything:rolleyes:

sarah707
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I had to show my pet policy and risk assessment for my fish tanks and prove the lids were fastened down / food was out of sight and reach :D

Polly2
05-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I also have 2 dogs and never had any problems gettin mindees because of them.

The kids love the dogs.

Please don't be put off by negative comments

take care x

angeldelight
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree Holly

I have also got a dog and 2 rabbits no parents have ever questioned it

Good luck

Angel xx

Sandie
05-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi I have a dog and two rabbits, I have a pet policy in place and also a risk assesment.

The dog does not go in the area that the children play, but the mindies do help me look after the rabbits by helping clean them out and feed and groom them. It helps them to understand how to look after them.

Havn't had problems with inspections either. Ignore the negatives from the others and do what you want.

~Sandie~

mrsbumbles
05-02-2008, 04:40 PM

I have had no problems with having a dog, Ofsted like you to be able to show how you would keep children safe, and keep the areas clean. We have divided the garden, the dog also has an outdoor kennel, and a large indoor cage thats she has slept in since she was 7wks old, and feels safe in. For some parents having pets is a bonus, for others its a negative, ive had a set of parents that turned down my care purely because of my dog, but thats personal choice.

tulip0803
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I also have a bouncy dog although he is getting less so as he gets older:) .

I have had rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and hamsters over the years and I have not had a problem. I always tell people who enquire that I have a dog as some people are scared of them but I have had 2 families that specifically placed their children with me because they did not want the children to be scared of dogs.

He is the softest thing going and spends most of his time asleep upstairs. I state in my policies that I have a dog and all the other animals. I have a permission form for the parents to sign to stroke and touch the animals. The dog is never in the same room as the children, he is having his own area of the garden away from children. I have made up a form to state when he is wormed, de-flead, injected and checked over by the vet. I would normally walk him before and after childminding hours.

I find I have had more horrified looks from my son's rats than my dog - not a lot of people like them for some reason.

Julia

elaineg
06-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi, Ive got a dog, a mad kitten and two rabbits, the kids love them, and they love the attention.

love Elaine

Trouble
06-02-2008, 09:57 PM
2 of my children came here because i had pets they said it was homely and an natural enviroment i thought theyd hate it. when the guinea pig had her baby all the kids were late for school as they wouldnt leave it alone parents loved it, it was like the circus in here.:laughing: