PDA

View Full Version : Dishearted, annoyed and stressed!!

nicole_kirsty
18-03-2009, 11:27 AM
:angry: :mad: :censored:

Hi

I was due to have 2 children start 30/3 but.... she has now decided it will cost her too much!!! Why do people not think about these things before they agree to childcare! It started off with me having them from 7:30/8am to 5pm/6pm monday to friday. She then tried decided to use her step daughter to look after the kids before she goes to college and after she finishes college (5days a week!) She wanted me to pick the children and step daughter up from her house at 8:30 and drop them all back at 15:00! WELL... I cant do that at it doesnt fit in with the school drop off's/ pick up with my children and the minded child i have already! So she wasnt happy about that! She's now decided its all going to cost too much and is leaving work to look after the kids (which she told me she couldnt bear to do - speanding all that time with her children would be awful for her!! :mad: so why have them then????)

Feel awful now as have got my head round the fact i was going to have them!

Also i asked her for a £100 non refundable deposit but she offered me £243 instead as she could use the childcare voucher from an employer that i have to sign up to accept! So i took the £243 but now she's asking for the £143 extra she gave me back. I have spent this on getting bits ready for the children - including double buggy, buggy board, travel cot, craft bit, toys etc Do you think that i should give her the extra back? What would you do?

This is so so so stressful, just want to look after some children, and earn a bit of money!!!

Sorry about the rant!
Thanks for your patience!
Nicole x

Mouse
18-03-2009, 12:09 PM
It is annoying, but not uncommon. I never count on the children coming until they actually walk through the door on the first day!

If you agreed on a £100 deposit, then I would think that's all you can keep. If the children had started with you, you wouldn't be able to charge the mum for buggies, toys etc, so I don't see that you can charge her out of the extra money she paid you. Presumably the extra £143 would have been towards the first weeks/months fees, so you shouldn't have spent it until you'd done the work.

I'd give her the extra money back, put it down to experience and remember not to spend any money next time until the children start.

FizzysFriends
18-03-2009, 12:11 PM
If you decide to give it her back, you need to do it through the voucher company and not direct to the mom as she hasn't paid tax or NICs on that money.

sarah707
18-03-2009, 12:13 PM
What have you got in writing about the deposit?

Usually they are refunded as part of the first months' income or kept if the parent changes their mind.

However if she gave you extra then you should have stated what part of it was to be kept / refunded on your initial paperwork.

If you didn't do that (fair enough, mistakes happen) then you need to check and see what paperwork she did sign.

If it isn't clear then I think the 2 of you need to come to an agreement you are both happy with.

what you want to avoid is the bad reputation / possible complaint she might make against you if you keep what she feels is her money. I understand you've spent it in the best possible way but even so if it wasn't yours to spend then you have a problem.

You could also contact your insurance company for guidance.

I hope this helps. xx

wendywu
18-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Make sure you refund it in the form of a cheque made out to her. Other wise the tax man will think it was all income. :)

Mrs.L.C
18-03-2009, 01:13 PM
This is a pain and quite common around hereesp at the moment. When parents come for a visit I talk about fees and if they are high fees then I ask the parents if they are sure they can defo afford it etc and try to offer a discount where possible for full timers. I put this the nicest way possible and explain to them why im asking

Daftbat
18-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree if the money was done through vouchers you need arrange for it to go back to the voucher provider.

Its a steep learning curve at times in this job and i am sure i speak for many when i say we have all had some kind of situation which has reformed outr thinking and we have changed policies etc in order to save the same thing happening again.

Take a breath and get ready for the next enquiry.

peanuts
18-03-2009, 01:36 PM
you will have to reimburse the voucher company not her.

beckyteddy
18-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I had something similar last week, although no money changed hands. A mum rang on Tuesday to confirm that she wanted her son to start with me the following Monday (she and her little one had been round for a get to know you session with me at my house and she had read through all the paperwork etc. including fees), so I spent that evening preparing contracts, organising in my mind how I would manage with pushchairs/car seats etc. what activities we would be able to do etc. then I got a phone call from her husband the next day to say that they had changed their mind as they coudn't afford me!

They knew how much my fee's were and how much it would cost them weeks ago, I was so dissapointed that they had messed me around like that for no reason. I charge #3.50 an hour and they said they had found somebody who would do the work for #2.80. (Sorry my pound key doesn't work!).

I think the thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that the mum had been so cowardly about cancelling with me and she had got her husband to phone instead of doing it herself. Anyway, I keep thinking that if they were that much trouble to deal with in the space of 24 hours, then I'm probably better of without them! And I'm sure your situation would have been the same, if the family coudn't really have afforded the fee's and were trying to cut corners by getting family involved it might have been hadr work all along.

Keep your chin up, something will come your way soon, I'm sure x

Bananabrain
18-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree if the money was done through vouchers you need arrange for it to go back to the voucher provider.

Its a steep learning curve at times in this job and i am sure i speak for many when i say we have all had some kind of situation which has reformed outr thinking and we have changed policies etc in order to save the same thing happening again.

Take a breath and get ready for the next enquiry.

Steep learning curve:laughing: I'll say.

I thought I'd look after a few children,we would all have a lovely time playing and making lovely things and it would all be lovely.HA HA HA

How wrong was I?:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
18-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Stick to your contract and you will be within the law. DO NOT refund her the money as it is fraud and you will be party to it.

Inform her that you cannot refund it to her and say that you can return the money to the voucher provider and that she needs to contact them to find out the procedure.

She may decide to use the money up with you.

wendywu
18-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Yes i did not read it properly. On no account refund the parent, you have to give it back to the voucher company:)

nicole_kirsty
18-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Thank you all for your replies! I will tell her i will refund the extra money and as you all advised will tell her i have to do it through the voucher company and explain why.

There doesnt seem to be alot of work in my area at the mo, (too many childminders i think!) so was really pleased i had this one. Fingers crossed for some enquirys soon - and people that want childcare!

Thanks everyone
Nicole xx

nicole_kirsty
19-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Just a last update!

I emailed, told her that i had spent the money - detailed what i spent it on and told her about the many hours i had spent getting my papaerwork in order. Which is all true. I also advised her that i would some how find the money to refund but would have to do it through the voucher company.

I just recieved a email this morning saying she hadn't relised the lengths i had gone to in getting ready for the children and not to worry about the money!! That is a relief!

Thanks to you all again. I love this forum and always have a look for info to build my knowledge of every aspect of childminding! I think my other half thinks i'm having an affair!

Take care
Nic x :clapping:

Monkey1
19-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Thats brilliant! At least now you are ready equipped for the next lot!:clapping: :clapping:

nicole_kirsty
19-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I know! Soooo please, it is def a big relief!!

xx

angeldelight
19-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Just a last update!

I emailed, told her that i had spent the money - detailed what i spent it on and told her about the many hours i had spent getting my papaerwork in order. Which is all true. I also advised her that i would some how find the money to refund but would have to do it through the voucher company.

I just recieved a email this morning saying she hadn't relised the lengths i had gone to in getting ready for the children and not to worry about the money!! That is a relief!

Thanks to you all again. I love this forum and always have a look for info to build my knowledge of every aspect of childminding! I think my other half thinks i'm having an affair!

Take care
Nic x :clapping:

Wow thats great news and great that she was so understanding about it

Hope you get some more calls soon

Angel xx