PDA

View Full Version : After School Clubs ?

miss sunshine
20-03-2009, 08:08 AM
hi, just wandered if these have affected your buisness at all. As our local school which i collect from is starting one in Oct this year, they are going to do 8am-9am & 3.30pm-5.30pm, have you lost any children to these clubs.

Many Thanks xxxxxxxxxxx

huggableshelly
20-03-2009, 08:12 AM
I lost 2 to afterschool clubs but they came back to me as they were not flexible enough, 5:30 pickups was a rush and parent got told off for being late.

Here if she is late its not an issue as noone can predict the traffic. She knows her children are looked after right up until she arrives, my closet is open all hours lmao.

Chatterbox Childcare
20-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Parents will always try after school clubs because of the cost but unless they are unhappy yours shouldn't go.

Ones that go to the clubs don't come to childminders unless they are unhappy
in their current place

charleyfarley
20-03-2009, 08:18 AM
I haven't had any leave me to go to the after school club but I know I have lost out to it as parents can use this service when and if they need it. Where as with me they have to pay even if they don't come for the session booked.

Carol xx

sonia ann
20-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I havn't lost any to before /after school clubs in fact for 4 yrs I have picked up from an after school club who have the 2 girls for 1/2hr until I can get there to collect them (I cant be in 2 places at once) as parents would still prefer them to come back to a homely env. after school.they also like the flexibility I can provide if they are late or held up.....I have even taken them home and provided my daughter to babysit at very short notice:D
After school clubs aren't for everyone:)

breezy
20-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Not lost anyone to the local one as at the mo it charges £6 an hour :eek:
so childminders are cheaper and more flexible, however the school i do the school run to only has myself and one other minder going there so club is used as we dont have spaces!

Rasharoon
20-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I haven't had any leave me but our paths do cross each day and there must be about 20 children all making their way there.
Last time I heard, they charged £4 per hour and included a free meal!

nannymcflea
20-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Ours charges @ £55 per year...I cannot compete. They charge £1.50 per night for the school run but they go after school and holidays for that price!

sarahstanbridge
20-03-2009, 08:29 PM
i lost all my before schoolers in september to the schools new breakfast club and they are opening an after school club on 20 april so am just waiting to see what happens. i am expecting to lose 2 as both of these go the breakfast club - neither parents have said anything yet so i wait to see what happens.

Lady Haha
20-03-2009, 09:07 PM
The after school club that picked up from the same school as I do, actually lost out to me three times! They have gone out of business altogether now.

The first parent who approached me wanted me to have her daughter as she was unhappy there. The second one I got, because her mum was abit annoyed that the afterschool club failed to pick her daughter up not once, but twice! Left her at school!! And the third mum wasn't happy that the after school club had one person walking about 15 kids from school and her 6 year old daughter and friend managed to get way ahead of the group and made their own way there, crossing roads and everything!:eek:

So, these clubs maybe cheap, but you get what you pay for!

I must admit, if the school itself had a breakfast club, I might lose out there. But for after school care, I personally wouldn't want my son to have to stay in school for another three hours after hometime, so maybe other parents feel the same.

Zoomie
20-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I haven't started minding yet, but wanted to mentioned that I once used our afterschool club when my childminder was unavailable.

My children were very unhappy there that afternoon, and have fortunately never had to return. The staff were fine, but some of the children weren't exactly nice ...

Alibali
20-03-2009, 09:44 PM
My phone has been ringing hot with after school enquiries, and lots of them are from existing after school clubs as the kids don't seem to like the busyness of the clubs after a day at school.

Personally I'd rather not have after schoolers as I find them harder work than the littlies!

Chatterbox Childcare
21-03-2009, 11:34 AM
My phone has been ringing hot with after school enquiries, and lots of them are from existing after school clubs as the kids don't seem to like the busyness of the clubs after a day at school.

Personally I'd rather not have after schoolers as I find them harder work than the littlies!

I love my after schoolers and I find them easy to entertain and the more I have the more they do their own thing. I mostly collect and bring them home and feed them and that is it!

I get paid well for my after schoolers and I won't drop my prices to compete with the clubs.

rickysmiths
21-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I have lost one several years ago to the local after school club. I have gained two who tried it and found it was awful. I have others who may have considered it but chose me.

I interviewed on Friday, two brothers, 3-4 days after school from September so for before and after school I am full now and I know I will get more calls before September.

Like Debbie I am not cheap, I am more expensive than the after school club, so I'm told but I charge what I charge, I don't try to compete.

The Breakfast club that opened in Sept at the school I go to (my own children are at High School and did not go to this school), well i didn't even know it had opened until one of the parents mentioned it after Oct half term. lol:laughing: :laughing:

Rubybubbles
21-03-2009, 04:18 PM
I love my after schoolers and I find them easy to entertain and the more I have the more they do their own thing. I mostly collect and bring them home and feed them and that is it!

I get paid well for my after schoolers and I won't drop my prices to compete with the clubs.

your lucky:( the first question I always get asked is how much are you! the kids clubs here are highly funded (through the RAF!)

miss sunshine
21-03-2009, 04:31 PM
thanks for all your reply's. the ladies doing the school club are doing from a building on the school premises and i do know them, they have asked me if any childminders would have a problem with them doing this but i told them although were not over the moon we can't stop them and if they didn't do it somebody else would.
so i just wanted to know how much they affected us.

singlewiththree
21-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I haven't had any leave me to go to the after school club but I know I have lost out to it as parents can use this service when and if they need it. Where as with me they have to pay even if they don't come for the session booked.

Carol xx

Me too I have had parents ask me for prices and then choose the club

Heaven Scent
21-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I have because they don't charge when children don't attend and are cheaper.