PDA

View Full Version : You know that smoking advert?

helenlc
20-03-2009, 06:38 PM
You know that smoking advert on the telly where it shows the children imitating the adults smoking?

Wel, I caught my almost 3 yr old mindee doing it today!!! :eek: (Mum smokes). We were at the Childrens Centre and they have a craft trolley which kids have free access to. On there were some match sticks (not with the head obviously, proper craft ones). He went out to the outside area with a few and I didnt think anything of it.

Then I look round and he has this match stick between his first 2 fingers, in a proper cigarette hold. Then he puts it to his mouth, has a "drag" and then walks round with it between his fingers again!!

I went straight over to him, took them off him and said No, thats not a nice thing to do.

I was so shocked and it was a horrible thing to see a little one do. :panic: My husband smokes but I have only ever seen my daughter pretend to do it once and even hubby told her No it disgusting and dont smoke etc.

amirose
20-03-2009, 06:56 PM
My partner smokes its a disgusting habit - I would be horrified if I saw that too - have you mentioned it to his mum yet?

Alibali
20-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Me and a fellow cm were out at soft play a few weeks back and were watching the lo's play, one of her mindees aged 2 1/2 said to one of mine of the same age ' give us a fag'!!!!

Poor kids being subjected to it at such a young age.

helenlc
20-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I didn't know whether to say anything to Mum - I dont want to make her feel guilty. Their flat is solid with smoke whenever I have been in there.

I didnt know if I should write it in my personal/private diary that I keep. Do you think its worth noting?

uf353432
20-03-2009, 08:23 PM
you could, then link it to some kind of being healthy play as a follow up.

I mean its not nice seeing a child mimic certain aspects of adult behaviour, but to the child this is their 'normal' others might role play hoovering, or making cakes etc.

If you show this child there is another option, perhaps you will give the tools for healthy choices in later life.

is there non smoking resources?

helenlc
20-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I wondered whether to use it as an observation and as you say, make the next steps about keeping healthy, making good choices etc.

Not sure if Mum would be offended though?

I am not a smoker so not sure how I would feel if my child came back with anything along those lines ie not being a good habit etc.

amirose
20-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I wondered whether to use it as an observation and as you say, make the next steps about keeping healthy, making good choices etc.

Not sure if Mum would be offended though?

I am not a smoker so not sure how I would feel if my child came back with anything along those lines ie not being a good habit etc.

I would imagine the mum would be as horrified as us. My partner smokes and he wishes he didn't - I don't think any smokers actualy really enjoy smoking therefore I don't think she'd be offended.
You may well give her the incentive to quit - nothing wrong with that :thumbsup:

Mollymop
20-03-2009, 09:13 PM
That is very sad.
I am a smoker, I won't deny it. It is very difficult to give up, and I try to protect my kids from seeing me smoke. They know I do and they tell me to give up cos it is bad and I will, I hope soon. I keep trying.
My hubby never has smoked and hates it, he hates me smelling of it and the thought of me becoming ill

Both my parents smoked and I remember seeing cigarette butts in ashtrays in the house when I was younger, I used to pick them up and "drag" on them as I thought that is what most grown ups do. But I do remember my Dad teling me that smoking is disgusting and a habit and never to start. But it obviously didn't sink in

DOn't panic about it too much, I know it is a bad habit and children shouldn't be faced with it, but when they are older they will make their own choices, good or bad. I hope he has learned that smoking is not a nice thing to do

OrlandoBelle
20-03-2009, 09:18 PM
My 3 yr old mindee who I look after in the evenings at his house said to me the other day "Mummy's upstairs having a fag".....I thought it sounded so horrible coming from such an innocent little mouth.

My partner smokes occasionally at work if he's having a stressful day. I hate it and he knows it. Even if he has had one at 10am in the morning, I can still smell it on him in the evening when we're in bed. I hate it so much.

One of my mindees comes to me in the mornings and reeks of it. Makes me feel sick.:(

Princess Sara
20-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Those adverts make me really sad. My mum smokes, has done forever, and I was always that little girl that stank of ciggerette smoke. I remember teachers trying not to get to close to my hair when looking at my work, I remember the poor lady that use to give me a lift to school opening her window even on a really cold day so the car wouldn't smell of smoke...

My ds1 used to hold crayons etc up to his mouth and pretent to smoke. He still talks about it sometimes with his friends ''lets pretent we're going out in the garden for a faaag!'' and it makes me want to cry. I hate smoking, it is the most discusting thing I could imagine having to do and I cannot comprihend why someone would want to do it of freewill.

I avoid going to my mum's house because I know it's all I'll be able to smell for the next 24 hours. I just don't understand it.

LOOPYLISA
20-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I hate it, horrible habbit, my dd has seen the damage its done to my nan over the years so hopefully won.t touch cigerettes, myself and hubby don.t smoke never have i don.t think i could kiss him if he did smoke :panic:

helenlc
20-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Like I said, my hubby smokes and I remember once where dd was younger, we were at a friends and the little girl said (about my daughter) She smells of smoke! I was heart broken. Luckily dd was too young to understand what was said really but I was mortified.

Maybe I am making too much of it and dont need to write any of it down. But it shocked me and upset me to see him imitating it so well at such a young age.

I am not quite sure about writing it as an observation with links to making healthy choices etc. Is this really something I want to be in his Learning Journey to look back on later?