PDA

View Full Version : applying for variation

Helen79
19-03-2009, 10:14 AM
How easy has anyone else found it to apply for a variation?

I mind a 17month old & applied to get a variation for 2 x 3hour mornings a week at xmas so I could mind his 4year old brother while his mum was at work.
Ofsted were so unhelpful :mad:
They just couldn't understand why the mum couldn't get the 2 mornings off work or why someone else couldn't look after the 4year old for her & said it wasn't an emergency so didn't understand why I was asking for a variation.

They couldn't decide what to do & never gave me an answer so I gave up asking.

I want to ask for a variation for the holidays so I can have the 4year old brother & also for the whole year to have my 2 year old mindee an extra morning a week.

I don't know if it's worth the hassle & just wondered what anyone else's experience was of applying. Is it as hard as that or did I just have a difficvult ofsted lady?

Daftbat
19-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Think you may have just had a difficult lady on the phone. I have had a couple of variations over the years and its been no problem. Set it out in writing exactly what the hours are and when, who the children are, how long you have minded them and why the variation is needed. Don't get in to arguments about whether the parent can get time off, thats not the issue. Just be straight and say this is what is being asked of me and this is why i want to do it.

They won't normally do variations from what i have seen on this site if there is no continuity of care or possible if you have only been minding a short time.

Don't give up - get the application in:thumbsup:

sonia ann
19-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I have had three variations over the years and never had any problems ...other than the time it takes to come through.I agree with Penny , write everything down, who comes when , how old they are (no names),how you will manage them ,have you enough equipment etc,continuity of care, anything you can think of that shows you have really thought about it.
The last variation I asked for came through though and the parents said they no longer needed it:mad: All that effort for nothing!

Roseolivia
19-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I tried to get a variation so i could have 4 under 5 for half an hour and they wouldn't give me it as they said the child wasn't an existing child i already had.

berkschick
19-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I have had several variations since I have been registered and have had no problem in getting them.

They will normally only allow you a variation for continuation of care or sibling link.

Will the extra morning for the 2 year old also be during the holidays when you have the 4 year old as extra?

Would this mean you had 5 under 5? OFSTED told me they never allow a minder working alone to have 5 under 5 or to exceed a total of 6 under 8.