PDA

View Full Version : I want outstanding

jellytot
20-03-2009, 12:28 PM
ok I really need some help, but step by step help. I am getting things all in order as its way over due. I am due my inspection any time but I want to get outstanding, deep down I know I will be lucky to get good but have decided to push for outstanding.

So what I am asking is for help on sorting myself out. Where is the best place to start on getting all my stuff in order, I do have alot to sort. I also still need to get to grips with the EYFS which I think is going to be my big downfall.

So please could someone help with where to start.

sarah707
20-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Have you downloaded my list of things to do for Eyfs?

It's as good a place as any to start and it's in free downloads at the top of the forum.

The other thing is to go through the Eyfs bit by bit and make sure you have done every single thing it says to do :D

Daftbat
20-03-2009, 02:16 PM
I used to be good and got outstanding this time after getting tips here but mainly after buying some of Sarahs ebooks. i only spent 20 quid and it really helped with planning and some other org bits. can't recommend it enough - go have a look at her site.
:thumbsup:

angeldelight
23-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Good luck hope you get what you want

Angel xx

estrelas
23-03-2009, 08:00 AM
i want outstanding too!!:laughing: :laughing:

janet
23-03-2009, 08:02 AM
my top tip was when you get the phone call to say they are coming within the next few days is to ring up and check that someone has actually rang from ofsted my inspector was quite impressed with this xx

huggableshelly
23-03-2009, 08:06 AM
me tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

And i will get it well umm maybe but will be happy with a GOOD too.

donnadoo2004200
23-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I am very happy with my good. Goodluck to u all:)

angeldelight
23-03-2009, 08:48 AM
I am very happy with my good. Goodluck to u all:)

Well done to you , you have every right to be happy with your good

:clapping: :clapping:

Angel xx

Mouse
23-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry to sound harsh, but how do you expect ( or think you deserve) outstanding if you aren't doing the work?

EYFS came in in September and I worked damned hard to make sure I had everything in place for when it started. I didn't use anyone else's work or help books, I plodded through it myself. But the fact that there are e-books available should have made it even easier for you to get everything in order when you were supposed to.

I think it's sad that many minders do the work in readiness for Ofsted, then forget about it as soon as their inspection is over (not that I'm saying you would be the sort of person do this.)

JOANNE
23-03-2009, 01:16 PM
My inspection is weds AM an i will be delighted with a good (which i got last time)
I don`t know if i would want outstanding, there is so much to live up to for next time and you have nothing higher to gain.
Plus we don`t get paid any extra for outstanding, lets be honest!!!

Twinkles
23-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry to sound harsh, but how do you expect ( or think you deserve) outstanding if you aren't doing the work?

EYFS came in in September and I worked damned hard to make sure I had everything in place for when it started. I didn't use anyone else's work or help books, I plodded through it myself. But the fact that there are e-books available should have made it even easier for you to get everything in order when you were supposed to.

I think it's sad that many minders do the work in readiness for Ofsted, then forget about it as soon as their inspection is over (not that I'm saying you would be the sort of person do this.)

I think jellytot is just saying that she is trying to be the best she can. Not all of us find paperwork easy , it's not a case of working harder or being lazy or not bothered.

beerheaven
23-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I wish you all the best in your 'quest' for outstanding!!

Since September I have worked my butt off! All my paperwork is up to date and I made sure I had missed nothing.

However, (and I really don't want to sound negativer here!) I was given a good overall and really had to push to be given one outstanding. When I asked her what else I could do to achieve outstanding she replied that it wsan't as simple as that!?! I asked her to comment on my paperwork but all she said was that it was perfect!

Personally, I think it's a combination of hardwork and luck with the inspector on the day!

Go for it girl!!

JOANNE
24-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree with you, another childminder i spoke to said on her inspection the inspector said that she "HAD TO FIND SOMETHING" for her to improve on!!!!!! :eek:

WHY?????????? :angry:

If she had worked so hard then surely she should have been rewarded for that.
I find the whole system very confusing.

Well my inspection is tomorrow morning and i really couldn`t care less what she says, i know i have done everything in my power to provide top quality care (all parents and children are happy) so, what will be will be.

huggableshelly
24-03-2009, 01:24 PM

I did alot of the work myself, the SEF I had help with from Sarah's E-books and I also bought risk assessments e-book as wasnt confident that I was doing them right ... which i was but the e-book was worth getting for reassurance.

I knew i wouldnt get outstanding as didnt have any EYFS children in my care when i was due an inspection but the inspection didnt take place, I now have 2 in EYFS and still not had an inspection ... i want outstanding but i think i deserve a GOOD everything is in placve and working well (apart from coursework but thats not ofsteds concren).

in a way its great that ofsted forgot about me as I would have gained satisfactory which is great too as represented the care I was giving to over 8's and was unable to show my EYFS in action due to lack of children. BUT at the same time its horrid that I've been left .... I want my inspection not jst to get it over with but to see where i need to improve my setting, I rely on others to gain reassurance as I lack confidence in myself.

Sarah worked hard on her books and makes a profit from them for people like me who need reassurance and others who do not understand what is expected. When I became a CM I was sposed to have a cm buddy to help me but that didnt happen, i plodded on doing my own thing for 3 years only having after school care.

since sept 2008 i've pulled my socks up, with help from here and e-books my confidence has grown, even parents have noticed how much more confidence i have ... not how much more I do with their children as i've always done alot.

anway LOL I'm getting off my soap box now ... I know what i deserve, I know what I want both are different and I have alot more to improve on but until I work out what it is I need to improve on I cant improve it.

huggableshelly
24-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I agree with you, another childminder i spoke to said on her inspection the inspector said that she "HAD TO FIND SOMETHING" for her to improve on!!!!!! :eek:

WHY?????????? :angry:

If she had worked so hard then surely she should have been rewarded for that.
I find the whole system very confusing.

Well my inspection is tomorrow morning and i really couldn`t care less what she says, i know i have done everything in my power to provide top quality care (all parents and children are happy) so, what will be will be.

Good Luck joanne I hope you have a lovely day.

JOANNE
24-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Good Luck joanne I hope you have a lovely day.

Thankyou, Not so sure about lovely, but hopefully, not too painful ;)

beerheaven
24-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow, Joanne.

I really hope that you get an inspector who understands and appreciates all the hard work you have put in.

However you are quite right about your parents and mindees being happy - at the end of the day that's what counts!!

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

sue
24-03-2009, 09:02 PM
good luck sure you will be fine

Allie
03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
I think it really depends on who inspects my friend was told by her inspector that she never gave childminders outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!! while some inspectors work like this it's never going to be fair

Allie

Mollymop
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I think it really depends on who inspects my friend was told by her inspector that she never gave childminders outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!! while some inspectors work like this it's never going to be fair

Allie

Yes I agree here. I have heard about this before. I am happy with my Goods in every area. I worked hard, but I really didn;'t expect to get all goods in my first inspection especially straight after the EYFS came in plus I have no previous childcare experience.

I hope you get what you want Jellytot and remember it isn't all about the paperwork. xx

miffy
03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I hope you get what you want Jellytot and remember it isn't all about the paperwork. xx

I agree with this - good luck :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Shar
04-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree, it' not just about the paperwork. My inspector told me it's like a jigsaw, all the little pieces fit together perfectly. The bigger picture is clear and takes time to achieve. I was not aiming for Outstanding and graded myself as Good on the SEF. I would have been delighted with another Good and was shocked to get Outstanding.

If you want it, good luck. XX :thumbsup: