PDA

View Full Version : 40,000 fewer childminders!

misst104
19-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Just read in the paper that the number of Cm's has fallen from 102,600 in 1996 to just 63,600 since the government made the job more demanding through its EYFS!!!!!

xxx

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 02:01 PM
doesnt suprise me, 2 have quit by me and another one is giving up by the summer.

TheBTeam
19-03-2009, 02:05 PM
lucky then as there are so many unemployed we could do with a few dropping out! I think the only ones i know that have said they couldn't do it were on the lazier side anyway, and the ones like we all sound are not really doing anything different to previously under the EYFS, i for one prefer it to birth to three. Having said that i think my dh would struggle with his registration if it weren't for my set up and paperwork, because although he is good with the practical side and good with the kids he would most definitely not be able to keep up with the paperwork and obs writing! He has just come in from the garden and guessed 'r u on ur fav website!'

Mouse
19-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I only know of one who has quit because of EYFS. I think she panicked & quit before really looking at it properly.

FizzysFriends
19-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Non seem to have quit around here.

Chatterbox Childcare
19-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I know of 2 people who have quit because of the EYFS. Neither had a pack, went on training or were will to talk it out with the DO.

Enough said.

I personally have taken 6 months to get everything together and think I now do less than I did under Birth-3 and the Foundation Stage

I believe the EYFS is a good thing and if people are not willing to be professional and self reflective, then they should try something else. After all we are doing this for the benefit of children and not ourselves.

Daftbat
19-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't know of anyone who has quit under EYFS but would agree from what others have said that ones who are not willing to condorm to EYFS are probably not doing it properly in the first place and just think its glorified baby sitting.

It took me a while to get the right systems in place which suit me but now i think its really straightforward and i prefer it to b23 as its much clearer.

sarah32
19-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I know a few in my area that gave up last year and a couple are still thinking about it now.

I Can understand with the paperwork thats required. Especially when youve got a young family of your own.

I myself am stuggling to keep up:(

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 02:40 PM
thats where i differ from a few cm's in the forum!

I've only ever had school children or part time nursery children who were out of birth to three matters but under ecm, due to observations etc being done within school i'm classed as one of the lazy cms' where paperwork is concerned so EYFS was a big change for me but I like the change, its been a slog and I've gained alot from the forum along with doing courses with OU aswell 9ok i hate the paperwork and it will get better when I'm not studying at the same time) i wont say its made me pull my socks up as i still only have schoolies and one nursery child if and when he attends that is but it has prepared me for taking on new mindees in the future, i do feel that I would manage a full EYFS system as I've been putting it all into practice with planning (though my planning is still rather old school from nursery days too)

Its made me think more and yes eventually I want to quit being a cm .. when my own kiddies get older but it hasnt made me want to quit due to paperwork .. at the end of the day if I had younger mindees I would (or atleast I should) have been doing alot of it anyway.

the lazy cm signing off and heading to school lol

wendywu
19-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I think i do more than i did on the birth to three.

But i am much more professional with all the paperwork. Loading the photos onto the obs form on the computer. Printing it off then hand writing the obs. I like the learning journals that surrey have given us to fill in.

Its just with Ofsted you get the feeling that no matter what you do it will never be quite good enough. There will always be that one thing that they think you should have that you did not know about. :panic:

inspiron
19-03-2009, 04:32 PM
i think all off you childminders that find the eyfs sooo easy should spare a thought for the childminders that are finding it difficualt it sounds like a lot off you work with someone that must make it a bit easier also it is harder for the ones that have under fives .i have five under fives and have to do it for them all i have been a childminder for a long time all my children have a great time i do lots with them and the parents are more than happy with me but i find eyfs a right pain sorry about going on but have you noticed the forum is to help us not make us feel bad ...:mad:

misst104
19-03-2009, 05:30 PM
i think all off you childminders that find the eyfs sooo easy should spare a thought for the childminders that are finding it difficualt it sounds like a lot off you work with someone that must make it a bit easier also it is harder for the ones that have under fives .i have five under fives and have to do it for them all i have been a childminder for a long time all my children have a great time i do lots with them and the parents are more than happy with me but i find eyfs a right pain sorry about going on but have you noticed the forum is to help us not make us feel bad ...:mad:

Didn't mean to upset anyone :(

xxx

sarah707
19-03-2009, 05:43 PM

I don't think anyone finds Eyfs easy! :panic:

I think it's a much better system than Birth to 3 Matters... now that was a nightmare!

Eyfs has brought together everything under one umbrella so it is more straight forward to use.

But as for easy... nope not here! It's been a long hard struggle.

Thank goodness for the forum and all the members who support each other! :D

misst104
19-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't think anyone finds Eyfs easy! :panic:

I think it's a much better system than Birth to 3 Matters... now that was a nightmare!

Eyfs has brought together everything under one umbrella so it is more straight forward to use.

