PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox

vix84
21-03-2009, 05:12 PM
What are your policies for chicken pox?

My son is 9 months and I think we saw a little girl a few days before she came down with it.
He has a slight temperature sleepy and a rash - but this rash could be due to sun creme and change of bath product - he often gets this type of rash, it doesnt look like chicken pox yet.

But if he gets it, and is fine in hiself and the parents want to send their child in, or they have already had it, can i do this?
Im currently settling in a new one and would like to get him settled in etc otherwise I will have to face the tears all over again!

madasahatter
21-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Every time chicken pox has done the rounds I've asked the parent's of children who haven't had it if they mind me having the LO with chicken pox (as long as they are not poorly/feverish etc). Generally if the children have been in regular contact with each other it is too late by the time the spots come out anyway. So far all parents have said they don't mind and would like their child to catch it if possible (doesn't always happen though).
I have always made it clear to the parents of the child with chicken pox that if another parent said no then I would have to adhere to my sickness policy of child being excluded until spots had dried up.
If it is your little one with chicken pox I would give parents the option of not bringing their child (without charge so they can arrange alternative care), effectively treating it as if I was ill.

vix84
21-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I suppose I will just say its up to them if they want me to have their children if Max is ok though.

He's really sleepy is this normal? thats if it is even chicken pox!

Shar
21-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Chicken pox is blister like spots, no mistaking it. Fluid filled spots. If Max has a rash it could be viral if he is also unwell. Best get it seen by a doctor.

vix84
21-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Chicken pox is blister like spots, no mistaking it. Fluid filled spots. If Max has a rash it could be viral if he is also unwell. Best get it seen by a doctor.

We did a baby class a week ago and he went in a paddling pool with bubbles which give him dry skin which comes out in the form of spots - these aren't fluid filled, but wasnt sure if they start off like little spots and then develop into a blister.

He had an early sleep today and is asleep now - maybe he thinks its bedtime!
Will keep an eye on him - I had a sore throat a few days ago, so could even be that!