View Full Version : How does a variation work

singlewiththree
20-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Ok a daft title but I couldnt think how to explain it shortly

I'm applying for a variation for Sept

I have my 2 children under 5 currently an also

E on Thurs morning 18mths
J on Fri morning 1yrs

J's mum wants me to have him Mon-Fri mornings from Sept. ( had originally applied for variation but refused as he was new)

What I'm trying to say is that if you apply for a variation for that day does it have to be for those circumstances only.

In sept my DD starts school, part time initially so on a Thurs only would have
DD aged 3
E aged 2
J aged 18mths
DD aged 4 - in school

If ofsted grant it for that and then in a few weeks later my DD starts full time school but then in Oct I have on a Thurs

DD aged 3
E aged 2
J aged 18mths
Baby aged 9mths

Would the variation still apply because if I have to apply again it would be refused as baby isn't starting until Oct so not continuity of care unless I start the settling in on the other days and then apply saying the parent now wants a Thurs.

If you understood that do you have any advice? Ideally I could give notice to E as he is only Thurs only but he is a family friend so it gets tricky.

huggableshelly
20-03-2009, 07:44 AM
you need to write down exactly what you need and the changes that will be made over the the months just like you have done in your post, ofsted will then decide on what variation to give you.

they may honour your first one then you will ahve to request ansecond or they may cover both as its such a short time period.

singlewiththree
20-03-2009, 07:47 AM
I suppose that is the advantage of applying now so if they say yes to the first the one and no to the second then I can choose not to take on J full time as I have said I would have the baby and she is full time and comes with an older sibling before and after school so financially better off. If I could give notice to E I wouldn't need the variation but its complicated. I asked E's mum yesterday about the ofsted variation to have J on a Thurs with my 2 as well and she pulled a bit of a face but said ok, so hopefully she will leave on her own accord.

huggableshelly
20-03-2009, 07:56 AM
I hope all goes well for you.