But as for easy... nope not here! It's been a long hard struggle.

Thank goodness for the forum and all the members who support each other! :D

My thoughts exactly Sarah :thumbsup: Don't know what I would have done without the forum to help me with the registration process. I like the EYFS as well but am under no misconceptions that its easy .

Am sure that this forum will keep a few childminders from quitting. I know I have had a few wobbles wondering if I'm doing the right thing but on the whole, coming here soon makes me think I am again :)

Everyone give yourselves a pat on the back :clapping:

xxx

Chanelle
19-03-2009, 05:52 PM
This Forum has been a godsend to me!!
So much information all on one website :)

Lots of help been given to me here! :D

Ripeberry
19-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I love this forum as well and its helped me a lot as well! :clapping: :)

sonia ann
19-03-2009, 06:02 PM
i've never thought about giving up childminding because of the EYFS but until I found the forum I did feel as if I was the only one finding it difficult to understand what was actually required of us.Although I attended the training sessions they didn't really help much so I just found what worked for me and "did it my way" Since I've been on here and also had my inspection I am much more confident that I'm "doing ok". So big thankyou to everyone on here who anwers questions and shares info it really has helped:) :) :)

just realised I've turned orange:clapping: :clapping: May be I can help by sharing things now too:thumbsup:

TheBTeam
19-03-2009, 07:32 PM
it really helps if you have some cm friends and can share ideas together and teach each other to get the best from your strengths. The eyfs gives a much clearer guideline as to what they expect from you and the b23 didn't go that far. The training courses locally to here made it seem much less onerous than myself and friends had made it, and we have all relaxed back a bit, the guidelines for us were only 20% of the time adult led activities, most observations during child led play and as small as a significant event on a post it note once a week, with a full observation being done around 6 weekly. We were doing full ones once a week, and i had (with hubby but i did his), 8 under 5 and took a night each, not enough nights in the week. I now print out pictures on the obs sheet, hand write the obs and link to development and can do most in just one evening and only once a month! I have pre printed sheets with all of the areas typed on that i have made and attach the photo, this way i am not having to re write the different points in full each time, i can write a brief sentence of how they met each point instead.

jibberjitz
19-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Wow thats alot!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
19-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Its just with Ofsted you get the feeling that no matter what you do it will never be quite good enough. There will always be that one thing that they think you should have that you did not know about. :panic:[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this and I think it is because we want to be as good as we can so we push ourselves more.

loocyloo
19-03-2009, 09:44 PM
none of my local childminders have given up - and ofsted keep on registering more of them :rolleyes:

at this rate there will be more childminders than anything else in our area!

( i don't have an issue with new minders, but i do wish ofsted would look to see how many there are in an area, and maybe find out how work is available! )

huggableshelly
20-03-2009, 08:00 AM
cm's are being turned down here due to the amount there already is but withthe calls I'm getting at the moment there just isnt enough of us that have got spaces available.

After contracts are done tonight I'll be up to 15 children on my books, one of my shift workers luckily is 100% flexi so was able to juggle to accomodate but now I cant take anymore on at all even when my eldest leaves in july, poor lad hasnt left yet and I've already filled his space up.

Carol
22-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I know a few who have given up and some who arent doing the EYFS who have said they wont either, so when they are inspected they will give up then.
At first I found it mind blowing all the policies paperwork etc. Now I do my paperwork during my working day, usually when the lo is asleep. All that is left to do on a night is download my photos. However with my computer being poorly I am 2 weeks behind in my photos.:(

Carol

TheBTeam
22-03-2009, 07:19 PM
cm's are being turned down here due to the amount there already is but withthe calls I'm getting at the moment there just isnt enough of us that have got spaces available.

After contracts are done tonight I'll be up to 15 children on my books, one of my shift workers luckily is 100% flexi so was able to juggle to accomodate but now I cant take anymore on at all even when my eldest leaves in july, poor lad hasnt left yet and I've already filled his space up.

My phone calls have dried up, i only seem to get phone calls when i don't need the business, i just passed a fantastic full timer over to my cm friend and 3 days later i could have done it myself!! hopefully will get some calls soon

misst104
22-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Fingers crossed that you do :)

xxx

huggableshelly
22-03-2009, 08:34 PM
My phone calls have dried up, i only seem to get phone calls when i don't need the business, i just passed a fantastic full timer over to my cm friend and 3 days later i could have done it myself!! hopefully will get some calls soon

thats always the way, a cm local to me passed 2 my way only to find her is losing her main fulltimer but I was able to send one back her way.

sue
22-03-2009, 10:06 PM
I think i do more than i did on the birth to three.

Its just with Ofsted you get the feeling that no matter what you do it will never be quite good enough. There will always be that one thing that they think you should have that you did not know about. :panic:

i fully agree l,ve learn't more on this site :clapping: than Ofsted just seem to confuse me