PDA

View Full Version : scarlet fever help!

sarahstanbridge
18-03-2009, 12:57 PM
whilst dropping of my dd at school this morning i was told by another parent that she was told yesterday that they have 2 cases of scarlet fever in my daughter's year. if this was the case should the school tell parents? if so they havent yet.
thanks

Alibali
18-03-2009, 01:14 PM
It is a notifialbe disease, but I don't know if that just means you need to notify Doctor and Health board.

A few of the los at our local nursery had it a few weeks back, but we weren't lettered but the nursery teachers informed us verbally.

Ellen
18-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Our school let all the parents know that there had been cases in the school.

Not all schools are the same i'm afraid

Ellen

Daftbat
18-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Although its a notifiable disease its only GOT to be reported to Health Authority and not parents although it would be best practice for schools to do it.

tammerisk
18-03-2009, 04:22 PM
and if it ends up that one of your mindees or your child has it you have to inform ofsted

Demonjill
18-03-2009, 07:12 PM
My sons nursery had a case 2 weeks ago and they just put posters up to inform parents what to look out for etc.

huggableshelly
18-03-2009, 07:49 PM
a mindee was sent home from school with scarlet fever.

I made a call to the health authority 9hertfordshire) they didnt understand why i was calling ... I wanted to know if there was anything more i needed to do other than exclude the child from my care, noone in the office could tell me.

I called ofsted, they told me to call health authority and get back to them as they didnt seem to know either.

I called the NCMA who again were not much help but were able to offer more support and agreeing that children should be excluded for 5 days once they start antiboitics, they too said to call health authoirty again.

ANYWAY 15 children got sent home that day, all had a viral infection NONE had scarlet fever so panic was over nothing.

The school didnt send letters home, parents discussed it in the playground then the teacher came out to say 15 children went home, funny thing is the same 15 children including my mindee were all back in the following day after gaining emergancy Dr appointments are different surgeries all being given the same result.