PDA

View Full Version : NCMA OR MM

leilap
19-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

Could I have your opinion on which you think is better to go with when you first register - NCMA or MM.

I checked with the DO and she said that the grant would cover for either one and not just NCMA as some LA's do.

many thanks

Lx

rickysmiths
19-03-2009, 10:56 PM
I have been with NCMA for 14years now and although they may not be quite so cheap (MM is about £20 lees I believe) I think they have more to offer Childminders.

DudleyChildmind
20-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Over the years I have been with the NCMA and MM and I am with MM now :)

sonia ann
20-03-2009, 06:33 AM
i've always used ncma too with no problems:)

charleyfarley
20-03-2009, 06:35 AM
I've been with NCMA for 10 years since I started minding, never had a problem but then I've never had to use them so to speak. I do like all their paperwork though.

Carol xx

Pauline
20-03-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm with MM, have been for about 20 years , I like the fact that you can use your own paperwork and still use their legal help.

leilap
26-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your help.

I think I'll probably go with NCMA to start with and if I dont like it will change next year.

Lx

Chatterbox Childcare
26-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I have been with both and only changed back to NCMA because their insurance cover allowed me to have more children which I use in the holidays.

As a support minder my advice would be to go with NCMA in the first year as you get all the goodies and the accounts books are a great start and then change if you want to the next year

MissTinkerbell
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I have been with NCMA for 14years now and although they may not be quite so cheap (MM is about £20 lees I believe) I think they have more to offer Childminders.

I've checked today and MM are quoting £40 whereas my NCMA insurance renewal is £23 plus £5 for a cert.

Andrea08
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
im with ncma as thats was available at the time also my network will sometimes give us FREE ncma paperwork like attendance reg, and accounts books x x

FussyElmo
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
im with ncma as thats was available at the time also my network will sometimes give us FREE ncma paperwork like attendance reg, and accounts books x x

we got the freebies to. Contracts. accident book and attendence records glad I went to the network meeting :)

ORKSIE
08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I with MM
Like their Contracts etc:clapping:

Toothfairy
28-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm with the NCMA and have been for the last three years.
No problems so far, touch wood! :thumbsup:

Megan
28-04-2009, 08:16 PM
I have been with the NCMA for the past 35 years. I reluctantly renewed this year as we get nothing from them at all. I am part of the network however our development worker knows less than us and its the 5th new one in so many years.

You do not have to be a member anymore to avail yourself of any of the courses they put on as these are funded by central government.

Our CDW is there for all childminders whether or not you are with the NCMA.

Megan

Nix
03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I've been with NCMA since I started in September 2007 and when I minded when my dd was little.

I like their stuff!

Hooligan59
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I have been with NCMA since I started minding in 1993 - there were no freebies going then, and I think Morton Michel only offered the insurance then.

My membership/insurance is due for renewal at the end of June, and I am seriously considering whether to change to MM.

I feel that the membership fee for NCMA is quite expensive for what we actually get - a magazine four times a year. They also seem to like to tell us that Ofsted require things that they don't or rather my NCMA CDW does, like monthly fire and evacuation practices once a month! Mrs Ofsted yesterday laughed at that, and said regular means every 3-4 months, or if a new child starts or things change - not monthly! She also said that they do not put "Member of NCMA" on your inspection report anymore.

So, seriously considering a change.....

rickysmiths
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I have been with NCMA since I started minding in 1993 - there were no freebies going then, and I think Morton Michel only offered the insurance then.

My membership/insurance is due for renewal at the end of June, and I am seriously considering whether to change to MM.

I feel that the membership fee for NCMA is quite expensive for what we actually get - a magazine four times a year. They also seem to like to tell us that Ofsted require things that they don't or rather my NCMA CDW does, like monthly fire and evacuation practices once a month! Mrs Ofsted yesterday laughed at that, and said regular means every 3-4 months, or if a new child starts or things change - not monthly! She also said that they do not put "Member of NCMA" on your inspection report anymore.

So, seriously considering a change.....

Well it justs goes to show how inconsistent Mrs Ofsteds are!!!!! A friend was inspected a couple of weeks ago and they put on her report that she is a member of NCMA not that I can see the significance of it really. We all have to be insured don't we?

I actually think NCMA membership is good value. The National/Regional Forums are very interesting to attend. One of the East Regions meetings has Mrs Ofsted there and boy did we give her a bashing:blush: We were all able to put questions and I think learnt a lot.

These regional meetings are open to all members and give an opportunity to voice you veiws and for extra training. There is also the Annual Conference this year in Leeds which is fantastic to visit. All chances to meet other Childminders as well.

MM don't offer any of this when I last looked and that is why they are cheaper but interestingly not significantly cheaper in the light of what they don't offer their insured?

Pauline
08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
MM don't offer any of this when I last looked and that is why they are cheaper but interestingly not significantly cheaper in the light of what they don't offer their insured?

The thing with MM is though, you don't have to pay extra for a membership to get the insurance. So unless you are interested in attending meetings and such then I don't see the point in being a member of NCMA.

LittleMissSparkles
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
mine is due fo rrenewalin june and i am thinking about changing to MM x

Daftbat
08-05-2009, 01:45 PM
The thing with MM is though, you don't have to pay extra for a membership to get the insurance. So unless you are interested in attending meetings and such then I don't see the point in being a member of NCMA.

This has been my conclusion this time upon deciding my renewal options. I was a member of NCMA since starting and whilst all their paperwork is good you still have to purchase it all and over the years i dread to think what i have spent as a busy childminder who has looked after in excess of 70 children. I also worked as a Community Childminder and used their contracts for that too which i had to buy. Yes, i know you can claim it as expenses but you don't get it all back.

I have never had to use their legal service but would be happy to ake someone to court myself anyway. The magazine is intersting but only small given its not a monthly one. If people wan to attend regional meetings etc then it may be useful to be a member but there are costs involved in attending some of these things even if its just the petrol etc.

I have decided to take the insurance at MM and i have just produced my own contracts, etc. on the computer. It took a bit of time but now they are done it will last forever.

avril
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I've always been a member of ncma since I started as this was pushed by our local early years. BUT recently they are totally useless when ordering more stationery I have just waited 2mnths for accident forms :mad:

Maybe change to MM next time ins is due.:idea:

CMinderMandy
18-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I am thinking of changing to MM next year as i don't think the service NCMA offers is that good anymore.

I did not recieve my renewal form and had to chase that up, No more insurance cover notes, handbooks and then they advertise their factsheet section on their website but i cannot access it.

My insurance & membership seems to go up and up every year and i don't use their paperwork. I went to use their legal system once but got more joy from a solicitor secretary.

I have been wiith NCMA since 1992 but just feel it's gone downhill for me this year

mrs c
19-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I started with NCMA and changed to MM because it cost me less to get the insurance