PDA

View Full Version : older mindees

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I might possibly be taking on an 11 year old school hols only.
mum wants him to have a base but also the freedom to go out with friends too.

I've thought alot about this and not made a call to see if I'll be covered by insurance yet but just wondered what everyone does or agrees on in this situation.

i've explained to mum that she will be required to pay for a full day (well the agreed hours) regardless of if he chooses to go out or not. Going out must be agreed and a return time must be agreed too BUT whilst he is out of my sight I am not responsible for him, if he gets into any trouble I cant get out to him as will ahve 6 other children here, he would make 7 too many for a car run and little ones wouldnt waLK FAST ENOUGH IN AN EMERGANCY. (oops caps lock).

so he would have to call his mum for help meaning she would have to come out of work.

i'm in two minds, 70% is shouting no dont agree to it he is either in my care and in sight at all times or doesnt attend at all.
30% of me thinks well maybe he is a sensible lad (not met him yet) and to give it a go on the understanding that he can only venture out 2 days out of the 5 knowing that when he is out of my sight I'm trapped in my home incase he comes back early. If he stays with me the whole time we can walk to the park or local shops without any concerns of a child having to stand on my doorstep.

ok question ... am i being paranoid or should i go with my 705 instinct? my other older mindess are after school care only and venturing out without me has never been bought up.

wendywu
19-03-2009, 11:15 AM
No i wpould not do it and i dont know how Ofsted would look at it. Maybe you should ask.

I think the other mindees would suffer as well as you would not be able to go out and about in the holidays as much. Their whole day would revolve around the whims of one 11 year old.:panic:

Daftbat
19-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I would absolutely not do it. I look after two 13 year olds in the holidays and they have always been in my sight and sound just like the others. I have tailored activities so that they are happy and given them extra opportunities to do craft, baking etc but i would under no circumstances have a child using me as a base. I would not forgive myself if something happened whilst he was with his friends. Ofsted will not be interested in an eleven year old strictly speaking but i think an inspector with their head screwed on would say the same.

What happens if you disagree with the parent over something he does whilst away from the house. You are going to be making decisions about what their child does and then they will not be directly in your care.

I would say its all or nothing, for safety's sake

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Thankyou both I know 100% now what the options are for me to offer

either 100% with me or not at all, I've written out pros and cons etc etc .. there are too many cons and I cant take any risks or deprive my own children and other mindees by feeling trapped in my home.#

i was thinking I was being too overprotective but now i know I'm not.

Thanx xxx

louloudi
19-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree with the others its not worth it if anything happens... I'd be constantly worried.

I've got a similar problem were I live as their are loads of kids in my street who my mindees go to school with and they want to be out to play. It's going to get worse in the summer!!! They often ask if their friends can come in to play which is NO-WAY! I do think its a little unfair but I can't have children all over the place.

Does anyone else have this problem?

nannymcflea
19-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't even allow other kids to walk with us to school. I usually have 6 and if others joined us I'd hate someone to think I was responsible for all of them plus extras!

I do feel mean sometimes but them's are the rules.

haribo
19-03-2009, 05:33 PM
i minded aa 11 yr old and mum asked if i could be used a a base in the holidays and do his own thing . i said no i need to know where he is at all times, as time went on i saw how mature he was i allowed him(with a letter from mum) to play football on the park which is at the end of my road , i would see him over there and go and check often . if i needed to go out he came with me. also i stipulated he must have a mobile on him . i did this with my own and it was good to give him a bit of freedom, if i hadnt done it mum was thinking of leaving him at home alone as she thought he was old enough:eek:

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 06:12 PM
she called me back today, i explained that I wasnt covered by insurance, she is fine with that and ..............................

omg I must be mad LOL she is coming tomorrow to go over paperwork and contracts that makes me 15 children now whooops ... 2 are mine

good job they are not all needing the same times and only 4 are eyfs .. 2 covered mainly in school.

lol you all all see less of me you will all know why ill be somwhere buried under a bunch of kiddies and paperwork ... well that will be out on the bonfire woohoo ... umm well not really but the thoughts are there lol.