PDA

View Full Version : childminding - healthy lifestyle?

Blackhorse
20-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi

I was thinking over the last few days while doing a lot of activity planning, healthy foods lists etc etc that childminders should have quite a healthy lifestyle. I know you cannot generalise these things too much but compared to my previous office job...

more walking outside as I am planning to do most things on foot rather than with a car (once I actually get one)...like walking to playgroups, schools etc wherever feasible...

outside play, walks etc...joining into their activitites where appropriate
not sitting at a desk all day
fresh air..

providing healthy food for the kids and not being tempted to jump down to the chippy for lunch (as we did when we had a lot of stress in the office and couln't be bothered)

would I be right with this? do you feel a difference??
or am I completely lost in coo-coo land? (not sure how you spell that)

Alibali
20-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Sounds good in theory, and I certainly walk a lot more than before and get lots of fresh air, however I am about 2 stones heavier than when I started 3 years ago:blush: I know a lot of minders who struggle with weight too.

Zoomie
20-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Not started minding yet, but since having DD I have become a lot more active. Problem is that at home food is much more easily available.

When I worked in an office I didn't have time to think about breakfast till it was 4pm. Now I am wondering if I can hold off having breakfast until 0930 hours :rolleyes:

sue
20-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Sounds good in theory, and I certainly walk a lot more than before and get lots of fresh air, however I am about 2 stones heavier than when I started 3 years ago:blush: I know a lot of minders who struggle with weight too.

This is what l was thinking about myself :idea: l am very good in what to give to kids but l tend to eat more now myself than l did when l worked away from home!!!!!!!!

Roseolivia
21-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah you are always on the go, walking and constantly doing things but i still struggle with my weight and i don't snack through the day either. I think as you get older it's harder to maintain your younger weight.

nell57
21-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Yes you're right, I do feel more healthy, although still over weight:blush: . I don't drive, so have to walk most places anyway.

Some times still get a little stressed and feels like I'm living in coo-coo land though:laughing:

huggableshelly
21-03-2009, 08:58 AM
same here walking more but weight is an issue, my problem though is i snack at night when sat here alone and hubby is on night shift.

haribo
21-03-2009, 09:06 AM
when i started minding years ago i was akways snacking and put on loads of weight, i also used to finish off the kids stuff. then i read a good tip as soo as the kids finish chuck washing up liqid over the plates lol i dont do it now ,i just switched to buying only healthy stuff no crisps and biscuits etc and with all the walking got back down to my previous weight. you do have to be disciplined though. i also got into herbal teas and sip them through the day .

charleyfarley
21-03-2009, 09:21 AM
same here walking more but weight is an issue, my problem though is i snack at night when sat here alone and hubby is on night shift.

That's me. :panic: I'm very good at giving the children healthy food but I don't have my meal until after the mindees have gone, alot of the time I even wait till my own children have gone to bed so I can sit and eat peacefully without getting disturbed. Because I eat so late some nights I tend not to eat proper meals, so snack on the wrong things.

Yes I walk to school twice a day which will be 3 times a day there and back in September but working from home the temptation of the goodies is just too much sometimes :D

Carol xx

buildingblocks
21-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a huge weight issue and permanently on a diet. i walk everywhere as I don't drive school run three days a week 20 mins one way. We eat brilliant healthy food when the children are here.

Think my weight doesn't alter as it is all the choc I need ina n evening after they go and to cope with stress of parents lol

Lady Haha
21-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I have balanced out! I am the same weight as I was when I did office work sat at a desk all day, even though I am constantly on the go doing stuff now, but that is because of the choc in the evening! yum!

Til I read this thread, I didn't realise, I hardly ever touched chocolate before I was a childminder, but now I seem to eat it every evening! Must be the 'downside' of the job, I can live with that!:laughing:

Rubybubbles
21-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I have a huge weight issue and permanently on a diet. i walk everywhere as I don't drive school run three days a week 20 mins one way. We eat brilliant healthy food when the children are here.

Think my weight doesn't alter as it is all the choc I need ina n evening after they go and to cope with stress of parents lol

:D same here!!

singlewiththree
21-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I find all that walking builds up an appetite and I snack behind the kids backs on the biscuit tin :blush:

manjay
21-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I find all that walking builds up an appetite and I snack behind the kids backs on the biscuit tin :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: I go into the utility room and raid the pringles!!!!

But seriously I do think I have a much healthier lifestyle since I gave up my office job. Inever used to be able to find the time for excercising but now I spend most days running round like a loon without even thinking about it. I spend so much more time outdoors and I find that as I have so little spare time I have to plan meticulously what meals we are going to have. This means I tend to do less of the grab and run meals that I would have before.

mushpea
21-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I defintaly eat healthier and get more excersise , even more so now cause oh's car failed the mot so we are down to one car which he will use for work:eek:

I feel bad snacking behind the kids back and as for finishing of what they leave there isnt usualy any! although really cant understand this theroy of putting fairy liquid all over the left overs surly its just as easy to chuck it in the bin??
I have acutaly lost weight since doing this job so cant complain.

haribo
21-03-2009, 07:53 PM
i dont knoi never did i i just wrapped it up -waste of washing up liquid lol but its meant to stop you being tempted , apparentley they say it at slimming clubs