PDA

View Full Version : How do I apply for a variation???

Toothfairy
20-03-2009, 04:35 PM
As from July I will be over my numbers by 1 five year old on a Thursday night, for 1.5hrs, term time only.
So I need to apply for a variation for this.
How do I go about this and do you think they will grant it?

Any advice greatly recieved, thanks.

sarah707
20-03-2009, 04:41 PM
You need to ring Ofsted for an application form and get it back as quickly as possible.

No guarantees on whether it will be allowed or not - it's usually for continuity of care.

Good luck! :D

Toothfairy
20-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Sarah, thanks for that.

On a Thursday I have a 6m baby all day, then after school I have the baby's brother (6) and sister (10).
I also have another girl (6) and her Mum has asked if I can have her sister (4.5 but at school) on a Thursday as well.
So although it will be 5 children ( I know I don't count the 10yr old), it is only two families.

madasahatter
20-03-2009, 05:30 PM
How many are you registered for? because on those numbers it doesn't immeditely look like you would need a variation. You would only have 1 child in the 0-5yr age bracket and 3 in the 5-8 age bracket. You can totally ignore the 10yr old from your numbers.

My registration is for 6 under 8's of which no more than 3 can be under 5. Based on this if I only had 1 child in the 0-5 group I could have 5 in the 5-8's.

Toothfairy
21-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Madasahatter

My registration states;

May care for no more than 3 children under 8 yrs, of these, not more than 2 may be under 5 years and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time.

So, from July, on a Thursday, term time only, for 1.5hrs I will be over my numbers by 1 as I will have;

1 x 6m baby
2 x 6yrs
1 x 4.5yrs (but at school, so classes as 5yrs I think?)
1 x 10yrs (not counted)

I will need a variation won't I?
Also, do Ofsted have to come and do another inspection when you apply for a variation or do they just say 'yes' or 'no' by letter?

rickysmiths
21-03-2009, 03:43 PM
It looks like you will need a variation.

As its for a sibbling it shouldn't be a problem. I usually write a letter, give name and date of bith of all the children and the new one and explain as briefly as I can why I need it.

Do a clear grid diagram of the week showing all the children you have, when you have them and the age range they are in.

Include the 10year old because although they don't count in your numbers, Osted need to know because they will assess the impact the older one might have on all the younger ones.

Ring and check the address you need to send it to, it is different for different areas.

Good luck! Dont be afraid to appeal if they do refuse you. I appealed a variation last Oct took it to a panel meeting and got the Variation with an appology from the inspector who had refused it in the first place!!! It was also for a new starter so anything is possible and if you don't ask you can't get!!

madasahatter
21-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Do you have 3 children of your own (aged under 8)? because if you do then Ofsted won't grant you a variation to have another under 8.
A variation may be granted to allow you to have say 4 under 5's instead of the normal 3 but you still have to stay within the total number of children you are registered for. Now whether ofsted will increase the number you are registered for from 3 under 8's to 4 under 8's will depend on the reasons for them saying only 3 in the first place.

Toothfairy
21-03-2009, 09:58 PM
My children are 6yrs, 12yrs and 14yrs.
When I had my initial inspection 3yrs ago, the inspector was fairly new too. When it came to numbers she asked me if i wanted to apply for 3 or 4 under 5's. As my youngest was only 3 at the time, i said that 3 would be fine. In hindsight i should of said 4, but hay ho.

I will apply on Monday.

Do Ofsted re-inspect for a variation or just reply by letter?

loocyloo
21-03-2009, 11:56 PM
i had a continueity of care issue, when, icluding my own children, i would have 7 under the age of 8, one afternoon a week afterschool. ofsted would not allow it, now would htey allow me to send my own child to a minder for those hours thus as it were 'freeing up a space'. the only option i had was to employ an assistant for those hours!

i had many a conversation with ofsted about it, and it did go to the 'top bods', but, they could not, in any circumanstance, allow me to have more than 6 under 8's!

good luck! phone and ask to speck to the inspection support team, (i think!), i found them really helpful and supportive, even though in the end i couldn't do what i wanted to do!

xx

madasahatter
22-03-2009, 03:56 PM
As you have only got one childof your own in the under 8's age bracket I would give ofsted a ring and see if you can up you registration from 3 to 5 under 8's. Their answer might depend on the size of your house as you are supposed to have a certain amount of space per child.

Chatterbox Childcare
22-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Is there a reason why you didn't get the 5 under 8 when you first registered? Maybe space?

I cannot see any reason why they wouldn't grant you a change but I would ask for your conditions to be changed to allow 5 under 8 rather than a variation and then you can do what you want without asking for permission all the time.